Hive 1.2 - free update - adds wavetables and more

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

equinoxide wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:03 am This looks to be the same build as posted in the sanity check so no need to download again correct?
That is correct!

tasmaniandevil wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:07 am
mevla wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:44 pm Might be a thick question, but where should it be actually installed ? Do you mean the same plugin folder ?
It's so simple and obvious that there should not be a need for such a note, but we got many problems when not mentioning it. That's why there is a note now, there just doesn't seem to be a simple way to explain it.

But let me try it.
If you install the update, the old files will be replaced by the new files.
All the data files, like the graphics, or the new preset database, are in separate folders, and not directly baked into the plugin file itself. That's what the Hive.data folder is used for on Windows.

For example, if you had one plugin format (e.g. VST2) installed before, but now decide to only update the VST3 version, then the VST2 plugin will still be the old version.
And this old version will not know what to do with the new files, like our new browser, and will crash when you try to load it, or simply show up with a black or white screen. There is no way to avoid this.

So you have to make sure to install the data files into the same Hive.data folder (on Windows, on Mac these files go into predefined locations, so not much can go wrong there) as the last version you had installed.

And you have to make sure to install the plugin files (VST2, VST3, AU, AAX) into the same plugin folder you had the previous versions installed to. This point especially seems to be something that quite a few users get wrong during an installation. Maybe because they do not know where they installed the last version, or they since rearranged their plugin folders, or ...

Example:
You had your Hive.data folder installed to C:\Users\username\Documents\u-he\Hive.data.
Then simply make sure to install the Hive data into this same location as before.
And you had previously installed the VST2 plugin into, for example, a folder called C:\VSTPlugins.
Then make sure to tick the VST2 option during installation and to choose the same C:\VSTPlugins folder.
If you maybe rearranged things in the meantime, and created a new plugin folder called C:\NewPlugins, and install the Hive VST2 in there, then you have to make sure that your host will look for the plugins only in there. If your host still also looks for plugins in C:\VSTPlugins, and it finds the old Hive VST2 in there, then it could be that it tries to load this old one instead of the new one in C:\NewPlugins. And you end up with a plugin with a white screen, or with a crash, because the wrong plugin will be loaded.

To sum up the obvious: Install Hive.data into the same location as the last version, and install the plugin files into the same plugin folders as before. That's all there is to it.
And if in doubt, simply remove the old plugin files and data folder, and do a fresh installation instead of an update installation.

Hope that clears it up a bit.
Would make a new thread from this and we make it a sticky? - Until the transition to the new preset browser is complete, maybe?

Also maybe pass to web team for a FAQ...?

david.beholder wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:56 pm
Urs wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:16 pm We'll send a newsletter tomorrow... and also make a news item for the front page.

I think in all those years I started maybe 10 threads in the Instruments forum... it feels like spamming to me when I do.
Thinking about amount of new Dune and new Arturia threads it wouldn't be spam at all. Especially that Forum/U-he in certain minds as nerdy as philosophy library and Hive is marketed as mass appeal synth.
So I think it's totally make sense to create topics about Hive 1.2 so customers not visiting this forum would see such important news.
I'll see what I come up wtih today. I was going to maybe make some files to demonstrate the advantages and shortcomings of the interpolation modes. Those would come in handy to point out what sets Hive apart from others maybe.

Btw. I wholeheartedly agree with what you, 2NDMOUSE and AdvancedFollower say. I probably also enjoy the cozyness of our little retreat here, maybe I'm subconsciously afraid of how wild things can go in Instruments :hihi:

mevla wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:45 am The X/Y parameters does not seem to be exposed to the DAW. There's a XY:Y4 parameter that Bitwig sees but that parameter does not move at all when the X/Y cursor is moved around.
Might be an issue with the Linux build...? If so, maybe crosspost in Alex' dungeon...?

2NDMOUSE wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:19 am Quick question.
Does the installer write anything to the registry ?
At 6am I can't follow the bottom part of your post, but I can quickly answer this:

The installer memorizes the location of your previous VST2 installation in the Registry, in order to set up the correct data folder path. It's a "benign" entry which does not impose conflicts, i.e. it is not necessary to run the software.

Big thanks for this update! Ive been holding off on testing but look forward to trying it out tonight. Hive is one of my more frequently used plugins.

Thank you very much for this update, i realy like the 4 X/Y mods. How do they react for example to the real cutoff and resonance ? is it like a a modwheel + - of the current custoff setting ?

What is planned for Hive 2 ?
Have thinked about layers ? I think they are the success of nexus, avenger, dune2, elektrax,rapid and Omnisphere.
When i first got my hands over d16 lush101 i was very impressed by the presets, sounding similar to nexus, but i was able to edit them or combine different layers, so I think it will bring hive a big step forward...
Last edited by sacer on Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrj1nx wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:43 am Hive is one of my more frequently used plugins.
You know, for all of the 1000's of posts about if A is better than B, this is always the only meaningful tests of a truly 'great' synth.

I own most of the popular VSTs, some of them 'big' and expensive (Omni, Falcon etc) but its amazing how often I click on Hive when I just want to 'get something down' whilst composing, and how many times that initial sketchpad sound 'remains' in the mix!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:38 am
mrj1nx wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:43 am Hive is one of my more frequently used plugins.
You know, for all of the 1000's of posts about if A is better than B, this is always the only meaningful tests of a truly 'great' synth
Indeed, however in reality each of us uses a synth in different ways and this is why it is nice with those ’1000’ posts or at least the 20 in there that actually discuss functionality on a less than superficial level. What is interesting is that Hive excels on the less is more principle because of speed of editing versus being ’feature-rich’ like Zebra/Bazille. The same thing I enjoy about ACE (once the head is wrapped around it). For me I need a nice balance between speed(efficient design) and speed(processor). I cling to my ’old’ laptop and 32-bit DAW because that has always works for me in making music I like. I am horrible about bouncing to audio and cling to my synths to the last minute where the machines are on their knees gasping for air...then I commit. U-he is sneaky. Things can absolutely get complex but they don’t need to be because of the sound quality and the well thought out interfacing during sound design. It is also why I don’t mind waiting for 3 +/- years from version to version.
Last edited by snigelx on Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Urs wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:46 pm
zvenx wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:17 pmUrs, btw I think you meant to say, this isn't for unselfish reasons.
oopsie :oops:
Put down the :x soldering iron,
and get some sleep already :dog:
:wink:

The wavetables are an extremely musical update!
Almost all the sounds could be used in songs, rather than
noise fests, and there are plenty of sequences with movements
that match their sound well. If anyone was on the fence
about whether or not to buy Hive,
it's time to get just on with it :party:
or die from the splinters :scared:

Very cool U-he. Can't wait wait to download this. Did you say you would be adding MSEG's or similar some when?

sacer wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:34 am Thank you very much for this update, i realy like the 4 X/Y mods. How do they react for example to the real cutoff and resonance ? is it like a a modwheel + - of the current custoff setting ?

What is planned for Hive 2 ?
Have thinked about layers ? I think they are the success of nexus, avenger, dune2, elektrax and rapid. When i first got my hands over d16 lush101 i was very impressed by the presets, sounding similar to nexus, but i was able to edit them or combine different layers, so I think it will bring hive a big step forward...
Layers would also be great!

Hehehe, my critical view on Layers is exactly why we have made Hive the way it is. Layers are a counterpoint to Hive's concept.

There won't be an MSEG per se. I have devised a pretty novel concept for complex modulations which fits Hive very well. But it is the thing I'm working on next, it's merely a bunch of notes and pictures in my head.

sacer wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:34 am Thank you very much for this update, i realy like the 4 X/Y mods. How do they react for example to the real cutoff and resonance ? is it like a a modwheel + - of the current custoff setting ?
yes, +/- the current setting

and they are automatable

Return to “u-he”