Twangström Linux

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Updated for Linux as well (see linked post above) :)

Great sounds. Bringing up the UI crashes the audio (jackd) big time very steadily, just as described before with the 11 steps.

mevla wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:39 pm Great sounds. Bringing up the UI crashes the audio (jackd) big time very steadily, just as described before with the 11 steps.
By the way did you enable plugin sandboxing?

mevla wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:39 pm Great sounds. Bringing up the UI crashes the audio (jackd) big time very steadily, just as described before with the 11 steps.
I have almost no experience with Linux, but the crash you describe (plugin running, but crashing when you try to open the GUI) is something which most times happens when there are read or write permission issues with the preset database file, or when the plugin cannot find those files.

The preset database is located in its own folder inside the Twangstrom folder (Twangstrom/PresetDatabase/).

Sorry if this doesn't help much, but maybe it gives you a clue to solving the issue.

abique wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:55 pm By the way did you enable plugin sandboxing?
The default is set as bit bridge. After reading your reply I tried excluding Twangström from it and this what is shown below. The behaviour is basically the same, a crash when the UI is summoned, but with a slight variation: this time around Bitwig Stu does not report that the audio has crashed, it only reports that the plugin has crashed. Which is an improvement of sorts since jackd does not need to be restarted.

Of course, every other plugin seen in that list, like the Uhbik, are running just fine, as all other u-he plugins are. Well, as all other plugins are, from IK Mutlimedia and Rob Papen (via linvst) to Biotek2 and Waverazor (native Linux).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tasmaniandevil wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:33 pm I have almost no experience with Linux, but the crash you describe (plugin running, but crashing when you try to open the GUI) is something which most times happens when there are read or write permission issues with the preset database file, or when the plugin cannot find those files. The preset database is located in its own folder inside the Twangstrom folder (Twangstrom/PresetDatabase/).
The permissions are the original ones set in the distribution archive. The files are copied as user, not as root ('administrator' in Windows I believe).

This said, the ../PresetDatabase/ folder is totally empty. OTOH, the ../Presets/ folder has:

Code: Select all

-rw-r--r-- 1 mevla mevla 1321 Dec 13 10:15 Basement Drum Room.h2p
-rw-r--r-- 1 mevla mevla 1170 Dec 13 10:15 _Default_Type4.h2p
-rw-r--r-- 1 mevla mevla 1170 Dec 13 10:15 _Default_Type8.h2p
-rw-r--r-- 1 mevla mevla 1170 Dec 13 10:15 _Default_Type9.h2p
-rw-r--r-- 1 mevla mevla 1352 Dec 13 10:15 Guitar Room.h2p
-rw-r--r-- 1 mevla mevla 1168 Dec 13 10:15 Gummy Verb.h2p
-rw-r--r-- 1 mevla mevla 1175 Dec 13 10:15 Liquid Machine Room 2.h2p
-rw-r--r-- 1 mevla mevla 1169 Dec 13 10:15 Liquid Machine Room.h2p
-rw-r--r-- 1 mevla mevla 1338 Dec 13 10:15 Lumberjack Bird.h2p
drwxr-xr-x 2 mevla mevla 4096 Dec 13 10:15 MIDI Programs/
-rw-r--r-- 1 mevla mevla 1238 Dec 13 10:15 Touch of Twang.h2p
-rw-r--r-- 1 mevla mevla 1389 Dec 13 10:15 ZischBoing.h2p

Urs wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:10 pm Updated for Linux as well (see linked post above) :)
Nice! The BP adds a lot for me.

Btw, my experience so far--upon Fedora 28--has been stable; no crashes yet.

mevla wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:47 pm
1) Create new directory seen by the DAW
/B3/Plugins/Test/Twangstrom

2) Unarchive the distribution file in a temp directory and move the contents of:

~/Downloads/temp/Twangstrom-8088/Twangstrom/

Into that new directory.

3) In Bitwig, load the ACE synth on an instrument track, then double-click on the new Twangstrom to add it to that track. Bitwig automatically shows the UI of a new plugin.

4) Crash !
You don't mention having run the plugin's installer :?
You don't mention using the default paths U-he uses... :ud:
Perhaps you attended a good :party: earlier? :wink:
Cheers

glokraw wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:03 amYou don't mention having run the plugin's installer :?
I described precisely the installation procedure. And twice at that.
glokraw wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:03 amYou don't mention using the default paths U-he uses... :ud:
I have mentioned that every other u-he plugin runs fine. As well as plugins from IK Multimedia (via linvst) and Biotek2 and Waverzor (Linux native)

These are the folders of the plugins that runs very fine on this system. All are in /B3/Plugins/ and /B3/Plugins/Windows/. The ~/.u-he folder is a symlink to /B3/Plugins/u-he. I do not backup the home directory. /home/mevla/ is a transitional folder. Anything that's worth something is stored elsewhere and available for all Linux OSes that can boot on that machine.
glokraw wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:03 amPerhaps you attended a good :party: earlier? :wink:
Before saying that maybe you can check yourself.

Where are your musical creations ? The plugins I use work. I do not like to do software stuff regarding music: it has to work, period. This is to create music. I do enough software stuff in other domains.
Last edited by mevla on Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

You have to use the installer. There is a --quiet option that you can check, also the installer being a shell script you can read it and see what it does.

The u-he plugins does not support to be put in random places on Linux. Twangstrom will always assume that it is installed in ~/.u-he/Twangstrom/.

Then I would also advice that you sandbox each plugins in Bitwig. It will cost a tiny little bit more CPU (not much really) but it will isolate plugins mal-functioning from the engine and other plugins.

mevla wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:54 pm This said, the ../PresetDatabase/ folder is totally empty.
Yep, there is the problem. The database will be created when you start the plugin and open the GUI. When it can't create it, because of an installation issue or permission problems, we might run into a crash.

As Alexandre suggests, try using the installer script, performing a standard installation, so all the files will be put in the correct locations.

Thanks for the reply.
abique wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:07 am You have to use the installer. There is a --quiet option that you can check, also the installer being a shell script you can read it and see what it does.
I took a quick look, although I did not find where the 3 Twangstrom_Presets.presetsdb* files were copied tot eh ../PresetDatabase/ directory.

So yes, the script somehow added:

Code: Select all

-rw-r--r-- 1 mevla mevla   4096 Dec 12 22:11 Twangstrom_Presets.presetsdb
-rw-r--r-- 1 mevla mevla  32768 Dec 13 17:38 Twangstrom_Presets.presetsdb-shm
-rw-r--r-- 1 mevla mevla 263712 Dec 13 17:38 Twangstrom_Presets.presetsdb-wal
But it added these files only at the first run. Removing the Twangström directory and running the script a 2nd time did not produce these files again. There must be a (environment) variable set that is checked or something.

The shm and wal files are sqlite and there is a sqlite although I did not see where sqlite got executed to probably run with ../Data/Twangstrom_Presets.tagsdb
abique wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:07 amThe u-he plugins does not support to be put in random places on Linux. Twangstrom will always assume that it is installed in ~/.u-he/Twangstrom/.
OK. So there are hard coded paths within. And even though there are install options (--vst for instance) to specify the VST paths, what will be created are symlinks to ~/.u-he.
abique wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:07 amThen I would also advice that you sandbox each plugins in Bitwig. It will cost a tiny little bit more CPU (not much really) but it will isolate plugins mal-functioning from the engine and other plugins.
Well, the last behaviour I have described (along with the screen shot of Twangström being excluded from the bit bridging) shows that Twangström can crash all it wants and Bitwig will keep on running, asking to reload the crashed plugin. Which is way better than having it crash the audio.

These sqlite files are rather new with u-he plugins (only in Repro and the new versions of Zebra2 and Hive), very likely linked to the new browser features.

So I see that somehow (quickly looking at the script) the script has produced three data files in ../PresetDatabase/ and then I deleted the Twangstrom/ directory to run the script again and it will not produce these files a 2nd time :?

Since the script will not - for some reason - generate these 3 database files again, can you tell me how to generate them manually ?

Thanks again.
Last edited by mevla on Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

In wine/windows reaper, before starting twangstrom,
the PresetDatabase has a single file,
Twangstrom_Presets.presetsdb

After launching twangstrom in reaper,
3 more of those files files are there,
appended with
.lock
-shm
-wal

I do side-by-side comparisons of linux and windows
install contents if somethings seems strange,
and not expecting identical findings from two very different
operating systems.
Cheers
Last edited by glokraw on Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

glokraw wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:24 pm I do side-by-side comparisons of linux and windows install contents if somethings seems strange, and not expecting identical findings from two very different operating systems.
It does not matter which OS. sqlite works on both. The way the u-he plugins with the new browser works with sqlite in WAL mode is most certainly not coded differently based on which OS and is very probably left untouched by Alex when the code is ported to Linux. If the paths and such little things are coded in an OS-independent way, that is.

The funny thing with this is that I installed Hive 1.2 as I described, by copying the files, and not by running the install script and it worked. It worked when files were copied to it's own new ../Hive1.2/ directory and it also worked when subsequently copied over the previous Hive version

Cheers.

All these new U-he things are making me :hyper: !!!
Deep breath...deeeeeppp breath...ahhhhhhh...
I removed the old linux Twangstrom, did a clear-cache
re-scan from Reaper VST preferences, and then did a fresh install
of latest linux Twangstrom, with a filemanager window open.
After the install, the as yet unused plugin's PresetDatabase folder
was empty. Loading the plugin in Reaper presents the

Twangstrom_Presets.presetdb, and the .lock, -shm and .wal versions.

After closing Reaper, only the Twangstrom_Presets.presetdb remains
in the filemanager view. Reloading the plugin reloads the three
.lock, -shm, and -wal versions removed when Reaper was shut down.

I suppose that process chronicles any changes made at the previous session.
Makes sense to my :dog: codeless cranium :dog:
Woke up just in time for the weekend, time to pluk and strum, now.
Cheers

Return to “u-he Linux support”