Help request: Recording MIDI CCs from external hardware

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have W9, a MIDI keyboard with some knobs, and a Roland SE-02 (everything is controllable by MIDI). I have a recorded MIDI track with notes played from the MPK being sent to the SE-02 via the Insert Plugin. I have a separate track that plays the audio out, triggered by the recorded MIDI notes from the SE-02, on Inputs 3+4.

I'm trying to figure out how to record the Filter Contour knob (CC59) on the SE-02 such that, during playback, both the notes recorded from the MPK and the CC's from the Filter Contour knob are sent to the SE-02 to hear changes dynamically. I'd love to directly record the CC changes from the SE-02 while turning the knob and also while playing the notes on the MPK. Is that impossible to do and then get it to play it back? I mean, I can record the MIDI CC out from just the SE-02 on a separate track, but then how do I merge that with the notes on the other MIDI track? Alternatively, do I have to figure out how to assign knobs from the MPK to the external controller via Waveform (that'd be new to me) in order to record both the notes and the CCs for the Filter Contour?

I find the documentation on Tracktion/Waveform + external hardware lacking, so am hoping to get some help hear. Thanks!

EDIT: For the recorded MIDI clip with notes, I tried using the Controllers drop down and selecting the "59 - (Unnamed)" option under the Control Changes sub-menu and then drawing a curve. It didn't make a difference in the audio playback from the SE-02 - it didn't seem to work.

You need to record automation. The two buttons to the left of the start key in the transport section will help. The red one will let you record the automation, the other lets you play it back. You'll have already set the output from the track to go to your external keyboard. See if that helps.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

jabe wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:51 am You need to record automation. The two buttons to the left of the start key in the transport section will help. The red one will let you record the automation, the other lets you play it back. You'll have already set the output from the track to go to your external keyboard. See if that helps.
Thanks, yeah. Those are both set ON.

I think my issue is that I'm using 2 devices but wanting the MIDI information to be in one track. I think I'll try setting both as inputs into a single track and then see what happens during playback.

EDIT: Well. It recorded notes and the CC events into one track by setting the MPK and SE-02 as inputs - but there was no change when playing it back (again, both automation buttons are enabled). Maybe the events aren't making it to the SE-02 from Waveform9 via the Insert Plugin, even though the notes are?

EDIT 2: I think I figured it out - I'm routing the MIDI on it's way to the Insert Plugin through BlueARP and the controller data must be getting stripped. I'll see if I can keep that from happening.

EDIT 3: SOLVED. Yes, BlueARP was set to ignore "other CC messages" and not pass them along. I changed that setting to allow them to be passed, and then, with both the MPK and the SE-02 as inputs into the same track, with record automation ON, was able to achieve my desired result - which is to have both the recorded notes from the MPK and the recorded knob change from the SE-02 play back and do both things. Also, now I can use the 59-unnamed thing and just draw the curve manually if i wanted, though that ends up with a rougher line than doing it with a continuous knob on the SE-02.

:tu:

Grand, I'll remember your efforts and explanation when I get round to needing to do it! :tu:
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

jabe wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:35 am Grand, I'll remember your efforts and explanation when I get round to needing to do it! :tu:
That's one reason I was trying to be thorough on my details (also... I've referred back to a post I made years earlier before after I figured something out only to later forget it :D ). The key, as far as I can tell, is using multiple inputs on the channel and then making sure no plugins are strippnig wanted MIDI messages.

Appreciated anyway - as you say, always helpful when people write up their findings. I'm wondering what circumstances might get me to even send to an external MIDI device. Possible owning a 34-year old Roland MT32 that I don't feel I've had my money's worth from!

vitocorleone123 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:25 pm I have W9, a MIDI keyboard with some knobs, and a Roland SE-02 (everything is controllable by MIDI). I have a recorded MIDI track with notes played from the MPK being sent to the SE-02 via the Insert Plugin. I have a separate track that plays the audio out, triggered by the recorded MIDI notes from the SE-02, on Inputs 3+4.
I'm also having a “Plugin Insert"-related issue (except in my case it's not an SE-02 but a Behringer D), albeit less complex than yours, i.e. I can't even get past that first stage you mentioned above.
I have a recorded MIDI track sent to the Boog via the Insert Plugin, then a separate audio track that should be playing the MIDI notes through the Model D. I can see the MIDI meter moving on the MIDI track, meaning that MIDI info is being sent, but no sound coming from the Model D into the audio track.
I must be doing something wrong with my routings. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
vitocorleone123 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:25 pm I find the documentation on Tracktion/Waveform + external hardware lacking, so am hoping to get some help hear. Thanks!
I couldn't agree more. I did find Bill Edstrom's tutorial on using the Insert Plugin for external effects, but absolutely nothing about external hardware synths via MIDI - with or without using the Insert Plugin.
MacBook Pro i7 - 16 GB RAM
10.13.6 (High Sierra)
Tracktion 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, W8, W9, W10 Pro, W11 Pro, W11.5 Pro, W12 Pro
Logic Pro X
ProTools 9, 10, 11

Return to “Tracktion”