DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teksonik wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:34 pm
Vortifex wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:58 pm Yeah, I sold Dune 2 because of the workflow. I just didn't enjoy programming it at all.
Funny, I find it one of the most enjoyable synths to program and I have done hundreds of patches for D2 and several already for D3.

Once you spend a little time with it Dune becomes incredibly intuitive to program and a joy to use.

:shrug:
At this point I don't feel like defending DUNE too much, but regarding workflow, I really have no qualms. Every single one of these top tier synths has its little idyosincrasies.

I like Spire a lot but I absolutely dislike the drop down menu for choosing the number of unison voices of an oscillator. Both Sylenth1 and DUNE have a much nicer option.

Regarding the presets, I couldn't care less. Actually, I could, if things got worse. The way they are now is find with me (but I can see why the preset browser might be important for many).

wagtunes wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:36 pm
Touch The Universe wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:56 pm
v1o wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:41 am
To be honest if you didn't like the workflow in D2 there is little point in expecting major changes. There are many paying customers who are fans of this workflow and would get riled up if things drastically changed too far. There's a reason why Dune 2 became a hit synth - people like the workflow.
Your kidding right? :dog: Of all the popular synths out there that sound really good, why is dune 2 the only one which has very few soundsets for it? I've heard people complain over a dozen times that d2 doesn't have enough presets. I think its fair to say, to a degree, its clunky workflow impedes some sound designers.
Hey, better for guys like me. My Dune 2 library is my 10th best selling one of all of them. I'm sure not having a ton of competition helps a lot. So let the clunky workflow impede designers. More sales for me.

(Wags, you're such a mercenary :lol: :lol: :lol: )
Wags. I wouldn't be worried about competition in dunes market hurting your sales. On the contrary, I'd want for more sound designers to give it attention. The more content they create to market their soundset, the more dune itself gets marketed in the process and the more new customers enter the market. A bigger market is always better. Even ridiculously over saturated markets like spire and sylenth still perform reasonably well. Having an attitude of abundance will serve you well, friend :D
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Teksonik wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:39 pm
Ghost Dog wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:29 pm
IMHO, only Spire and Sylenth1 are in a class of their own in terms of sound quality (and even they could be improved).

I would like to see DUNE get there.
IMHO opinion DUNE has always been in a class of its own going all the way back to version 1 which is why I bought it in the first place.

Dune has always had a high quality, high definition sound in my opinion so it's always "been there".

I love Sylenth1 as well. I've tried the Spire demo three times and just don't get the love but to each his own. But to put Spire and Sylenth in a higher class of sound quality than Dune is just wrong. :?
About this one, we can only respectfully disagree.

In my humble opinion, nothing holds a candle to the "snap" of Spire's envelopes. In this regard, the latest two DUNEs are better than most synths, but compared to Spire - not even close. The MSEG can't help it either.

The way the envelopes work is only one aspect of a particular syth, but it's a very important one. It influences ALl types of sounds the synth produces, not just the snappy plucks and such.

I've spent many months convincing myself they're close. Not even remotely!

Serum can't nail that "snap" either.

If you could connect Spire's envelopes with DUNE, it (DUNE) would really come to life.

AM Alpha filter is gorgeous, every preset under it sounds better

Ingonator wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:00 pm
recursive one wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:54 am - AM filters sound really very good, all of them. They are notably different to other Dune's filters. I'm somehow dissapointed that they are only LP though, I hoped for some new BP filters. Dune has now massive selection of LPs but only two BPs which both sound a bit weak IMO.
The new filters do sound really good indeed where my favorites are the Polaris and Saturn lowpass filters that i used for most of my own patches.

During the end of the beta i made a feature request for a BP version of at least one of the analog models. Seems to be on the to do list and will maybe be included in a future update.

FWIW multiple features in the wavetable editor were added due to my requests, also based on my experiences with Icarus and Serum.
Did they mention what filters were used as the basis for the new models?
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

From the manual

Touch The Universe wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:47 pm
To be honest if you didn't like the workflow in D2 there is little point in expecting major changes. There are many paying customers who are fans of this workflow and would get riled up if things drastically changed too far. There's a reason why Dune 2 became a hit synth - people like the workflow.
Your kidding right? :dog: Of all the popular synths out there that sound really good, why is dune 2 the only one which has very few soundsets for it? I've heard people complain over a dozen times that d2 doesn't have enough presets. I think its fair to say, to a degree, its clunky workflow impedes some sound designers.
Hey, better for guys like me. My Dune 2 library is my 10th best selling one of all of them. I'm sure not having a ton of competition helps a lot. So let the clunky workflow impede designers. More sales for me.

Wags. I wouldn't be worried about competition in dunes market hurting your sales. On the contrary, I'd want for more sound designers to give it attention. The more content they create to market their soundset, the more dune itself gets marketed in the process and the more new customers enter the market. A bigger market is always better. Even ridiculously over saturated markets like spire and sylenth still perform reasonably well. Having an attitude of abundance will serve you well, friend :D
I'm not sure I agree with that.

Know how many Softube Modular libraries there are out there?

Not many, that's for sure.

Well, it's my best selling library by leaps and bounds over all my others. Nothing else except Serum even comes close. And almost all my Serum sales were early on when there were almost no libraries.

So I can only go by my own experience regarding libraries I've made and corresponding sales. And the ones with the least competition always performed the best for me, almost without exception.

Have to agree, the self resonance in the new analog filters are beautiful and I love the way I can control how much of this signal passes through thanks to the balance knob between the filters. There is a lot of potential here for sound design!
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

wagtunes wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:03 pm
Touch The Universe wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:47 pm

I'm not sure I agree with that.

Know how many Softube Modular libraries there are out there?

Not many, that's for sure.

Well, it's my best selling library by leaps and bounds over all my others. Nothing else except Serum even comes close. And almost all my Serum sales were early on when there were almost no libraries.

So I can only go by my own experience regarding libraries I've made and corresponding sales. And the ones with the least competition always performed the best for me, almost without exception.
I'm not saying market timing isn't a factor. Fact is the situation with dune is different, there isn't only a few libraries out so it changes the dynamics of the game. if it's market increases two fold, or any degree, how could that not be welcome?

I digress about soundset marketing, feel free to reply but if it makes me want to reply, I'll send you a quick pm instead. This conversation is probably very boring to people wanting to learn about dune 3 instead :D

TTU Youtube

ere2learn wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:02 pm From the manual

Thank you!
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Ghost Dog wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:29 pm
Nothing sinister with this remark, but IMHO, only Spire and Sylenth1 are in a class of their own in terms of sound quality (and even they could be improved).
Fairly new to music production but, from all the demos I tried I wouldnt put any above Zebra2 as far as sound quality. The fact that it consumes such low cpu compared to other synths is quite amazing. I jumped on the UHe/Zebra2 fanboy wagon after I found out blade runner 2049, along with other big blockbuster soundtracks, were made pretty much all with Zebra2. It can use a prettier interface to show active modulations and other synths have it beat by quite a bit in the UI area. But strictly sound quality, Zebra is part of the God Tier soft synths.
Last edited by Butwug on Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zerocrossing wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:59 pm Did they mention what filters were used as the basis for the new models?
Alpha 24 = Juno alpha

Polaris 24 = Prophet 600

Saturn 24 = Jupiter 8

Pro 12/24 = Legend/Moog

Im trying to install the demo, but its not showing up in Bitwig 2.3.4 :(

Ghost Dog wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:06 pm
AnX wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:50 pm ....

ive got a massive list of stuff for several of his products that got no love, and i moaned like a bitch, got me nowhere.

Ok, now you say you, yourself, moaned like a bitch?! What gives?

Maybe you were just spewing random crap and that kind of behaviour may fit your terminology.

Otherwise, you were making proper suggestions, not "moaning". That's the only way I see it.
i make suggestions i think are valid, if Rich says no i moan, we have a few words and i give up (pointless flogging a dead horse)

then 2 years later he realises i was right and implements them :hihi:

he doesnt :x :lol:

Return to “Instruments”