|Product||Scheps Omni Channel|
$49 Intro (Reg. $149)
|Type / Tags|
Scheps Omni Channel is a plug-in designed with Grammy-winning mixer Andrew Scheps (Adele, Jay Z, Metallica). This flexible channel strip delivers Andrew's time-tested combinations of compression, EQ, saturation colors and more – all crafted to work together beautifully and cohesively.
Channel strips are the mixing world's most efficient tools, providing all your basic processing – EQ, compression, gating, and often more – in one modular, easy-to-manage unit.
Mixers choosing which channel strip to work with often face a dilemma, however: Channel strip plugins based on vintage mixing consoles can sound amazing, but tend to tie you down to a very specific and limited sonic color. Modular channel strip plugins let you mix and match diverse processors with flexibility, but the different processors might not work together cohesively and won't necessarily interact as a true channel strip.
Scheps Omni Channel gives you the best of both worlds. Through years of mixing diverse music genres, Andrew Scheps has perfected certain combinations of go-to processors – some based on classic hardware units, some being innovative modules developed from scratch – each with its own unique character. They are all now provided to you in one flexible yet fully cohesive channel strip plugin.
Scheps Omni Channel features five modules that you can use in any order you like:
- The Pre module provides three types of analog saturation, letting you add diverse colors of harmonic distortion as well as filters and thump (resonance) controls.
- The Compression module features 3 completely different compressors ranging from fast to slow and smooth, with a unified control set so you can quickly compare them. A Wet/Dry control allows you to parallel compress within the module.
- The EQ module is a 4-band equalizer; each band providing a distinct musical sound that holds up on its own or can be switched to fully parametric if surgical EQ is required.
- The DS2 module is so much more than a de-esser, with two full-range bands and four filter types allowing it to 'de-anything' – remove any offending frequencies, not just S's or T's.
- The Gate module gives you all the standard controls (threshold, attack and release) for gating/expansion, but also lets you adjust the maximum noise reduction to maintain a consistent noise floor.
- If that's not enough, Scheps Omni Channel features an insert slot that can be positioned anywhere in the chain, where you can insert an additional Waves plugin of your choice, including an extra instance of any of the Scheps Omni Channel modules.
For live sound, Scheps Omni Channel offers zero latency and full discrete control over each stereo channel. Select controls of the compressor, EQ and filters are mapped conveniently to the eMotion LV1 live mixing console, serving as the console's channel strip.
Finally, you get a set of 'Focus' presets, created for different sources, which highlight the most important controls you should be focusing on to achieve your current task.
No matter what musical genre you are working with, Scheps Omni Channel will help you stay focused while you mix, quickly audition sonic characters with just a few clicks, customize your signal flow easily in one interface, and be confident that the sounds you fashion 'sit' together beautifully and cohesively.
- Designed with Grammy-winning mixer Andrew Scheps (Adele, Jay Z, Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers).
- Flexible channel strip plugin based on Andrew's tried and tested processing combinations.
- Pre, compression, EQ and gating modules, each with diverse options for sonic flexibility.
- DS² module: so much more than a de-esser, with 2 full-range bands and 4 filter types.
- Insert slot: Load an extra Waves plugin anywhere in the channel strip.
- Drag and drop any module anywhere in the channel strip.
- Internal MS/Duo/Stereo routing per module.
- Stereo component provides full discrete control over each channel.
- Flexible shaping of internal or external sidechain input.
- Zero latency.
- 'Focus' presets designed by Andrew to focus you on what's important.
- Artist presets by Tony Visconti, Billy Bush, Ken 'Pooch' Van Druten & more.
Reviewed By jochicago
March 28, 2018
There is so much going on with this plugin that it is hard to do it justice.
This is the tool for every track. Great results and great design. You can dial in your own sound within seconds, or slap one of your favorite presets. The path to great mixes has never been shorter.
- If you value the importance of working quickly, this plugin can seriously cut down your regular mixing time.
- If you are new to mixing, then this is the must-have plugin to get before any other.
1. Great Design
This plugin is probably among the best things that Waves is going to do this decade. You can tell a lot of attention went into the details.
It is as feature rich as it is balanced, and the features are designed to give you a strong digital solution to every-day needs. For instance, the EQ bands are labeled High, Mid, Tone and Low. But the frequency selector goes from 20hz to 20k hz on every band. The Tone band is designed to add richness, but the plugin doesn't stop you from using it to subtract. You can also switch each band to parametric. You can split the stereo to EQ separately, or switch to mid/side. Every module is like that, full of features that expand the typical range of things and take advantage of being in the digital domain.
2. The Right Tools for Every Track
Many will say that this plugin doesn't add to their current arsenal. And while that is partially true (although you probably don't have a triple-algorithm compressor in your kit) the point of this plugin is to do everything right, in a single well-balanced package so things play nice with each other, and having enough character that every module adds a touch of color to the mix.
3. Speedy Workflow
This is probably the most important aspect. With these tools at hand, no other are needed. It doesn't matter if you have other tools. Unless you are specifically going for a certain sound, this plugin is all you need to start every track. It is a breeze to dial your settings in. It uses less CPU than loading independent plugins for the same job. It feels like something designed by someone meticulous and obsessed with mixing, and built by a company with a pedigree in making quality plugins.
4. Preset Galore
And not the least that it comes with seemingly a hundred presets from known engineers. These are not gimmicky presets. This plugin is very powerful, which means that the engineers can build presets that are very close to their own processes.