Hive 1.2 - free update - adds wavetables and more

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

Urs wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:37 am
I'm quite sure that it'll have an impact on Z3, but I am not yet sure if it's going to have all parts of it, or a subset and/or a set of dedicated additions. I would very much like to keep Zebra's wavetable editing functionality at a manageable number of frames and maybe concentrate on creative and musical ways to interpolate between them.
Over the years there has been discussion about Z3 having some capability of audio resynthesis. Is that in the plans for Z3 at this point?

lengro wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:24 pm I've wondered for a while - is there any difference in sound quality, between:
1) inbuilt basic waveforms
2) equivalent .umh script (for example: sin(2*pi*x) vs inbuilt sine)
3) imported wav (for example: full resolution perfect sine)

If not, why not just go full wavetable, so selecting inbuilt sine would draw a sine in first frame?
That is an interesting question...

lengro wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:24 pm I've wondered for a while - is there any difference in sound quality, between:

If not, why not just go full wavetable, so selecting inbuilt sine would draw a sine in first frame?
The built-in waveforms draw even less CPU.

Urs wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:39 pm

The built-in waveforms draw even less CPU.
Speaking of built in waveforms... would be nice to have a couple more noise options. :D

Urs/u-he,
Thank you for the free update with Hive!

Here is the silly joke for the day. If someday Urs decides to have a sex change, will he change the name of his company to u-she?
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

Nope, it would be Ursula Heckmann, unless he goes for a fancier name.

But jokes aside, I was really confused there for a second. In my head, sex change somehow sounded like a combination of SysEx and Program Change. I think I need a break.
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

Hey another quick THANKS for the amazing patches you sound designers did with the WT's. I still consider myself a novice at WT design and so I am learning quite a bit from the way(s) each of you have gotten use from the WT's to make some fantastic vintage and ultra-modern style patches. Very very well done! Thanks to U-he for the additional massive soundbank as well. Lovely array of factory waveforms here. Lots of possibilities. Like when I jumped headlong into my first set of Waldorf wavetables. If they didn't have some kind of helpful titles I would have been in the dark without a flashlight. Of course I can use my imagination but I know lots of WTs are constructed the way they are for enhancing certain styles of modulation. It's all so very interesting. I love this kind of synthesis and despite all the synths out there which employ it, I think we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg as far as what will be possible with time. Cheers!

medienhexer wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:48 pm Nope, it would be Ursula Heckmann, unless he goes for a fancier name.
That would be Ursula Le Heckmann :wink:

Thanks Urs, it's like Xmas, ohh I forgot it is Xmas ;).

As a quick suggestion, I'd propose "wt" or "WT" characters (may be with some simple and small ornamentation) with the same bold font which was used for pink and white noise, cause current drawing is a bit off compared to neat built-in waveforms, and heavily resembles cyrillic "ШТ", which is like WA(T?) if transalted to some Slavic languages :D

I mean something like this, but better designed and better drawn by some competent person :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Weapons of choice (subject to change):
Godin Redline, Kuassa, Fuse Audio, Audiority, Roland A-500pro, Dune, Dagger, TAL, Reaper for Rock & Synthwave pleasures; Viper and FL Studio for guilty EDM pleasures

PieBerger wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:04 am Fantastic update, the wavetable function has been implemented perfectly with all of the sonic variety and little to none of the overwhelm/distraction that often comes along for the ride in other wavetable synths. One thing I would like to see in v2 though is the option for Auto scanning to be free running, at the moment it's triggered for each note/arp/seq on.
I was curious about this. I'd very much prefer not to have the scanning retrigger in many cases, is there no way turn off this behavior currently? I think I asked in an old Hive thread but I never saw a follow up answer.

equinoxide wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:06 am
PieBerger wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:04 am Fantastic update, the wavetable function has been implemented perfectly with all of the sonic variety and little to none of the overwhelm/distraction that often comes along for the ride in other wavetable synths. One thing I would like to see in v2 though is the option for Auto scanning to be free running, at the moment it's triggered for each note/arp/seq on.
I was curious about this. I'd very much prefer not to have the scanning retrigger in many cases, is there no way turn off this behavior currently? I think I asked in an old Hive thread but I never saw a follow up answer.
You can use the LFO to do that...

pdxindy wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:36 am
Apologies if I am being dense but how would you apply an LFO to stop the note retrigger behavior?

equinoxide wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:52 am
pdxindy wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:36 am
Apologies if I am being dense but how would you apply an LFO to stop the note retrigger behavior?
Turn off the Auto Scanning and scan the wavetable with the LFO

Still would be handy to have a free running option for Auto Scan in 2.0, but you can do it now with the LFO. Just that it forces you to use one of those precious LFO's :)

Urs wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:19 am
david.beholder wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:56 pm
Urs wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:16 pm We'll send a newsletter tomorrow... and also make a news item for the front page.

I think in all those years I started maybe 10 threads in the Instruments forum... it feels like spamming to me when I do.
Thinking about amount of new Dune and new Arturia threads it wouldn't be spam at all. Especially that Forum/U-he in certain minds as nerdy as philosophy library and Hive is marketed as mass appeal synth.
So I think it's totally make sense to create topics about Hive 1.2 so customers not visiting this forum would see such important news.
I'll see what I come up wtih today. I was going to maybe make some files to demonstrate the advantages and shortcomings of the interpolation modes. Those would come in handy to point out what sets Hive apart from others maybe.

Btw. I wholeheartedly agree with what you, 2NDMOUSE and AdvancedFollower say. I probably also enjoy the cozyness of our little retreat here, maybe I'm subconsciously afraid of how wild things can go in Instruments :hihi:
Amen to latter... the thread in Instruments is officially lost.

Return to “u-he”