StiX : MultiSynthesis Drum Machine (v1.6 Released + Flash sales)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
StiX

Unqlenol wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:56 pm I appreciate the honesty and commitment. Stix has been a total game changer for me. Choke certainly most welcome.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Nleif wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:32 pm I've been looking for something to replace my electron machinedrum in the box. How does everyone find Stix sonically as far as just the synth engine goes? I like my drums purely synthetic so I find most drum vsts available lacking as it seems they are designed with samples in mind first, and synthesis second.

I had demoed the synth awhile back and found the bass kick absolutely monsterous but didn't delve into the other instruments as much as I should have
I think StiX is the closest in the virtual world to the power of the Elektron drum mavchines, including P.lock etc. You'll find things the Elektron cannot do too (and some Elektrons has things StiX cannot do). All in all, I hope you'll find that StiX is much easier for the workflow than the Elektron (wich can be expected for a virtual instrument anyway)

Then, StiX is from the beginning an analog + multisynthesis drum machine WITH added -rather simple- additional sample possibilities. You can mix/blend/inermodulate analog/fm@audiorate/AM/RM/CrossSynthesis etc AND, finally, samples in any of the 10 drumsounds.

So, for example, StiX can be used to recreate a vast variety of analog drum machines iconic sounds, from the most naives (Minipops), to the most tricky ones (TR-808 clap and it's special envelopes for example, or Simmons bend tones). It can also create 'new' analog percussion that can't be found on any other DM.

This said, in the next version, the Sample part will be enhanced with additionnal control, wich will make StiX even more versatile.

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

shonky wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:27 am
Nleif wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:32 pm I've been looking for something to replace my electron machinedrum in the box. How does everyone find Stix sonically as far as just the synth engine goes? I like my drums purely synthetic so I find most drum vsts available lacking as it seems they are designed with samples in mind first, and synthesis second.

I had demoed the synth awhile back and found the bass kick absolutely monsterous but didn't delve into the other instruments as much as I should have
Each of the other instruments are designed on the same basis as the kick drum (3 x oscillators, amp, pitch and filter envelopes, numerous different modulation sources). A lot of variety is possible through adding LFOs, FM, etc but didn't find it that intuitive at first. Worth reading the manual and experimenting as you can easily create "drum" hits as drones, synth notes or even chords with a bit of work.

Would prefer different envelopes per oscillator for layering but there are workarounds using other modulation sources.
Yes. Additional controls will be included in the next version (LFO one shot mode, so they can behave like envelopes to control anything you want, or to 'bend' envelopes for more versatile curves, or help to free envelopes you might want to use for another task) I experimented with this LFO mode last week, and it's pretty usefull and wild.

Can you expand on the Electron style stuff, does it do probability or play every 3rd time etc. and can StiX do polyrythem (is that done with customer number of steps)?

I like StiX, it is one of the best VST drum machines, I think the GUI is a little dated now compared to new 'flat black' synths like Pigment with lots of visual feedback and I would like to see a bigger (maybe click to go separate window) step sequencer with more steps and information visible etc, but it wouldn't take much to take this to the next level (V2)...he foundation is strong
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:42 am Can you expand on the Electron style stuff, does it do probability or play every 3rd time etc. and can StiX do polyrythem (is that done with customer number of steps)?

I like StiX, it is one of the best VST drum machines, I think the GUI is a little dated now compared to new 'flat black' synths like Pigment with lots of visual feedback and I would like to see a bigger (maybe click to go separate window) step sequencer with more steps and information visible etc, but it wouldn't take much to take this to the next level (V2)...he foundation is strong
No probability, but I've been thinking of some ways to implement some ( But maybe not like in the Elektron manner though). That will not happen in the near future though. You can program some -fake- probabilities or 1/3 etc with the macros +mods though.( Like a Square LFO full modulating OSC gain, whose rate (the Lfo) is controlled by something else) And anyway it's not similar to probs like in the Elektron. Just interesting ways to program things.

Polyrythms : Strictly and honnestly speaking no (you can also somewhat fake some with the polystep modulator, but it's not identical by far) I thought for a long time that due to StiX core engines, polyrythm would be impossible. Today I think it might not be totally out of reach, and could indeed see the light. Don't expect it in the near future though. It's so difficult that it will take a long time.
As I see you own and Elektron machine, there are similarities with the sequencer P.Lock parameters. Elektron miss the Micro Position feature iirc, PolyStep modulators and more things like that, and is also different synthesis wise, but overall they are really powerfull machines. And as you see, Elektron Rythm also does things that StiX can't do, at least at the moment. The workflow on Elektron is rather complicated for certain tasks, but power +depth =often= complexity. StiX can be rather complicated as well, if you push things, but otoh can also be very quick and straightforward.(like a simple XoX machine actuall)
I 'think' StiX is the closest virtual drum machine to an Elektron atm but I don't know every virtual DM in the world, so take this with a pinch of salt.

Btw does Elektron has the per beat step divisi feature ? I had one Elektron for 3 weeks last year, but unfortunately my friend had some heavy use for it, and I had to give him back :) I don't remember precisely all the features.

Lotuzia wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:19 pm Btw does Elektron has the per beat step divisi feature ? I had one Elektron for 3 weeks last year, but unfortunately my friend had some heavy use for it, and I had to give him back :) I don't remember precisely all the features.
Answering to myself. It seems it doesn't.

Also simply copying the same kit from a project to another seems quite difficult and possibly painfull with the Elektron Rythm, especially if it uses samples. With StiX, and a least some other sf DM, just select the desired kit between dozens of available ones, and it loads in a second.

Note : Concerning the polyrythmic beats, Elektron is very powerfull. But the visualisation is a problem, with successive screens etc. When a polyrythmic line exceeds the lenght of the standard set global metric, it seems both difficult to implement, and to afford a comfortable way to visualize it.

CHoke are now OK in StiX. Reminder : Choke is that function implemented in classic drum machines that allow HH and OH to mutually mute themselves when a new hit is triggered in one of the two sequence lines.

Obviously, Choke can also be usefull with Toms, percs, etc. So it was decided to implement it between each of the sounds pairs :

Bd -Choke- Snare -Choke- HHcl -Choke- OpHH --Choke- Tomhi -Choke- TomLo -Choke- etc.

Wich gives a lot of possibilities without having to define Choke Groups, like on NI Battery. Choke groups are certainly more powerfull and versatile, but you need to configure them with a matrix display, when in StiX, just ticking the Choke led will engage it between two pads. So we thought having 9 immediate Choke pairs woudl be a good compromise, as StiX is mainly about working both as fast as possible, make trhings fast and intuitive, and deeper functions never more than a click away of where you are.

A picture tells sometimes more : Choke pairs -green lit rectangles- , one of the new features in StiX 1.5 (requested by a lot of users over time)

Any ETA on the update?

shonky wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:25 am Any ETA on the update?
The email says the ETA is in January.

Lotuzia wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:52 am
Lotuzia wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:19 pm Btw does Elektron has the per beat step divisi feature ? I had one Elektron for 3 weeks last year, but unfortunately my friend had some heavy use for it, and I had to give him back :) I don't remember precisely all the features.
Answering to myself. It seems it doesn't.

Also simply copying the same kit from a project to another seems quite difficult and possibly painfull with the Elektron Rythm, especially if it uses samples. With StiX, and a least some other sf DM, just select the desired kit between dozens of available ones, and it loads in a second.

Note : Concerning the polyrythmic beats, Elektron is very powerfull. But the visualisation is a problem, with successive screens etc. When a polyrythmic line exceeds the lenght of the standard set global metric, it seems both difficult to implement, and to afford a comfortable way to visualize it.
Hi- Sorry, missed the question....you can sort of achieve the same type of thing with micro timing pushing notes together, the OP-Z actually has a better implementation of this and may be the most advanced drum sequencer with its step components.

Elektron certainly has its own workflow, but you hardly need to look at the screen once you get a feel for what you are doing....plus of course if you want the software experience you have Overbridge which makes using the RYTM like using a VST. Its a great sequencer without having to be stuck in front of a computer...and real analog with no CPU hit, but really Electron Vs STiX is just the old in the box/out of the box hardware Vs software debate and I use/like both!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Totally agree. So Stix and Elektron Rytm are even closer than I thought. Anyway, they should compliment each other very well. ( And one day or another, I'll probably get one tbh because having it for such a short period drove my gas on hi-level)

christian f. wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:16 pm ...........
Right now you can import a wave file , but you can't browse easily within the folder or even bookmark it for next time.

Since version 1.0.3b (July 2018), with the new preset manager, you can browse sounds very easily. You can also batch import custom samples, and batch tag them (including making favorites, and there's also a show only favorites filter) (and a hide function as well, for those presets you don't want to see again :)

memyselfandus wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:50 am No midi out from Stix in Logic is a good reason to add drag n drop
That's why it will be here in next version.

Return to “Instruments”