Tracktion Linux FAQ

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can anyone confirm if the mimetype icons work correctly on any Linux install for Waveform songs.
I would expect the waveform logo to be shown for the [dot] .tracktion files.
I'm currently running Linux Mint-18 on 2 machines.
thanks guys.

mikoatkvr wrote:Can anyone confirm if the mimetype icons work correctly on any Linux install for Waveform songs.
I would expect the waveform logo to be shown for the [dot] .tracktion files.
I'm currently running Linux Mint-18 on 2 machines.
thanks guys.
Ok I was able to find a workaround to get the mime type icon to show for all Waveform edits/songs.
I scaled down the 1024px image ( which resides in /usr/share/pixmaps/Waveform9.png ) to 48px in gimp, then copied the image to /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/mimetypes/application-x-Waveform9-project.png and after doing an update install ( as I forget the exact command to update the mime cache ) now I have The Waveform logo for my songs :)

this might be one for the developers to look out for on Linux installs other than Ubuntu ....
Icon_now_showing_correctly.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hi there,

I'm evaluating Waveform on Arch Linux and I like the workflow a lot so far. But it feels very unstable compared to Bitwig and Renoise or even Tracktion 7 especially when using airwave-wrapped plugins.

On Waveform I'm having trouble specifically with TAL U-No-LX and ValhallaVintageVerb which make the DAW crash. And in general all airwave-VST popups appear behind the plugin windows.

Any ideas?

@spacepluk Have you tried using Carla to load your VST/i's ? , I use a few windows .dll's and Haven't had any crashes concerning those plugins. The only periodic problem I would have is sometimes when I load an edit some vst don't have any sound, but on a subsequent reload they are fine. In Carla the plugins popups always show up on top of the Waveform GUI.
Carla_in_action.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

VST3s on Linux Waveform 9?

For kicks, I had downloaded the vst3 sdk and compiled the sample plugins as vst3. When trying to load them into waveform or running the tracktion plugin checker program against them. I get a message something to the effect that 'Its looks like a plugin but wont' load'.

The sample plugins run against steinberg's plugin checker progam, and load fine in bitwig demo, and reaper demo.

when compiling some as vst2, they will load and check out ok on the tracktion software.

Is this an issue with Waveform or does it ties back into the JUCE libraries that waveform is built upon? Is this something being worked on since Steinberg has sun setted vst2 this month for new developers, etc?

thanks,
David Alexander

spacepluk wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:21 am Hi there,

I'm evaluating Waveform on Arch Linux and I like the workflow a lot so far. But it feels very unstable compared to Bitwig and Renoise or even Tracktion 7 especially when using airwave-wrapped plugins.

On Waveform I'm having trouble specifically with TAL U-No-LX and ValhallaVintageVerb which make the DAW crash. And in general all airwave-VST popups appear behind the plugin windows.

Any ideas?
Iirc I had to change a desktop setting in winecfg and possibly had to override a DLL, when I'm home later I'll check my settings and let you knoe

spacepluk wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:21 am I'm evaluating Waveform on Arch Linux and I like the workflow a lot so far. But it feels very unstable compared to Bitwig and Renoise or even Tracktion 7 especially when using airwave-wrapped plugins.
spacepluk, did you have any luck addressing stability?

Waveform repeatedly crashes for me within minutes of opening. Not just crashes, but freezes my system completely (had to do hard restarts, I'm not going to mess with it again unless I locate someone with similar issues and a fix). Ardour, Qtractor, Mixbus, Bitwig et al all work perfectly.

Oh well, at least I got a the bonus Melodyne license out of the deal and believe it or not that actually seems to be working in Carla ;)

hey muffler, sorry I completely missed your message. In the end I gave up and went back to Bitwig/Renoise :(

Just chiming in here to say that Waveform 9 on Ubuntu crashes like crazy. Usually takes four times attempting to open it before it will even get beyond the splash screen without crashing! Then once it's open, who knows what will crash it. Could be anything. Some significant amount of the time it does seem to be related to VST plugins bridged in Airwave. They really need to get their act together and put some effort into making Waveform Linux more stable.

# My IBM Model M keyboard has no Windows key, so in order to select multiple clips I've set Caps Lock to act as Windows with
XKBOPTIONS="caps:super"
in /etc/default/keyboard.
This works in T6, T7 and W9.3.2, but not the betas 9.3.4, 9.3.6, or 10.0.15.

# I see I've got a ~/Tracktion folder full of, I think, product registration data. Why this isn't in ~/.config/Tracktion, which is full of mostly empty folders, I'm not sure. (I'm giving ~/mok the hairy eyeball as well.)
Linux (Debian/Devuan). i5-4670S.

@ForrestH
The function of the operation key was chanced after 9.26, it now should enter window switching mode in unbutu.
The previous function is now mainly taken over by the left Alt key.

muffler wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:31 pm
spacepluk wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:21 am I'm evaluating Waveform on Arch Linux and I like the workflow a lot so far. But it feels very unstable compared to Bitwig and Renoise or even Tracktion 7 especially when using airwave-wrapped plugins.
spacepluk, did you have any luck addressing stability?

Waveform repeatedly crashes for me within minutes of opening. Not just crashes, but freezes my system completely (had to do hard restarts, I'm not going to mess with it again unless I locate someone with similar issues and a fix). Ardour, Qtractor, Mixbus, Bitwig et al all work perfectly.

Oh well, at least I got a the bonus Melodyne license out of the deal and believe it or not that actually seems to be working in Carla ;)
How did you get Melodyne to even install? AFAIK it won't install under WINE and has always bombed when I've tried it. I have had system lockups too. Tracktion blamed my hardware....except its done it on two completely different computers.
Last edited by nunrgguy on Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lava wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:14 pm Just chiming in here to say that Waveform 9 on Ubuntu crashes like crazy. Usually takes four times attempting to open it before it will even get beyond the splash screen without crashing! Then once it's open, who knows what will crash it. Could be anything. Some significant amount of the time it does seem to be related to VST plugins bridged in Airwave. They really need to get their act together and put some effort into making Waveform Linux more stable.
Agree. I do'nt use Airwave. It still crashes all the time. Whether VSTs are being used or not.

nunrgguy wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:48 pmHow did you get Melodyne to even install? AFAIK it won't install under WINE
Used to be a pain in the hole yes, but recent versions of Melodyne work in WINE. Got 4.2 (standalone, not the plugin) running just fine with WINE 3.0

nunrgguy wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:48 pm
How did you get Melodyne to even install?
It installed without issue, and I can use it through Carla-rack. Don't know about LinVST or Airwave, I've looked at both of those but have never been able to get them to work (I'm not super tech-savvy and the documentation for both is too obtuse for me to follow--my fault, not theirs. Carla is much easier).

Return to “Tracktion”