DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
tony10000
KVRist
274 posts since 4 Aug, 2017

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:53 pm

Richard did an excellent job with this one. Great DSP programming. Great sound and I really like the improvements. I bought it last night. Very pleased.

That said, I would have liked to see some patches from Aiyn Zahev and more skins.

gentleclockdivider
KVRian
1432 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:01 pm

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:49 am
Anyone else find the Synapse terminology confusing?
Shouldn't it be 520 waves rather than oscillators per note? I mean, the whole synth seems to be a 3-oscillator synth, right? 8)
One layer has three oscilators of which 2 of them can be set to 32 osc's
So that 32 times 2 = 64 + 1 subosc = 65
This is for one layer , there are 8 layers
SO 65*8=520
No go crazy in the mod matrix and control/modulate each layer independently :tu:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

woodsdenis
KVRAF
1517 posts since 25 Feb, 2005

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:12 pm

Nice one Richard and all at Synapse, great update.
Mac Pro
10.12.6 Digi 96 io
Cubase 9, Ableton Live 9.7, Bitwig 1.3

User avatar
ere2learn
KVRAF
1616 posts since 3 May, 2014

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:23 pm

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:29 am
Someone post some v3 audio examples to interrupt this v1 off-topic stuff, please. For instance a filter sweep of the new filters. Or the shimmer reverb.
No idea if these are new filters,I didn't have Dune 2


4 filter sweeps at 0,33,66 & 100 resonance


POLARIS 24db Sweep
https://clyp.it/yom5rxnq?token=07cca9e9 ... 774517f7c8

SATURN 24db Sweep
https://clyp.it/1duzehgd?token=4cbbce8d ... 01f2ad3a19

PRO 12db Sweep
https://clyp.it/krq23fgm?token=f9e2e222 ... ec5409bde6

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12922 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:26 pm

gentleclockdivider wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:01 pm
fluffy_little_something wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:49 am
Anyone else find the Synapse terminology confusing?
Shouldn't it be 520 waves rather than oscillators per note? I mean, the whole synth seems to be a 3-oscillator synth, right? 8)
One layer has three oscilators of which 2 of them can be set to 32 osc's
So that 32 times 2 = 64 + 1 subosc = 65
This is for one layer , there are 8 layers
SO 65*8=520
No go crazy in the mod matrix and control/modulate each layer independently :tu:
That's my problem, what is an oscillator? What do you mean by "setting an oscillator to 32 oscillators"? Does Sylenth1 have 32 oscillators according to Dune terminology (2 oscillators x 8 waves x 2 layers)?

Saukar30
KVRian
1112 posts since 2 Mar, 2005

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:27 pm

ere2learn wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:23 pm
fluffy_little_something wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:29 am
Someone post some v3 audio examples to interrupt this v1 off-topic stuff, please. For instance a filter sweep of the new filters. Or the shimmer reverb.
No idea if these are new filters,I didn't have Dune 2


4 filter sweeps at 0,33,66 & 100 resonance


POLARIS 24db Sweep
https://clyp.it/yom5rxnq?token=07cca9e9 ... 774517f7c8

SATURN 24db Sweep
https://clyp.it/1duzehgd?token=4cbbce8d ... 01f2ad3a19

PRO 12db Sweep
https://clyp.it/krq23fgm?token=f9e2e222 ... ec5409bde6
Yes... those are all new filters :D :D

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
14811 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:32 pm

Had a very strange crash.

Went to the main screen that shows the several options for multi threading, etc. and all I did was checked the options for each thing (didn't actually change anything) and suddenly I got a Cubase Not Responding message and a crash.

Very odd, especially since all the patches I've programmed so far, using pretty much all the options available to me (including creating and saving WTs) have produced no problems at all.

So to get a crash just looking at stuff is very odd to say the least.

User avatar
ere2learn
KVRAF
1616 posts since 3 May, 2014

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:32 pm

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:29 am
Or the shimmer reverb.
Shimmer
https://clyp.it/twkaphgl?token=54c252e1 ... 5efb72bab0

User avatar
Urs
u-he
23362 posts since 8 Aug, 2002 from Berlin

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:40 pm

v1o wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:10 am
So in effect you lose your licence if your serial falls into the wrong hands? That sounds illegal. No one would would admit to giving away their serial number, so they will tell you their email account was hacked into and the code was stolen from there.
If you're concerned about u-he policies, please make it known in our support forum.
And also how can you be so sure that no one could use a computer program to randomly generate serials. They are some very smart people out there.
Sorry, I'm too smart for that. The serial involves a 512 bit cryptographic hashing algorithm. In our software we only check for about a quarter of those bits. We swap some of those bits with every update. So if a randomly generated serial (which might take years to compute) works for one version, it is not guaranteed to work with the next update. I know my stuff.

(again: questions -> u-he forum)
Last edited by Urs on Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12922 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:44 pm

ere2learn wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:32 pm
fluffy_little_something wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:29 am
Or the shimmer reverb.
Shimmer
https://clyp.it/twkaphgl?token=54c252e1 ... 5efb72bab0
Thanks for your audios :tu:
I think a shimmer reverb implies some sort of pitch change, so I am not sure your audio is the shimmer thingy as it is the same pitch all the time. But maybe I got the wrong idea :)

User avatar
Richard_Synapse
KVRian
897 posts since 20 Dec, 2010

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:06 pm

Yes, in fact the simpliest Shimmer reverb would be a reverb followed by a pitch shifter. But of course that's rather boring, a proper Shimmer reverb is constantly changing the pitch, which is what really gives that "Shimmer" sound. The amount of shimmer, as well as the amount of pitch change can be adjusted in the DUNE 3 shimmer reverbs (via the Shimmer and Regen knobs).

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

ZeePok
KVRian
1137 posts since 22 Aug, 2004 from Edge City, the Low Country

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:09 pm

..
Last edited by ZeePok on Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gentleclockdivider
KVRian
1432 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:37 pm

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:26 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:01 pm
fluffy_little_something wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:49 am
Anyone else find the Synapse terminology confusing?
Shouldn't it be 520 waves rather than oscillators per note? I mean, the whole synth seems to be a 3-oscillator synth, right? 8)
One layer has three oscilators of which 2 of them can be set to 32 osc's
So that 32 times 2 = 64 + 1 subosc = 65
This is for one layer , there are 8 layers
SO 65*8=520
No go crazy in the mod matrix and control/modulate each layer independently :tu:
That's my problem, what is an oscillator? What do you mean by "setting an oscillator to 32 oscillators"? Does Sylenth1 have 32 oscillators according to Dune terminology (2 oscillators x 8 waves x 2 layers)?

On a 4 voice polysynth , whenever you play a seventh chord , you are activating 4 voice boards , and 4 filter boards etc ..4 amp stages etcc
It's not really any different on a digital synth , + dune has the ability to play 32 duplicates of an osc ( one osc enabled ) while still playing a single voice , bit like the supersaw etcc .




See that little number box/density slider in the upper left of the oscilator ??
It makes up to 31 copies of that oscilator which can then be detuned accordingly , or spread out in minor/majors /fifths etc..

So when you'r playing a seventh chord on dune you're hearing 65(osc's per layer )*8(layers )*4(seventh chord ) = 2080 osc's
And if you using all voices =65*8*16=8320 osc's
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

mholloway
KVRian
1050 posts since 11 Jan, 2009 from Portland, OR, USA

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:41 pm

Hmm... on the fence about this one based on feature list.

For version 3 to be released in 2018 and

1. to have this sort of primitive preset browser feels really, really behind the times

and

2. to have this sort of slow, primitive modulation assignment feels, you guessed it, really behind the times.

I feel those areas should have been priorities, and should have come before a lot of the other "new" stuff Dune 3 is offering.

<shrug>

Just my opinion. I'll play with the demo more and see if I want to upgrade. It doesn't help that I'm absolutely exhausted / bored to tears by Wavetable synthesis and the recent obsession everyone seems to have with it (Ableton 10's Wavetable, U-He Hive adding Wavetables, Serum's endless hype, Dune 3 now...). I just don't find WT technology that inspiring, but to each their own I suppose!
www.dwifh.com - old-school industrial music by DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER

User avatar
Ghost Dog
KVRist
184 posts since 2 Jun, 2015 from Belgrade, Serbia

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:53 pm

I made an error last night comparing DUNE3 to DUNE2 in terms of sound because the sound of DUNE2 was only in memory and my memory pulled a fast one on me this time (to be very honest).

Today I had a chance to thoroughly A/B D3 with D2 and, even though D3 does sounds a tiny bit better in some aspects, the difference in sound quality is pretty much non-existent (even though we're talking about pretty subtle nuances here, I guess I kinda underestimated D2's sound in my memory).

Again, not trying to knock D3 or anything, but no real improvement on sound quality in this latest version.

Return to “Instruments”