Bitwig 2.5 beta is out!

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

antic604 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:36 pm Anyone noticed this new option?
Currently it doesn't seem to do anything, but hopefully it will allow for high-DPI aware plugins (like U-He's, Arturia's, Spire) to not automatially get stretched but instead to use higher-res assets.
For example, this is how Zebra2 looks in Bitwig 2.4 vs. Live 10
^ Oh man, it must sound duller than in Live. :D
-JH

JHernandez wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:43 pm ^ Oh man, it must sound duller than in Live. :D
Oh, I know you're being sarcastic, but:
a) once you notice the difference, it's quite bothering
b) plugins remember settings somehow, so if I disable Zebra2 stretching in Live or S1 and use 200% assets, when I open it in Bitwig it'll blow out of screen (literally will be 4x as big) and I need to go back to Live, enable stretching and 100% sized assets; it's inconvenient as well
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Enrize wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:22 pm ...but if i haven't, i would upgrade instantly for this update.
Just did this right now :tu:

antic604 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:52 pm
JHernandez wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:43 pm ^ Oh man, it must sound duller than in Live. :D
b) plugins remember settings somehow, so if I disable Zebra2 stretching in Live or S1 and use 200% assets, when I open it in Bitwig it'll blow out of screen (literally will be 4x as big) and I need to go back to Live, enable stretching and 100% sized assets; it's inconvenient as well
I was being sarcastic, but you definitely have a good reason to care. That actually does suck.
-JH

Another problem with 2.5 is with launching scenes.

I have a project with 3 scenes and I save the project after playing scene 3. When I load the project again and launch scene 1, it starts at scene 3. This only happens the first time I launch after loading.

Hypo Intellect wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:09 am Another problem with 2.5 is with launching scenes.

I have a project with 3 scenes and I save the project after playing scene 3. When I load the project again and launch scene 1, it starts at scene 3. This only happens the first time I launch after loading.
send in a bug report to Bitwig

beta@bitwig.com

Why is it this version needs to rescan from scratch all plugins and all plugin presets? - it's been scanning them for hours now. So much for faster startup times.

aMUSEd wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:22 amWhy is it this version needs to rescan from scratch all plugins and all plugin presets? - it's been scanning them for hours now. So much for faster startup times.
It does this once. It's probably related to new options for prioritisation of which versions are visible (VST3 vs. VST2, 64-bit vs. 32-bit) and plugin high-DPI awareness support.
Music tech enthusiast

bolba wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:26 pm And I'm really disappointing there is ZERO features for MIDI editing/piano roll. Seriously, some of the features requests on Bitwig's site is 3-4 years already.
Just shows priorities of devs.
I agree. I prefer improvement in the piano roll over things like parseq, note counter. They do seem to focus on new modular features more than these basic functions. Bitwig to me is the Ableton alternative I was waiting for -> focus on studio production more than live playing. And they are really making good steps in the arrangement editor which to me is really good right now. But please give the piano editor some love (as part of a second priority ;-)

1 stability/ bug fixing
2 solid basic functions (like pdc, sync, arrangement, piano roll, midi handling, time stretch - a lot of these are already on a good level-)
3 new innovative tools

I know they will get there and all in all must compliment them for the speed of development except for that piano roll. I even grown into respecting their subscription model. Hope they will end up higher in the best daw list next year. I voted for bitwig..

antic604 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:53 am
aMUSEd wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:22 amWhy is it this version needs to rescan from scratch all plugins and all plugin presets? - it's been scanning them for hours now. So much for faster startup times.
It does this once. It's probably related to new options for prioritisation of which versions are visible (VST3 vs. VST2, 64-bit vs. 32-bit) and plugin high-DPI awareness support.
Just being able to show 64bit VST3 in the browser is one of my top new features :tu: Sometimes its the little things....I haven't messed with the 'high-DPI awareness' yet, what exactly is it aware of?!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:05 amJust being able to show 64bit VST3 in the browser is one of my top new features :tu: Sometimes its the little things....I haven't messed with the 'high-DPI awareness' yet, what exactly is it aware of?!
See my posts on previous page. So far it seems to not be doing anything* and it also wasn't mentioned in the release notes, so maybe it's something they're working on for future version but forgot to hide in 2.5 :)

* other than making Waves' Flow Motion much smaller, which is weird because it's not high-DPI aware AFAIK
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:53 am
Unfortunately, it also does this every time you switch between 2.4 and the 2.5 beta. Regardless of the separate install directories for binaries, it’s clear that the index file(s) are shared between all installed versions of Bitwig.

And most unfortunately, this makes beta testing 2.5 diffficult when you also have a lot of production work on your plate that you don’t want to risk exposing to bugs in the beta.

Yokai wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:22 pmUnfortunately, it also does this every time you switch between 2.4 and the 2.5 beta. Regardless of the separate install directories for binaries, it’s clear that the index file(s) are shared between all installed versions of Bitwig.
Hmm, that wasn't my experience. Maybe you've quit 2.5 while it was still scanning and it picked up and continued when you opened 2.5 again, after working in 2.4?
Music tech enthusiast

JHernandez wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:03 pm "Just shows priorities of devs"

You mean fixing things that are broken before giving us new stuff to play with? This is bad because: "Bitwig on Windows was fast already"?

Interesting reasoning there.
No, I meant Bitwig team is wasting time on fixing things that were broken by Apple.
As non-Mac users I can express some frustration here.
Not sure if a lot of users were happy with 2.5 if it made Linux performance 1000% faster.
But I can understand why Mac users are happy.

As for the Audio-slip I commented on that earlier. We had it already via Inspector.
At least Time stretching tool for both Audio and MIDI will be much better.

^macOS is going to keep changing. Bitwig needs to adapt if they want to supply Mac user with the platform imo, that goes for any other OS. Personally, it didn't do anything for me that I've noticed, I'm happy for other Mac users. Bitwig already started up in 10 sec before 2.5 on my system. I haven't had the issues other Mac users have. Maybe it's my old 12 core machine IDK, I'm no expert on these matters. Anyways, you can feel how you want about it. It's all good.

As for the scanning being discussed in this thread: 2.5 only scanned once on my system. Other than that I get the typical quick scan when moving between 2.5 and the 2.4.3.
Last edited by JHernandez on Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-JH

Return to “Bitwig”