DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

ZeePok wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:49 pm BTW did you know that, even in the Demo version of DUNE3 you still can export wavetables; .wt's and .wav's! Don't know if they can be used in other synths, but it's nice that it's possible. :)

I had a LOT of fun with the wavetable editor! :borg: Found it very educational to see the formula's of the existing waves and altering and/or combining them in all kind of weird waveshapes! :tu:

ONLY ... One pity: the font of the formula editor is microscopic! :(
Please, a larger font would be much nicer on the old eyes. (Editing formula's really makes you a 'squint' :eek: :hihi:)
I find it easier to type formulae in a text editor and then copy and paste them in to D3. You can then catalogue and order your formulae as you see fit.
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

rodanmusic wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:14 pm Can somebody tell me if the Dune3 synth overall has improved sound quality?

It's difficult to tell from the page, but it seems like they just added a new swarm mode to the oscillators and added new filter models.

On the page it says "improved oscillators", but it kinda seems like they just mean they just added the new swarm mode.

I mean i tried the demos presets but they're presets...something i'll never use and they're going to sound great to sell the product.

it's reality. they keep asking for more features to make more presets to sell. but, it is a slightly different sound because the new filter, which makes the biggest difference. it's almost like a limiter. the new oscillator probably refers to the oscillator editor, so you are generating oscillator wave tables instead of wave files now.

AnX wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:52 pm
djanthonyw wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:38 pm
AnX wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:33 pm
djanthonyw wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:15 pm
AnX wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:05 pm tone2? kings of the sneaky phone home? :lol:
At least you will still be able to use your fully-functioning, legitimately purchased & registered software from them regardless of it phoning home, without having to ask for more authorizations after you've upgraded to new systems a few times over.
I'll pass thanks, i dont trust ppl who hide things, even if they stopped (apparently) when they were caught out.

i dont update my system much, but even if i did, i cant see a problem. Even if Synapse were to quit, im sure they would do what others have done and release a final version that users could continue to use.
Could you give me some examples of companies that have utilized such methods of CP offering a final version when they close up shop? As far as I'm concerned, I buy software *as-is* without any exceptions of updates, or that anything shall change if the company goes under, including methods of CP.
off the top of my head, no, sorry, but i will look it up tomorrow as im sure there have been two quite recently (3years)

either way, im not worried about it, and its your right to choose whatever you like based on whatever.
Still this is not like the best alternative, basically what you're saying (with all respect) is "believe or wait for a promise from a company" about a final release that will fix a problem that is still present. I don't have anything against Synapse, it could be one of my 3 preferred companies if there is an alternative to this current issue. Thats why I asked if there is other way to manage this Copy-protection issue.

And of course we can ask for this at least.

Dasheesh wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:00 pm
rodanmusic wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:14 pm Can somebody tell me if the Dune3 synth overall has improved sound quality?

It's difficult to tell from the page, but it seems like they just added a new swarm mode to the oscillators and added new filter models.

On the page it says "improved oscillators", but it kinda seems like they just mean they just added the new swarm mode.

I mean i tried the demos presets but they're presets...something i'll never use and they're going to sound great to sell the product.

it's reality. they keep asking for more features to make more presets to sell. but, it is a slightly different sound because the new filter, which makes the biggest difference. it's almost like a limiter. the new oscillator probably refers to the oscillator editor, so you are generating oscillator wave tables instead of wave files now.
Thanks for the information Dasheesh. I'm going to try it one more time tonight, but for $80 (and owning dune 1 & 2), this looks like a skip for me.

Last edited by ZeePok on Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

rodanmusic wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:14 pm
Yes...never use the factory PRESETS. You will never succeed with it.
*facepalm*

ZeePok wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:11 pm

Someone mentioned D2 sounding a bit 'plastic-y' and I agree with that. Dune 3 somehow sounds more 'natural' to me. ♪♫♪
Do you think If I send you a piece of music one that uses purely D2 and one using D3 (same song, same patches) you can tell the difference?
rsp
sound sculptist

The old Dune 1 filters and the new Polaris filter are unusual in that the signal gets louder with increasing resonance. With almost all other filters there is a considerable volume drop. (I have only tried the LP filters.) I don't mind that drop at all, just saying because some people keep complaining about that on other synths...
Speaking of volume, that synth is crazy loud.

But I think it is unfortunate that the init patch has the osc 1 volume set to max. It seems a bad idea to do that. When I use two oscillators and set them to max in the mixer, there is sometimes noise when playing chords. When I set them both to 50%, though, and increase the master volume instead, the overall volume is the same, but the sound is clean.

I have to say that the missing value readout when using the mouse wheel alone would be a reason for me not to get it. I hate clicking and dragging.

Someone mentioned D2 sounding a bit 'plastic-y' and I agree with that. Dune 3 somehow sounds more 'natural' to me. ♪♫♪

Plastic? I think you have no idea about synthesizers, sorry! :)
I really have to laugh about some postings...

zvenx wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:02 pm
ZeePok wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:11 pm

Do you think If I send you a piece of music one that uses purely D2 and one using D3 (same song, same patches) you can tell the difference?
rsp
I didn't really A/B, but, Dune 3 sounds exactly the same to me as Dune 2. Of course, disregarding the obvious differences because of the new filters and stuff.

I didn't really A/B, but, Dune 3 sounds exactly the same to me as Dune 2. Of course, disregarding the obvious differences because of the new filters and stuff.
Dune 2 and Dune 3 can not sound the same. Dune 3 has gotten new filters, effects, EQs...for example. I programmed 250 factory sounds, I know what I'm talking about.
Last edited by INIT_KS on Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Last edited by ZeePok on Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

INIT_KS wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:17 pm

Dune 2 and Dune 3 can not sound the same. Dune 3 has gotten new filters, effects, EQs...for example. I programmed 250 factory sounds, I know what I'm talking about ;)
well you shouldnt test the new additions but test testpresets or same presets on both D2 and D3 with the same filters etc..... otherwise what a dumb test would it be? of course if i use a different EQ it sounds different. same goes when i master a song and use 3 different comps.... i know that you talk nonsense in this reagard.

if the oscs sound the same on both then the D2 engine and material wasnt changed. and vice versa it shouldnt be advertised like D2 parts in D3 are overhauled, if it was stated somewhere like that.

so get out plugin doctors now guys and compare instead of talking non-facts.
Last edited by Caine123 on Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

vurt wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:25 pm
Stefken wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:50 pm Batman's sidekick.
and who is batman?
(in the analogy, i know the dark knights secret identity)
Are you Dr. Hugo Strange?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Did a simple 8 bar look, using three factory presets from Dune 2... Played with both D2 and D3....
Can you tell which is which.
File 1: The first loop is 8 bars of one, then 8 bars of the other, and then 2 more 8 bar loops. (that is 32 bars in total)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6brvzpv7l3tt4 ... h.mp3?dl=0

File 2 is 8 bars of one

https://www.dropbox.com/s/915m5sxkbkhkj ... A.mp3?dl=0

File 3 is 8 bars of the other.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2dbt1rjrfq97p ... B.mp3?dl=0

Alas with drop box you either right click and open them in a new tab or download them to play.
But from File 1 which of the four 8 bars is D2 and which of the four 8 bars are D3.
In Files 2 and 3, A & B, which is D2 and which is D3

For me. I think I initially heard the difference, but when I let the 32 bars loop without looking at the DAW, I couldn't tell them apart.
See if D2 is really plasticky and D3 natural.
rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Instruments”