One Synth Challenge #117: ModulAir by Full Bucket (Rellik Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ModulAir

Thanks for the ride Rellik. That clang is what I couldn't quite get making me settle on light tinging (wow, that just sounds wrong lol). Will be a big help and sounds like a lot of variations can be had. I think I know the SoS article you are referring to, using the Nord modular I believe?

And the ring mod: I thought that much on the carrier/modulator routing, but the couple of times I patched it in it seemed to make zero difference, so I am missing a step somewhere.

Hey Schiing, I like that melody. It's catchy! Tuba really sounds like a tuba, too.
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

Just saw the update, Rellik. You must have posted while I was typing. Thanks again!

eh, probably not going to be able to finish anything this month, but find attached a REESE bass and SN patch i made for ModulAir. if you get any miles out of either let me know!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

] Peter:H [ wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:35 pm @Exponent - NIce track, my sub woofer tells me, I shoud tell you, he or she loves your track ;-)
Just one tipp - I've had two listening experiences with your track. On shitty consumer speakers there's no bass at all, i.e. the lower mids are quite subtle. May be you can try to "distort" your bass by amplitude modulation with a lfo close to audible range. just imagine the wave form of a sine of 40 hz where a 100 hz lfo carves out little tiny saw tooths... On my monitor rigg the bass is just bad ass ;-)
Peter I think I fixed the mix a bit with your suggestion. Updated my original post with the new upload. Please leave feedback :)

Sooo, I've finally resumed playing around with this. I do love the concept of the synth and the potential it has, but I just can't get a clean, complex sound out of it and there are a number of annoyances that sort of pull me back a bit.
Besides the DC clicks it easily gets, once you use anything like FM or comb filters or anything that does anything more complex, the dual envelopes don't get sustain pedal and also somehow like to stumble, if you use a slow attack, suddenly giving hard attacks and so on.
I know how tough DSP is and how processing expensive it gets, if you try to get aliasing out of the way, but this thing gets a wee bit too scratch for my taste. Maybe I just have a go at doing a simple synth type of thing with it, but it is a pity, because it has plenty of potential to design amazing sounds, once quality had a chance to be greater.
No less, I believe some great tracks will appear here and I know that Björn has the power to pull of the most amazing synths as many of his show for a long time already. I hope, this one gets a chance to climb into the same eagle's nest where the rest of them are already.

mmGhost, your Reese patch showed me what the heck I've been doing wrong with the ring mod....actually connecting it's output to something. :dog: Inspired me to make a Hoover.

https://soundcloud.com/eauson/in-search ... b-modulair

DRM 15

53 Fullbuckets Modular
All fx listed on Soundcloud
Last edited by Eauson on Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

MY ENTRY. Again!

ModulAir is messing with my system! I'm pulling my *second* submission, and fronting this as my entry instead (or maybe I'm just posting all my tracks to the thread to get more listeners on my Soundcloud - you be the judge :D )

I was fairly happy with my last track, in that vintage sort of way - but ModulAir keeps bringing good stuff, and after conferring with TheNeverScene and his excellent ears, this is the one. :hihi:

I might add some flute to the horn section before the end of the month, but otherwise it should be there.

I'm editing my previous posts, so as not to confuse bjporter and RichardSemper!

https://soundcloud.com/terjefjelde/playa

DAW: Studio One Pro 4.1.0.
ModulAirs: 16 (all from scratch, no wavetables)
Master chain: BootEQmkII -> TDRVOSSlickEQ -> DD Reverb -> ProEQ -> WA TubeSaturator Free -> Limiter6

Other EFX: DD Compressor (3), DD Delay (9), ProEQ (11), TalReverb4 (12), BarkofDog2 (1), TDRVOSSlickEQ (2), BootEQmkII (1), WA TubeSaturator Free (2), BitterSweet (3)
Last edited by schiing on Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

I've just made this curious little experiment, using comb filters and the delay to create a little effect inside the box, so to say. Kind of interesting, I find... :shrug:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hey, Schiing...your usual expertise regarding harmonies and the jazz joy, but that kick is not nice. Way too moompfy (I shall declare this a word now!). The pitch env is too slow on it, I think, and it shouldn't cover the bass, but peck it, so to say. Would feel more deliberate that way. :shrug: ...but the rest, well... you're a freaking master, countering your usual humility (...the lovable kind!). :hug:

Taron wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:59 pm Hey, Schiing...your usual expertise regarding harmonies and the jazz joy, but that kick is not nice. Way too moompfy (I shall declare this a word now!). The pitch env is too slow on it, I think, and it shouldn't cover the bass, but peck it, so to say. Would feel more deliberate that way. :shrug: ...but the rest, well... you're a freaking master, countering your usual humility (...the lovable kind!). :hug:
Hey, thanks! I have to look into that. It's so weird - I though I had the best kick I've ever done, it sounds positively awesome on all my systems - on my stereo, monitors and all three headphones! There is a pretty hefty delay on it - my equipment must have fooled me! Much appreciated.

[edit: hopefully it's fixed now. cut off a chunk of its tail - immediately took out 0.5db on the master, should be cleaner...]
Last edited by schiing on Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

*decay*

Yeah, that's the evil thing of listening on a nice speaker system with woofer and all, but if you listen to it with headphones, it's very merciless, revealing a different kind of balance and character. The good news are, getting it "right" will continue to sound awesome under all circumstances!

Well, folks, I may be a little late to the game and therefore not sure, if you've talked about this already, but without saying too much, I'd like to hint at that this mysterious beast is essentially an Octuple Cheese...making it quite possible to create some incredible sounds. I may very well make a track, that's all I'm saying! :hihi: 8)

Taron wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:25 am Well, folks, I may be a little late to the game and therefore not sure, if you've talked about this already, but without saying too much, I'd like to hint at that this mysterious beast is essentially an Octuple Cheese...making it quite possible to create some incredible sounds. I may very well make a track, that's all I'm saying! :hihi: 8)
Yeah, it slipped my mind, but when I saw your previous post describing its faults it occurred to me that I should defend it, because I felt that the learning curve is much longer than usual with this one. Once I get to know it better I realize that my early misgivings wasn't so much to do with the synth as it was about my inexperience with it (shock, I know!) :lol: Glad to hear you're on the right track!

And I should thank you again (and curse you!) for mentioning my kick flaw. I started repairing last night, at first with a quick fix. And then, of course, as always, one thing follows the other - and before long I had redefined the entire bottom/mid eq section! It's all good, though - I think I got a warmer and more attractive mix as a result. Phew. :tu:

Return to “Instruments”