Waveform 8 scrolling behaviour

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Waveform 8's scrolling behaviour confuses me (It was also mentioned in the Molten Music Review on youtube).

Is there a logic to the scrolling behaviour I can zoom and unzoom to the view I want without me having to scroll and re-scroll inefficiently?

With the mouse anywhere, and with Ctrl pressed (not sure about the Mac equivalent), the vertical size of the tracks all change.

With the mouse over the input or plug-ins area, it scrolls up and down the tracks.

With the mouse in the track area, it zooms in and out. With the Shift key held, it scrolls through the track time-wise.

I've probably forgotten something...
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

If "Mouse wheel scrolls MIDI grid" is switched on, Mouse Wheel scrolls up and down a MIDI clip if the mouse of over it, Ctrl+Mouse Wheel and bizarrely Shift+Mouse Wheel zooms the MIDI data in the clip if the mouse if over it.

I've mentioned before that zooming/scrolling is very bad and confusing. There's no consistency. It would be much better if there were were fixed scroll/zoom qualifier keys and it wasn't mouse contextual. For example, Wheel alone only ever does horizontal zoom of the main display. Ctrl+Wheel only ever does vertical zoom of all tracks, Shift+Wheel only ever scrolls left/right in the main display, Alt + Wheel only ever scrolls all tracks vertically, Ctrl+Shift+Wheel only ever does vertical zoom of the current MIDI clip, Alt+Shift+Wheel only ever scrolls MIDI clip data up and down, BackSlash+Wheel only ever Zooms the track that the mouse is over, and so on.

Another thing that would be very useful would be to have a key to select whichever track the mouse is over. It's a right pain having to move the mouse over the left-hand side of the screen, click in the track header but not the input box and then move the mouse back to where you were working.

Probably the best thing to do would be to route the mouse inputs through the macro system so that the Mouse Wheel/buttons/position can be intercepted and custom actions created.
i9-10980HK. Windows 10 (21H2). Komplete Audio 6. Studio One 5.4.1.

fromwithin wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:31 pm
I've mentioned before that zooming/scrolling is very bad and confusing. (...)

For example, Wheel alone only ever does horizontal zoom of the main display. Ctrl+Wheel only ever does vertical zoom of all tracks, Shift+Wheel only ever scrolls left/right in the main display, Alt + Wheel only ever scrolls all tracks vertically, Ctrl+Shift+Wheel only ever does vertical zoom of the current MIDI clip, Alt+Shift+Wheel only ever scrolls MIDI clip data up and down, BackSlash+Wheel only ever Zooms the track that the mouse is over, and so on.
I wanted to intuitively use my mouse wheel to scroll up and down over the main display and the different tracks.

Did I understand that correctly, that it is not possible to set "mouse wheel = vertical scrolling" as standard?
Vertical scrolling with the mouse wheel is only possible if the cursor is over the output section at the right?
DAW : Waveform PRO 12.1.8, 64bit | PC : i5 - 4570, 3,2GHz, LGA1150, Quad-Core | RAM : 8 GB (2x4) Kingston 1333 Mhz | OS : Win 10, 64bit

SteffHell wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:18 pm
fromwithin wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:31 pm
I've mentioned before that zooming/scrolling is very bad and confusing. (...)

For example, Wheel alone only ever does horizontal zoom of the main display. Ctrl+Wheel only ever does vertical zoom of all tracks, Shift+Wheel only ever scrolls left/right in the main display, Alt + Wheel only ever scrolls all tracks vertically, Ctrl+Shift+Wheel only ever does vertical zoom of the current MIDI clip, Alt+Shift+Wheel only ever scrolls MIDI clip data up and down, BackSlash+Wheel only ever Zooms the track that the mouse is over, and so on.
I wanted to intuitively use my mouse wheel to scroll up and down over the main display and the different tracks.

Did I understand that correctly, that it is not possible to set "mouse wheel = vertical scrolling" as standard?
Vertical scrolling with the mouse wheel is only possible if the cursor is over the output section at the right?
No, that's not correct, the original quoted post is mistaken. You have options to choose how it behaves (although, this is in Waveform 9, i'm not sure about version 8, I don't have it installed)

If you turn on "Use wheel for scrolling, hold down shift to zoom", the mouse wheel scrolls the tracks vertically, when you're over the clip area, when you have that option selected. With options set up as shown in the pic ;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

The original quoted post is not mistaken, as the quoted part is a listing of what I think would be a better configuration, not a description of the current functionality. Also, "Enable version scrolling over clip area" only appeared in Waveform 9. It might have been clearer if I'd have put "For example, Wheel alone should only ever do horizontal zoom of the main display." etc., but I was only putting an example scenario for further consideration, not a demand.
i9-10980HK. Windows 10 (21H2). Komplete Audio 6. Studio One 5.4.1.

Ah, sorry, my bad. Think I skim read and got the wrong end of the stick. I didn't mean that to sound like I was picking fault, I was kind of doing two things at once, at the time, and neither very well
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

chico.co.uk wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:52 am
If you turn on "Use wheel for scrolling, hold down shift to zoom", the mouse wheel scrolls the tracks vertically, when you're over the clip area, when you have that option selected. With options set up as shown in the pic ;
Thanks, that does exactly what I was looking for.

With other zooming and scrolling behaviour I still have my problems, though, see e.g.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=516261&p=7249096#p7249096
DAW : Waveform PRO 12.1.8, 64bit | PC : i5 - 4570, 3,2GHz, LGA1150, Quad-Core | RAM : 8 GB (2x4) Kingston 1333 Mhz | OS : Win 10, 64bit

Return to “Tracktion”