Mixbus with the Scheps Omni

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Scheps Omni Channel

I don’t mean to spam the forum with Omni threads, but I’ve been working on this and I wanted to share a breakthrough.

I’ve been thinking about effects on the mixbus. I see that for many people it’s a philosophy, starting a project by applying effects to the mixbus then mixing your tracks into it. Please share if this is what you do, and have you tried the Scheps Omni for it?

I realized that the Omni is thin on mixbus presets. I stumbled upon the CLA Mixdown and I thought that the Omni would be a perfect tool to reproduce the concept.

I give you my mixbus preset:

omin mixbus.jpg

Simple, as most good things are. I’ll share the thinking so you can reproduce it but also play with the idea for each individual mix.

1. Compressor goes first, so the EQ and saturation can be applied cleanly to the output. The compressor is in OPT to keep it clean. Aiming for 2-3db of gain reduction. I’m using 3:1 ratio (3ms, 100ms).
Optional: If your mix is heavy on the kick, use the internal sidechain to highpass the kick, so it doesn't pump the compressor at this stage.

2. EQ boost only on the Tone knob set to 3.5kz, 2db of gain. Scheps recommends the Tone knob for coloring a track because of the way it’s implemented.

3. Add a low boost by activating the Thump 2db gain. This plus the previous mid boost gives you a kind of subtle smiley-face thing without the shimmer.

4. Activate the pass filters (HP, LP) at 20 and 20k, at the minimum rate of 6db. This tames the unruly edges of the mix making it feel a bit cleaner.

5. Saturation adds thickness and color to the whole thing, and glues the mix together. I recommend about 15 points, but honestly I can easily go 20+ on an anemic mix. Try switching the saturation models to hear what best suits your mix.

That’s it. 2db touchups here and there and you have a powerful difference that is very easy to hear and sounds thick and refreshing on most mixes. Plays very well with anything else you put before it. Now I just have to get used to adding this at the start of my mixes. If you like it, send the cost of CLA Mixdown to my bitcoin account :party:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jochicago on Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

Shhhh - you hear that? That's the sound of 10,000 Mastering Engineers losing their jobs. If only they knew that 2db gain at 3.5khz was the secret - all this time - OMG.

It's more complicated than that. If you raise the treble fader all the way up, it goes as high as 4db.

Why not.....could even use 2 comps and get that Shady Hills thing going.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Return to “Effects”