Will VST3 be enforced and make my abandonware useless?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fanodu1 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:25 am VST2 at this point is way too established to be abandoned by any major DAW, so no worries.
Funny that, I remember reading the exact same thing about 32-bit VST plugins.

Probably interesting for many people: https://www.kvraudio.com/news/steinberg ... d-67-43543
New Steinberg:Vst:IMidiLearn (Plug-in): allow a Plug-in to get the currently live playing MIDI CC to implement custom MIDI learning.
So, if i understand that right, there's no need to moan about lack of native MIDI learn support in VST3's anymore?

What is more disturbing is that it essentially freezes new developers from creating plugins that use VST2 unless they signed the agreement before the cutoff. That may have the effect of stifling innovation. I think it is time to move on from VST and have a universal standard that is not controlled by one company (kind of what happened with MIDI). That would give all devs some input into its design and feature improvements.

So whatever happened to VST1? How come no one bitched about the change VST2.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

The real problem is that some DAWs (Ableton, Reason) don't offer VST3 support presently. As a result, any new developer cannot create plugins that will work on these platforms. That is a pretty large chunk of the market. And Steinberg has no plans to release 2.x as an open source platform.

https://sdk.steinberg.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=612

tony10000 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:07 pm I think it is time to move on from VST and have a universal standard that is not controlled by one company (kind of what happened with MIDI). That would give all devs some input into its design and feature improvements.
It exists, but because the major DAWs haven't implemented it devs still need to build a VST version of their plugins... which means there is no incentive for major DAWs to implement it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LV2

imrae wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:49 am
tony10000 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:07 pm I think it is time to move on from VST and have a universal standard that is not controlled by one company (kind of what happened with MIDI). That would give all devs some input into its design and feature improvements.
It exists, but because the major DAWs haven't implemented it devs still need to build a VST version of their plugins... which means there is no incentive for major DAWs to implement it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LV2

I am aware of LV2 but it remains to be seen if it will catch on with developers and DAW makers. I hope that companies will not simply revert to their own proprietary standards. That would be a nightmare for developers who already have to support VST2/VST3, AAX, and AU.

At this point it's not "catching on" in any big way. My point was that we don't need to invent a new open standard; developers can make a strong move in that direction by adopting one that already exists.

imrae wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:04 am At this point it's not "catching on" in any big way. My point was that we don't need to invent a new open standard; developers can make a strong move in that direction by adopting one that already exists.
Understood...

In case anybody is interested, there is a pretty heated thread on the Juce forum:

https://forum.juce.com/t/steinberg-clos ... good/27722

v1o wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:42 am So whatever happened to VST1? How come no one bitched about the change VST2.
VST2 was offered as a better option to freely use, VST3 is forced with legal threat and DMCA Notices. Which is the signal for the end of the VST market.

On to the mobile market.

If only the laptop DAWs had implemented open standards.
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

JunSev wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:34 am That is exactly what I think, many of my best software synths and effects are VSTs (no 2 or 3)
VST1 instruments don't exist. :idea:

T-CM11 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:12 pm
JunSev wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:34 am That is exactly what I think, many of my best software synths and effects are VSTs (no 2 or 3)
VST1 instruments don't exist. :idea:
I didn't say VST1, I said VSTs because that's how it shows in my daw and some installations o the softawares, sometimes it says VST2 or just VST in some cases.

JunSev wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:31 pm I didn't say VST1, I said VSTs because that's how it shows in my daw and some installations o the softawares, sometimes it says VST2 or just VST in some cases.
It doesn't matter what software reports what. If a VST plugin isn't VST2 or 3, then it's VST1 - what else would it be? Maybe I don't understand what you're trying to say. :shrug:

T-CM11 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:35 pm
JunSev wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:31 pm I didn't say VST1, I said VSTs because that's how it shows in my daw and some installations o the softawares, sometimes it says VST2 or just VST in some cases.
It doesn't matter what software reports what. If a VST plugin isn't VST2 or 3, then it's VST1 - what else would it be? Maybe I don't understand what you're trying to say. :shrug:
Maybe is just what it is, if some of it report in the installation process it is VST and some of it VST2 I guess is the way I should say what is exactly; if doesn't say VST1, I don't say VST1, I have to call it as how it shows: VST. with all respect.

Return to “Instruments”