Chord Track: Differences between Waveform and Studio One 4?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

the waveform pattern generators that are introduce in waveform 8 are really nice. but it is unfinished, because it can not change later to change chord and stay with the same pattern. i hope if can read that more like the pattern generators, that they enhance it in w 10. I see what happen. what i think should enhance i have add in feature request somete time ago.

some time ago i have buy mixcraft pro on sale with melodyne for 99$. It have too a chord track feature and have a performance feature which allow in realtime and automatic on beat or bar trigger patterns, simular as ableton live. this is very good for composing. MC use btw the only DAW that have video cut and overblend features, and text features, so its possible to make videos too. to change chords MC have note markers that can add in the sequencer or move or edit later. work with audio and midi and a good formant correct pitch shift it have too. here can see how can change transpose markers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRxrg9maR8g
and here how performance mode work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-0grIYiIOE

and if waveform can get such a performance mode is great too. the browser of mixcraft can search, display and download when need all sounds from freesound.org. you not install a library of sounds. when you want preview a sound that it is not on your cache, it download the sound and it can play it sync to playing song very good. this is also good feature to have in waveform.
win 10 64 22H2 intel i5 8600K (6*3.6 GHZ) 32 GB Ram

magicmusic wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:35 pm the waveform pattern generators that are introduce in waveform 8 are really nice. but it is unfinished, because it can not change later to change chord and stay with the same pattern. i hope if can read that more like the pattern generators, that they enhance it in w 10. I see what happen. what i think should enhance i have add in feature request somete time ago.
You are both 1 year and 1 version behind. Waveform 9 includes a chord track to specifically allow pattern generators to follow chord changes.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:59 pm
magicmusic wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:35 pm the waveform pattern generators that are introduce in waveform 8 are really nice. but it is unfinished, because it can not change later to change chord and stay with the same pattern. i hope if can read that more like the pattern generators, that they enhance it in w 10. I see what happen. what i think should enhance i have add in feature request somete time ago.
You are both 1 year and 1 version behind. Waveform 9 includes a chord track to specifically allow pattern generators to follow chord changes.
i test waveform 9 in march if i remember correct. but i test now with newest demo 9.3.2. . And every time i change the chord in chord track the melody notes from melody pattern(which i draw with the paint tool) are all erase. i have enable in melody pattern setting follow chord track and auto update. when i disable auto update then notes keep but it follow not the chord track. auto update need enable. default is off.

when i use a bass pattern that follow chord track and auto update is enable it enable all notes. when i remove notes from bass pattern with paint tool the notes that i remove appear after changes in chord track agein. so it is not usefull

i hope you understand what i mean. if not let me know, i do a video that show this.

here is video you can see that it not work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkB6FQS ... e=youtu.be

i think biggest problem with waveforms is there are features that do not work and waveform developer betatester, users should notice soon when they use this feature to create a testsong and change chords.

now when later a user see the problem he think, it happen only on my PC because such a problem everybody that use chord tracks and patterns should notice soon. so he report this not.

same happen to me too. i verify and read my posts from march and april, i report this not and i do no video about that because i think other should easy notice this too, so i can save time to write a report. but because the Bug is still in, i now do a video too,

You notice a bug, but don't report it, because you think someone else will report it for you, and the bug doesn't get fixed? I can see how that would happen. What with them working to fix the bugs that were reported.
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

with this chord track feature, i think the developer know that the feature is unfinshed and add it later. the chord track of W9 can not compare with studio one chordtrack, because W9 only support chord track follow when pattern generator is used(with the loss of notes when change the chords). When you have normal record midi or audio clip, follow chord track did not work. this is not a bug, that is important missing feature. Is there a date when public W10 beta or W10 final come ?. maybe in W10 it is finish and working. currently i have not buy it, but i help as i can to report bugs and problems

This review was published early this year, and had already listed a criticism with chord changes in the melody generator.
If you make a melody, then want to change a chord you lose everything. Yes, really. One chord change and your entire melody is gone.
Waveform 9: the good, the bad, the weird. Part 4: Pattern Generator - Edit Clips - Folder editing :( - Chord Track
https://www.admiralbumblebee.com/music/ ... art-4.html

I think that the melody generator is a novel idea, but if you are really using it to write your melodies, then you need some music theory training (and maybe a bit of talent)! I can't imagine the possibility of that thing writing a hit song any more than a cat banging on a piano keyboard. :D

zzz00m wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:14 pm This review was published early this year, and had already listed a criticism with chord changes in the melody generator.
If you make a melody, then want to change a chord you lose everything. Yes, really. One chord change and your entire melody is gone.
Waveform 9: the good, the bad, the weird. Part 4: Pattern Generator - Edit Clips - Folder editing :( - Chord Track
https://www.admiralbumblebee.com/music/ ... art-4.html

I think that the melody generator is a novel idea, but if you are really using it to write your melodies, then you need some music theory training (and maybe a bit of talent)! I can't imagine the possibility of that thing writing a hit song any more than a cat banging on a piano keyboard. :D
I think in W9 the most work is done with the faceplate stuff. useless for me, but the good news is, its there and in W10 they have time to do hopefully more usefull and also enhance the pattern generators.

A song can also write with a very old software. but can rearrange chords, then can try out the perfect progression, easy and hopefully help the chart songs are not so boring. when use a very old free or opensource DAW and captain plugins. cost 79$ and this have much better working pattern generator chord track, at least as can see in video. PC version miss melody creator. no demo, but they offer moneyback 30 days

"Ever wonder why all those pop songs sound kinda the same? Well, it's pretty simple; They all use the same 4 Chords!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOlDewpCfZQ

I like the chord track in Waveform but it's nothing like the Chord Tracks in both S1 and Cubase. Their Chord Track is at another level, with going as far as manipulating even audio, detecting chords from audio, quantizing notes to either scale or chord. What I do not like about the Chord Track in Waveform, is the way that it handles the melody patterns, it's not really creating anything, it's basically laying out ghost notes of the chords so we can trace over them. That is just a hack.
A better solution would be to allow auto quantization of what ever melody we enter to the nearest notes of the chord track or a set scale. Similar to how Melodicflow Vst does it. True Note Quantization. and also allow melody midi file import.

MEC wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:46 am I like the chord track in Waveform but it's nothing like the Chord Tracks in both S1 and Cubase. Their Chord Track is at another level, with going as far as manipulating even audio, detecting chords from audio, quantizing notes to either scale or chord. What I do not like about the Chord Track in Waveform, is the way that it handles the melody patterns, it's not really creating anything, it's basically laying out ghost notes of the chords so we can trace over them. That is just a hack.
A better solution would be to allow auto quantization of what ever melody we enter to the nearest notes of the chord track or a set scale. Similar to how Melodicflow Vst does it. True Note Quantization. and also allow melody midi file import.
Why would that be better? Sometimes you want to enter non-scale, non-chord notes.
I think the current implementation is perfect, where you see from the colour of the notes you enter wether they are chord notes, scale notes, non-scale chord notes or neither scale nor chord notes.

It's not really better but it is an option. Having auto scale or chord quantizing available allows us to play those melodies and have them auto quantized on the fly and not have to rely on just clicking your melody into the pianoroll.

MelodicFlow does what I propose very well. But it is a pain to route to several tracks. So it's not the most ideal solution as a plugin.

https://youtu.be/8MXPT-cfJO8

That's the nice thing about having a feature integrated into the DAW. It can work at the song level with multiple tracks.

A plugin typically affects just one track at a time.

Being able to easily reharmonize all tracks would be the ultimate goal for such a tool.

I hadn't seen harmonic flow before. It's pretty cool. Shouldn't be too hard to add some smart features to the MIDI input. Won't happen for Waveform 10, but maybe in the future.

Figbug, that would be great if it did make it's way into Waveform. There is another tool that does this reharmonization on the fly, it is called Auto Theory, but it's like zzz00m says that this works best integrated into the DAW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi2yOu8qv0o

Return to “Tracktion”