Zebra 3 feature suggestions

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

At this point I just want to see a Zebra 3 beta in whatever initial state it is.

I would like to see the addition of a LPG. That would be nice.

pdxindy wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:35 pm At this point I just want to see a Zebra 3 beta in whatever initial state it is.
What if it's just code with scripts and no UI? All text based, like an excel spreadsheet. Would that satisfy? :hihi:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:18 pmThe ability to copy/paste multiple modules or entire lanes would also be huge.
Maybe something like this from the old Zebra thread: 'I added "Replace by..." to the todo list.'
I hope Urs hasn't thrown away his old Z3 todo list. :)
Last edited by spunkmuffin on Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

spunkmuffin wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:24 pm
pdxindy wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:35 pm At this point I just want to see a Zebra 3 beta in whatever initial state it is.
What if it's just code with scripts and no UI? All text based, like an excel spreadsheet. Would that satisfy? :hihi:
would be more than what we have now!! hehehe

pdxindy wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:54 pm
spunkmuffin wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:24 pm
would be more than what we have now!! hehehe
Yeah the forum would light up with people screaming. Urs would be screaming back. Locking threads. Imagine! :hyper:
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

Just wanted to re-plug the "noise and randomness" idea... would love more quantity, more modifiable and more "flavors" of noise and randomness as modulators (and sound sources, in the case of noise), as touched on here:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=504638

Bell curve distributions of varying widths and shapes, inverted bell curves (or sin and cos?), etc. The "random walk" idea is pretty cool as well.

Joe Leidigkeit wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:51 pm Will it be possible to lock whole modules (e.g. OSCs, Arp) in Zebra3 when switching presets?
And something like the module presets like in Hive?

Oh, and perhaps midi out? :)
?
:)

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:18 pm Per module presets would definitely be nice, bonus points if we could even set default settings for modules (especially effects). The ability to copy/paste multiple modules or entire lanes would also be huge.
Copy & paste.
+1

Sorry to bring up what seemed a bit contentious but felt I should weigh in based on my personal use re the # of filters / XMFs discussion:
I regularly use every single filter in Zebra at once, and on monophonic/low-polyphony patches these plus one or two of the Diva filters, in my work.I'm definitely on the experimental side and I'm almost always live-programming/designing when both performing and recording: the params of the modules are parts of a living instrument for me, and patches are just starting points, so my use case might be less common, but I know plenty of other folks do this sort of thing. The only filters that don't figure into my patches much are the Diva HPFs. I can see how so many filters is overkill for traditional subtractive synthesis and emulation of older synths, but it's a godsend for some of us.
Assuming Zebra 2/HZ is kept viable over the next many years I'll be fine just continuing to stick with it, but it seems a real shame not to bring this unusually comprehensive timbral shaping capability forward into Z3.
filmmaker/composer - http://www.brookhinton.com

The ability to tune oscillators in overtones and undertones, filter cutoff in hz and see the individual partials being controlled in the spectral modes of the oscillators. To help with FM synthesis, formant/modal synthesis and additive synthesis respectively. Kind of more about usability than providing new options since more precise measurements of some of the parameters can make various synthesis methods easier to work with.

YES to those!
filmmaker/composer - http://www.brookhinton.com

Urs wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:22 pm
fladd wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:54 am
Urs wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:19 am For instance, the LFOs will drop custom waveforms
:-(
I wonder what's the reason for this and whether there will be other ways then to achieve the same results.
<...>
MSEGs can already do everything an LFO can. So why not hand it over to them and make LFOs special in other ways? If it isn't enough, we can always bring shapes back, but for now I'd like to try this approach.
For me, MSEGs are no true replacement, as they are (naturally) always retriggered by notes and can't operate globally across voices, potentially synced to the host's musical grid.

Urs, I hope you reconsider this decision. Global LFOs with custom waveform editing similar to MSEGs is something I really hoped to finally see in Z3

karrikuh wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:00 am
Urs wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:22 pm
fladd wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:54 am
Urs wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:19 am For instance, the LFOs will drop custom waveforms
:-(
I wonder what's the reason for this and whether there will be other ways then to achieve the same results.
<...>
MSEGs can already do everything an LFO can. So why not hand it over to them and make LFOs special in other ways? If it isn't enough, we can always bring shapes back, but for now I'd like to try this approach.
For me, MSEGs are no true replacement, as they are (naturally) always retriggered by notes and can't operate globally across voices, potentially synced to the host's musical grid.

Urs, I hope you reconsider this decision. Global LFOs with custom waveform editing similar to MSEGs is something I really hoped to finally see in Z3
MSEG's can act globally (mono mode)... but there isn't a free running mode... which would be easy to add.

Zebra 3 will have phase modulation, correct? I've tried 2 synths now that have both FM and PM, and both times I've liked PM more.

I believe you can already do PM in Zebra2 via the OscFX. Check out the OscFX section of the manual.

Return to “u-he”