First analog synth investment(s) - Budget 4,000 USD

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

People I know with 40 year old Minimoogs very rarely need to have them serviced.
Behringer gear on the other hand....

The Sub 37 is a great buy. Besides some of the more obvious features the Model D (and clones) are missing, it has some less obvious ones, like oscillator phase reset. Plus if you get the Sub CV you can play nice with others :)

That and a Blofeld cover a lot of territory with money to spare (I miss my Blofeld - poor choice to sell that) - and you could tack on some FM or sampling / drums with a Digitone or Digitakt.

Or just blow it all on the new Waldorf, which looks like it could take up one human's retirement years :hyper:

I'm going to be that guy and say that in 2018 if you're asking this question then you're just wasting your money. You should already have enough experience with analog modeling soft synths to know almost exactly what you want and why you want that particular hardware.

This thread is going to go on for days with almost nothing worthwhile being said that will actually make any difference. If you just want to consume, then buy what catches your fancy.

ghettosynth wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:58 pm I'm going to be that guy and say that in 2018 if you're asking this question then you're just wasting your money. You should already have enough experience with analog modeling soft synths to know almost exactly what you want and why you want that particular hardware.

This thread is going to go on for days with almost nothing worthwhile being said that will actually make any difference. If you just want to consume, then buy what catches your fancy.
I was exactly thinking something similar, but since this is the hardware thread and I really don't know the feels of the OP for very well modeled softsynths, decided not to say anything...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

goldenanalog wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:27 am I'm going to throw a curve ball at you, borjadja (but it's an honest curve ball - this is precisely the synth that I would buy if someone gave me 4 grand to spend on a new keyboard):

https://waldorfmusic.com/en/quantum

https://waldorfmusic.com/en/specifications-quantum

The oscillators are digital; but the filters are analog - it's a modern-day hybrid (hybrid meant something different back-in-the-day when poly analogs were king) - it's arguably the best of both worlds (digital osc's are rock-solid compared to analog osc's, although we've come a ways since the 80's).
This.

The Quantum is the only polysynth in that range that I’d consider. Well, that or maybe the Solaris.

At the cheaper end of the spectrum, I’d get a Boog or a Neutron, a DeepMind 12, a Peak, and a Blofeld. Oh wait, I already did! :wink:
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

I had a Blofeld for a couple of years. Really liked it at first but the more I used it the less I liked it. There’s something about it’s general tone I don’t get on with.
The feature set is close to ideal though.

Acid Mitch wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:53 am
Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:47 am 10.6 times as long?
Most likely.
No evidence of such a claim..Why would someone drop 4 k.on very outdated sounds seems people have more money then sense.

deastman wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:09 pm
goldenanalog wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:27 am I'm going to throw a curve ball at you, borjadja (but it's an honest curve ball - this is precisely the synth that I would buy if someone gave me 4 grand to spend on a new keyboard):

https://waldorfmusic.com/en/quantum

https://waldorfmusic.com/en/specifications-quantum

The oscillators are digital; but the filters are analog - it's a modern-day hybrid (hybrid meant something different back-in-the-day when poly analogs were king) - it's arguably the best of both worlds (digital osc's are rock-solid compared to analog osc's, although we've come a ways since the 80's).
This.

The Quantum is the only polysynth in that range that I’d consider. Well, that or maybe the Solaris.

At the cheaper end of the spectrum, I’d get a Boog or a Neutron, a DeepMind 12, a Peak, and a Blofeld. Oh wait, I already did! :wink:

I have the Quantum it does absolutely everything I want it to do. Everything is controllable via the ton of front panel knobs and a nice big touch screen, this thing sounds amazing. Use it as a sampler or whatever, has SD Card and plenty fabulous FX (5 per patch) the sequencer is fantastic, it's only 2 part multi but still a monster synth. All 3 OSCs can play chords per OSC and you can split/layer etc.
There's too many features to mention but this synth is the best synth Iv'e ever used. If you have 4k then buy one.. make sure you get someone to help you lift it on the desk tho it's a heavy f**ker lol

Rob

lacandon wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:34 pm on very outdated sounds
If the sounds are outdated then why are hardware and software replicas still selling so well?

Acid Mitch wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:58 pm
lacandon wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:34 pm on very outdated sounds
If the sounds are outdated then why are hardware and software replicas still selling so well?
Ask the ones who buying it I don t the name perhaps snobism.Why ppl buy so.much Gucci its absolute rubbish ?People are stupid and naive sometimes easy target for capitalists .Analog was abandoned and electronic music became famous with digital technology and synths.Now its the plugins era serum,avenger,massive etc are the most popular sounds.Moog its very overrated it sounds always the same.

ghettosynth wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:58 pm I'm going to be that guy and say that in 2018 if you're asking this question then you're just wasting your money. You should already have enough experience with analog modeling soft synths to know almost exactly what you want and why you want that particular hardware.

kind of agree, except that if i was looking to drop 4k on one synth, i wouldn't be wasting time online, id be finding somewhere to go and test the things i had my eye on.
screw other peoples opinions on 4k spends!

4000 dollars seems to me to be a liability, not an investment, unless you are a studio charging clients or using it because only IT can do what you want for your music as a profession. My 2 cents.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

JunSev wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:08 pm I was exactly thinking something similar, but since this is the hardware thread and I really don't know the feels of the OP for very well modeled softsynths, decided not to say anything...
For The Legend
http://sound-force.nl/?page_id=2387

For REPRO-5
http://sound-force.nl/?page_id=2412

vurt wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:53 pm

kind of agree, except that if i was looking to drop 4k on one synth, i wouldn't be wasting time online, id be finding somewhere to go and test the things i had my eye on.
screw other peoples opinions on 4k spends!
I don't understand how one gets to "I'm going to spend 4k on a synth that I know nothing about" unless it's just consumption or 4k means nothing to you. But, if 4k means nothing to you then just drop 20k and get a schmidt.

In general, I think that these kinds of threads are generally just awkward "look at me/talk to me" threads.

dang, those soundforce controllers are really sexy. being midi, I wonder how well they work with two way comms, for the lights and such. cause the vst's don't have a script in them to make it work, like imposcar did with its controller

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”