Twangström Public Beta (Update: rev 8131)

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wow I been looking for a good spring reverb for a couple months now. I was close to setting for Softtubes but it seemed too limited for the price. It's crazy how there are a million reverbs on the market, and only a handful of them are springs.
Reading through the comments I think it's because most people don't understand what a spring reverb is or how, when, and why to use one.
I like to use springs for similar things I'd use a delay on. I use them to make a snare, vocal adlib, clap, synth stab, or brass hit sound more interesting for effect.

sascha wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:27 pm BP would be easy. We'll add that and put a switch on the UI (Notch|BP). Would probably default to notch, though.
BP would definitely be appreciated.

sascha wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:27 pm BP would be easy. We'll add that and put a switch on the UI (Notch|BP).
:o Gottrahmen's 1st post on KVR, requests a feature and the very next post Sascha jumps in and grants his wish. Looks like a cunningly orchestrated set-up by the u-he cabal to generate buzz & controversy around Twangström. I approve. :tu:
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

I guess this world sees too many conspiracy theories atm., so: no. Frankly, I don't care who asks me questions here in this (lengthyyy) thread; if I can answer them right away, I will.
The reason it took us an instant was that William in fact filed a ticket for it a while ago, and I tell you what: he already implemented it today.
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

sascha wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:57 pm I guess this world sees too many conspiracy theories atm.
Yes, plug Google (scyring mirror) into Hollywood (magic wand). Poof! ... A proverb of modernity--a synthesiser proverb!

super and thanks re BP! :clap:

color tape/labels like in CoCo and presswerk would be cool too

Oh yeah, how could they forget the color tape?! :D

(Seriously I'd say all future u-he effects should have it!)

yes - seriously ;-)

first time i really would have needed it
testing twangstrom, now for post-EQing on seperate busses (multiple times/multiple instances)
lets me turn knobs without any effect: oops wrong twangstrom instance! :-)

tape/label is needed! :-)

So far it's best spring verb emulation I've heard, but I agree it's too dark and limited to safer territory.
May be there should be 'wild' button? :D
muki wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:39 pm tape/label is needed! :-)
Bring it to other Synths too. I'm easily getting lost in Diva or Zebra instances
Murderous duck!

sascha wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:27 pm BP would be easy. We'll add that and put a switch on the UI (Notch|BP). Would probably default to notch, though.
:tu:

sascha wrote:Spring reverbs don't do anything to pitch. Put a static sound in and you're left with a stable copy of it. What it indeed does is changing attacks. Highs travel much more slower than lows, so you have that upwards chirp in every attack. (rotational transverse waves)
BTW, a plate does the inverse, its treble contents are always first.
Either way, both do their 'time travel' on percussive material.
hmm, very interesting! :)

I know it doesn't beat any added feature request but for anyone interested in adding 'extra grit' , there is a valid hack..
it requires you to sacrifice the ENV fol. and at least a mod slot.

The EF can be turned into a distortion unit..

For example:
-ENV attack and release set to min.
-use source IN/OUT for dist flavors (i.e. odd/even skewed) (or set source to EXT. if you feel adventurous ;) )
-mod slot: select Env -> "Out: Out Gain" and set it to -100 for maximum effect... and then compensate volume with the Output knob.

right-click on the selected target for more options... you can set a different transfer curve or slew rate to further customize your distortion character

added: experiment with other parameters too.. you never know what you gonna find..

^^ this! Getting plenty of grit for my tastes by tweaking, but yeah, it's still reverby ;)
Incidentally, this works a treat with Bitwig's modulators. Tomorrow I'm planning to try adding it to the tank slot of the native reverb (just thought of that)...

illwillis wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:40 pm I like it; don't love it yet tho. I agree with Niowiad about the wet/dry. I'm having a hard time finding a sweet spot, especially on short sounds like a snare. I feel like it's either too wet or too much dry is coming through and the reverb becomes "disconnected" from the source too easily. I'd also like a little more filter control within the plugin. I definitely find myself needing post-EQ to shape the reverb.

That said, I'll probably still buy it lol.
I don't know what's with the mix knob, I just noticed I'm getting much better and more natural blending with REAPER's per-plugin dry/wet knob.

WIth that said, again, I'm still definitely buying this before Jan 7th.

Are we sure we all mean the same thing when asking for grit?

I think some are talking about saturation, others about the springs being able to go into less musical, more ringing, bright ‚sproing‘ territory?
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

Return to “u-he”