DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

chk071 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:06 pm The phaser is meh (i urge you to try the free Phazor plugin against it - much better in my opinion).
Yeah, agree on that. I love Phazor because it makes everything sound like a Virus :D

Regradless of that, I indeed never was a fan of the phaser in Dune. I know Synapse has some analog-modelled phaser REs, I thought they would put some of that that tech into Dune 3 (or did they? What is "Super" phaser?).

I think it would probably make sence to make a full changelog for Dune 3
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

chk071 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:00 pm Been playing around a bit more with the Dune 3 demo yesterday, and, i must say that it's really growing on me. Especially the new filters are superb ...
Same here. After the initial hype build up, I expected more in certain area's.
Aspecially the (tiny) arp is outdated. Ana2 shows how it's done. I can enlarge to the 'large' skin though. That helps and I can also route the ana2 midi to Dune3.

But I keep coming back to the demo because the sound is there ! and as a WT (capable) synth, the sound is warm which can't be said for many WT synths.

recursive one wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:13 pm
chk071 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:06 pm The phaser is meh (i urge you to try the free Phazor plugin against it - much better in my opinion).
Yeah, agree on that. I love Phazor because it makes everything sound like a Virus :D
:tu:

Teksonik wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:04 am
db3 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:00 am Pity GUI not upgraded to retina resolution though.
Are you sure ? There is a Huge Mode that is way too big for my screen at 1920x1080. I assume that was for retina or retina like resolution ? :o
Huge is only 1920 x 1296

Rivanni wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:16 pm
Teksonik wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:04 am
db3 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:00 am Pity GUI not upgraded to retina resolution though.
Are you sure ? There is a Huge Mode that is way too big for my screen at 1920x1080. I assume that was for retina or retina like resolution ? :o
Huge is only 1920 x 1296
And ? Last I checked 1296 > 1080

It cuts off the bottom of the GUI off making it "way too big for my screen". :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:46 pm
wagtunes wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:40 pm In all fairness, if I listen to whatever audio clips are out there of a synth and don't like what I hear, why would I waste my time downloading the demo?

Without mentioning any names (because I want to avoid all the inevitable "man you're crazy, that's a great synth" comment) I listened to the sound demos of this one synth that was up on the company site and couldn't believe they could release something that sounded so dull and lifeless. If the company itself can't put together a track that doesn't sound like pure crap, what possible reason could I have to waste my time thinking I can do better?

Conversely, if I hear a track on the company's site that absolutely blows me away, the only reason I'd even download the demo is to see if it works in my DAW. Otherwise, I'd probably buy it without having to try it myself.

The synth itself has to sound good for me to even bother with it. If it doesn't, I don't waste my time.

Point is, I can understand people wanting to at least hear what the synth sounds like first.
Your entitled to have your own opinion.
But relying your purchase purely on video/track example is utter bullocks
Assumming the synth sounds reasonably good from the start , any synth in the right hands will be able to attrackt the listener ..and convince him her of purchasing it .
You weren't aware that dune 2 had an @sample level updated modulation engine , how would you then base your buying decision based on a track if you hadn't explored the synth yourself .
That feature alone imho is a mayor selling point
If more people would actually know something about synthesis ( not saying you don't ) and explore the synth ,we wouldn't have these numerous ridiculous threads about which synth versus which synth , is sytnh X for dub .bro edm etc..
I think you’re both right. Right now, I’m pedal to the metal at work. 9-2 (with an hour each way commute) working on a video game, 3-8 taking care of my daughter, then 8-10 back on the game. I don’t really have a moment to boot up my studio computer... maybe over the weekend. (Don’t say “do it now!” I’m typing this while on an eIiptical) I am curious, though. I’d love a good Dune 3 demo, though I’m already sold on it. I’ve already said that I’d buy Dune 3 if it had filters that were in the neighborhood of Legend, and here it is, with even more filter options.

But, if I didn’t have Dune, and had never tried it, I’d totally want to hear at least one impressive demo of it before I gave it a proper tire kicking. There are so many synths getting released every day... are you really taking the time to install and go though every one that might be a gem? Maybe you have that time, but I sure don’t.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Demos also depends on what kind of music you like and what you want to do yourself. While i don´t like most synth demo tracks f.e. i find the Dune 2 cinematic demo from Kevin Schroeder maybe the best synth demo i ever heard which is actually really cinematic sounding.
Like Dan Worrall on tutorials i guess Kevin could sell me most synths to me with his style. But i still found his Dune 2/3 sounds the best.
Brings me straight to Dune 3 is my Nr.2 goto already for pure synthesis after a few days with it.
Once you accept the limitations and just using it makes me happy now when i play with it.

Shandar wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:33 am
fluffy_little_something wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:54 pm
Dasheesh wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:27 pm @ shandar - bitwig and ableton both have this problem regularly for various vst's for what ever reason, i don't know why, but it's not uncommon.
Noticed something else in my VST folder: almost all other plugins use underscores, but Dune 3 has a space in its dll name. Maybe that's the problem. Can you rename the dll by replacing the space with an underscore?
That was it, thanks! After removing the space it works. That's odd though, because Dune 2 is named with the same scheme "DUNE 2.dll" and it works.
I don't know how it works. Maybe when updating the VST list, the DAW compares the names and stops comparing at the space. So it might have seen your Dune 2 and when it found Dune 3, it though to itself, Dune, well, I already have that, no need for duplicates :hihi:

U-he released hive 1.2 with wavetable scanning, 500 new presets etc. Free for existing users. Oh wrong topic.
Guess they should have released it as v2 ;)
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Have you actually read about the new features in Dune 3? It's a lot more than in Hive. Unless i missed something, and Hive got several new filter types, a wavetable editor, a completely new GUI, new effects, or a dual filter mode. Nice try though. ;)

Urs planned a lot more for Hive version 2 though, which WILL be a upgrade. Maybe then you can compare.

Hive is really great but i like Dune 3 much more.

Caine123 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:03 pm U-he released hive 1.2 with wavetable scanning, 500 new presets etc. Free for existing users. Oh wrong topic.
Guess they should have released it as v2 ;)
looks like someone hasnt had their breastfeed today...

The virtual keyboard is velocity-sensitive, just like Sylenth1's. The higher up on the key you click, the lower the velocity.
But there is no right-clicking for holding a key, nor can one slide up and down the keyboard with the mouse button pressed, unlike on Sylenth1.

Not important, I know, just saying :) I wonder if anyone even uses virtual keyboards anymore. But in this case it doesn't matter as the space is required for the effects, LFOs and MSEGs, anyway...

Have to say I really don't understand all the wanking over this stuff. What Hive or any or synth/manufacturer has done is irrelevant. Synapse can call it what they want and charge what they want for any upgrade. The fact is for Dune 2 we all got some nice updates for free. They have now decided that the version number is being bumped and if you're a previous owner the upgrade cost is $79. If you don't think the new features plus the new sounds is worth $79 then simply don't buy it and continue to use Dune 2.

fluffy_little_something wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:44 pm The virtual keyboard is velocity-sensitive, just like Sylenth1's. The higher up on the key you click, the lower the velocity.
But there is no right-clicking for holding a key, nor can one slide up and down the keyboard with the mouse button pressed, unlike on Sylenth1.

Not important, I know, just saying :) I wonder if anyone even uses virtual keyboards anymore. But in this case it doesn't matter as the space is required for the effects, LFOs and MSEGs, anyway...
On multi-touch screens they make sense of course but for mouse clicking...not really.
If we could do drop and drag modulation per key.... :D

Return to “Instruments”