Aurora FM - New Win(32/64) VSTi FM synthesizer - Introductory pricing

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Aurora FM

Great.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

RyFi wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:57 am New version up!
  • Improved custom GUI scaling. Now there's a handle in the bottom-right corner for on-the-fly continuous resizing as opposed to the old method which destroyed and recreated the GUI at each new size. The new method is much quicker at resizing. You can still use CTL/SHIFT + mousewheel on the main window to change the size in 5% increments, plus you can double-click on the main window to reset the size to unity.
  • Improvements to the envelope / key scale controls:
    • Increased the size of the cursor hitbox for the point handles by a couple of pixels.
    • You can now distinguish when the cursor's over a point. The point handle is highlighted more when the cursor's over it as opposed to when it's the currently displaying point.
  • A 2nd theme to placate users who don't like the gradients. It doesn't have any gradients and has slightly higher-contrast text in a few places.
  • Minor graphical tweaks.
Taking bets on how many posts until someone bitches about the new theme I so generously gave. I'm guessing 1... :wink:
:tu: Thanks Ryan, looking forward to try this out! :)

You might want to submit the .dll to Norton for White Listing.

Norton 120318-1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:56 pm You might want to submit the .dll to Norton for White Listing.

Norton 120318-1.png
Whoa, what the hell?!... Thanks for letting me know! Will do.

What does it say under "View Details"?

ZeePok wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:30 pm :tu: Thanks Ryan, looking forward to try this out! :)
Thanks, man!

Oh, no Mac version. Pity, I really wanted to give this one a run. Anyway, congrats for the work, your plugin looks interesting. I hope people like it.
MAN FROM SPACE
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/135uz9UwHtdXZgiFyAc3oz
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/manfromspace

GumRoad (FREE Ableton racks and synth presets): https://gumroad.com/manfromspace

Stefken wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:57 am While design is a more fuzzy subject than e.g. physics, there is still a set of rules there is consensus about. So, no it's not all a matter of opinion. There is also extensive theory about how to use colors and your implementation is way off my friend.

Obviously there is no hate towards your gui; I know gui's can become like your child but it is also part of the learning process of a designer to be able to take a step back and accept criticism. It's a tough nut to crack, I know. But it's part of the job. And sorry your gui still needs a lot of work.

So don't be a childish stubborn one man project and learn to accept some criticism.
Your choice. This is the last thing I'm saying about it.
fmr wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:02 am Your attitude seems very close to that of Admiral Quality. He too refused the evidence that his GUI was ugly and keep many potential customers away of his product. Until he admited, and allowed skinning. But then it was too late.

You are following the same path, and can't admit that there are many who find your approach ugly and uninspiring, and your "color theory" something to laugh about. And no, I'm not "bitching" about the "new theme" because I wouldn't even bother installing the demo just to check it, after what you wrote. Anyway, I'm well served in what concerns FM synths, and my curiosity feel satisfied now. Good luck
Sigh... Alright, let's try this one more time...

Guys: Believe it or not, I'm trying my damnedest to be receptive to solid, objective advice and to have the best interests of my synth in mind, and I don't want anyone to grimace in disgust while using my synth or worse, not want to use it at all. I really am. I'm a pretty damn open-minded guy, I respect constructive criticism, and I try my best to exhibit understanding, respect, and gratitude.

I've been open to receiving constructive, OBJECTIVE, fact-based critiques of my interface for as long as people have been dissing it, and my straight up feeling is that nobody is giving this to me, and all I'm getting is non-specific complaints that it's WRONG because it's not WHAT THEY WANT. Over and over again, this is all I'm feeling. Despite my efforts to solicit feedback that's more constructive, I feel like nobody's meeting me at my level. You guys aren't anywhere near as good at making your point as you think you are, but I'm probably just as guilty of that too.

So yeah, I'm getting sick of hearing people say "Make it the way I want it to look because the way you want it to look is wrong" over and over, pissing all over my thread so that visitors can read this nasty disagreement about the GUI and absolutely nothing about its synthesis engine and all the things it does right. It sucks. Of course I'm going to be bothered and offending and pissed off by that. You would be too if the tables were turned.

But I'm still here, trying once more, because I want to prove to you that I AM open-minded and I DO want to know what people think. Okay?

Let's take a step back and establish some things:
  • I am NOT going to change the primary theme of this synth in ways that I don't want to cater to what other people want. Obviously.
  • I WILL make changes to the primary theme of this synth if I think they are an objective improvement.
  • I have a second theme now, and it's not for me, it's for YOU. I will set it to whatever consensus can be agreed upon without any vetoing or hurt feelings. Are you ready to bear that burden now?
  • Spending dozens to hundreds of hours implementing a customizable skinning system is the furthest thing from what I want to work on. It would be tons of effort to build something that I don't even want and would almost certainly resent (that's not say it wouldn't have some good, toothy programming challenges that I'd enjoy, but I'd still way rather put that time and effort into other things). Yet I'm actually considering it nonetheless, because that's how much I care.
So... fmr, Stefken, woggle (if you're still around)... why don't we start with you discussing amongst yourselves and sending me a re-coloured version of the 2nd theme that you agree is better than what I've provided and better than the primary theme? You can change colours, but you can't change sizes, positions, or any other graphical aspects. Can you do that? Do you think you'd be able to come to a consensus with just the few of you?

I won't even consider letting you change sizes or positions or other graphical elements until you can at least demonstrate that you're willing to work with the constraints that I give you and not just going to quit playing and go home unless I give you 100% control over my synth's GUI. Prove to me that you're serious about this and have worthwhile things to contribute, and then maybe I'll even consider opening up the field and relaxing the rules, okay? But you need to earn my time and attention for right now. This has to be a display of mutual respect and sincerity, not just a "I'm going to complain until I get what I want" exercise.

I'm game if you are. What do you guys say?

P.S. Admiral Quality's Poly-Ana is possibly the most wretched god-awful GUI for a legit product that I've ever seen. It breaks all of the rules, grotesquely. Yet he made the GUI that he wanted, and I still have to respect that because I understand being on that side of things. It just goes to show how much people's tastes differ drastically...

It's good that you are more open minded now. Good for you.

Actually I have promoted your synth in a number of threads for its sound.

As far as the interface exercise is concerned I 'm not feeling really motivated to participate. Actually there is a lot more to repair than just colors. There's the position of elements, the fonts, ...

I'm.not feeling the love in this thread to spend x hours on it for free. Unless I get really really bored ....

Well just a few pointers. Use desaturated colors for large surfaces and backgrounds (various shades of grey are always a safe bet), use the contrast analyser for sufficient contrast between text and background, use adobe kuler\color for color palettes, use knowledge of eye movements for placement of elements, study layouts of other vsts; there are actual a lot of common elements, don't hide your settings behind a questionmark: that is commonly for help not settings. There are separate color palettes for colorblind online. Give elements that have the same function (say operators) a common look that is different from other elements (say effects for example) ; see gestalt principles of perception. And lay low on lsd type of gradients ;)

Dude, if you don't even want to take me up on my offer/invitation to provide a re-colouring of my 2nd theme, then I really don't know what you want from me and what you're trying to accomplish here... Argh!
Stefken wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:06 pm don't hide your settings behind a questionmark: that is commonly for help not settings.
Good grief, that's one heck of a nitpick, but...okay, maybe? I dunno, I just wanted it to be the fewest possible characters so the button could be as small as possible. Would a '!' be better? Or a '*", or what?
And lay low on lsd type of gradients ;)
It's the freaking Aurora! It's a cohesive theme, and it's tasteful! Argh! :cry:
Actually I have promoted your synth in a number of threads for its sound.
I actually did notice that just the other day. THANK YOU! :)

I definitely think this is a positive step in the right direction by the way, so thank you :)

nachenko wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:57 pm Oh, no Mac version. Pity, I really wanted to give this one a run. Anyway, congrats for the work, your plugin looks interesting. I hope people like it.
Thank you, and yeah, I know, sorry about the no Mac version. :( I wish I could rationalize it, but I can't.

mcbpete wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:59 pm I definitely think this is a positive step in the right direction by the way, so thank you :)
Okay, cool - happy to hear that! I forgot that you were one of those not totally digging the GUI with the others, so I'd extend the offer just the same to you. You're welcome to collaborate with fmr and Stefken in providing me better colours to use on the second theme, if you want... or not... whatever...

great update(s) and i love the new, gradient-less ui (feels more clean, open, whatever words fit there).

exmatproton wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:12 pm great update(s) and i love the new, gradient-less ui (feels more clean, open, whatever words fit there).
Thanks, man!

yeah, great work on the new GUI, :tu: just might give it a spin now! :party:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Return to “Instruments”