Presswerk mastering tip

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Open Presswerk, increase saturation amount and it starts to compress. Or better, amount all the way up and adjust with dynamics...perfect for mastering! :tu:

I use this trick pre, then add compression if I want to compress more. This made things so much easier for me.

Here's a quick Mastering approach with it.... put Presswerk in the "Limiter" view mode. Start adjusting the threshold.... everything instantly gets VERY hot even with just a few db, yet still quite balanced / clean. One of the easiest, 'quick and dirty' routes to punchy loud mixes I've ever seen.

mholloway wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:02 pm Here's a quick Mastering approach with it.... put Presswerk in the "Limiter" view mode. Start adjusting the threshold.... everything instantly gets VERY hot even with just a few db, yet still quite balanced / clean. One of the easiest, 'quick and dirty' routes to punchy loud mixes I've ever seen.
Yeah its very cool actually but didn't work for me (wanted more control), at-least with the mixes I tried.

-Starting with saturation adjustment dealt with snare-like peaks without affecting other things like vocals much. The warmth knob is amazing.
-A little feed-back mode for further compression is musical. Similar attack/release settings to the limiter but not an insane ratio, also soft knee can be helpful
-Then the DPR for tone if needed and M/S button usually enough for musical widening. Channel link is usually at zero.
-finally driving the soft-clipper for more saturation and loudness.

An eq before and a finishing limiting after, everything between presswerk can handle with such step-by-step approach if the mix isn't too problematic.

Here's mastering tip: learn what mastering is first.

Lesson Zero: mastering is not nesceserely maximising the loudness

Elektronisch wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:26 pm Here's mastering tip: learn what mastering is first.

Thank you Mr. Condescending Internet Guy, you've really showed us! Go back to making Youtube videos, KVR doesn't need your 'services.'

I always forget exactly what mastering means, so here is what wikipedia says (so it must be true.......well, wikipedia is usually true in my experience):

Examples of possible actions taken during mastering:

Editing minor flaws.
Applying noise reduction to eliminate clicks, dropouts, hum and hiss.
Adjusting stereo width.
Adding ambience.
Equalize audio across tracks for the purpose of optimized frequency distribution.
Adjust volume.
Dynamic range compression or expansion.
Peak limit.
Dither.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

mholloway wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:28 pm
Elektronisch wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:26 pm Here's mastering tip: learn what mastering is first.

Thank you Mr. Condescending Internet Guy, you've really showed us! Go back to making Youtube videos, KVR doesn't need your 'services.'
:lol: :tu:

aaron aardvark wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:18 am ...
When we start a mix, we can say we want an SSL, Neve etc. type sound and work our way through it. In mastering though we can't do that, you listen and apply whatever is best for the song.

mholloway wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:28 pm

Well that is a strange, i gave a legitimate tip and you got offended. You must think about yourself so good and your ego must be so big your ass is firing fireworks. What a morron, go back back to the hospital you left, you still need a brain surgery to be done on you.

Guys...

I find the M/S mode to be very useful upon master/buss(s).
Quick rock-sound tip: Compress the sides more than the middle.

Howard wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:32 amGuys...
:tu: :tu:

Elektronisch wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:18 am Well that is a strange, i gave a legitimate tip and you got offended.
Welcome to Internet -- last frontier of freedom and all the bad things.
Murderous duck!

Return to “u-he”