The Wagtunes Corner

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic

What CD Would You Like To Hear Me Do?

Modern Pop (Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, etc.)
5%
Classic Rock (Stones, Beatles, Who, Zep)
5%
Prog Rock (Yes, Genesis, Kansas, etc.)
10%
Show Tunes Style (Sound Of Music, My Fair Lady, etc.)
3%
Country (Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, etc.)
2%
Disco (Bee Gees, Tramps, etc.)
14%
Metal (various sub genres)
9%
EDM (various sub genres)
14%
80s (various genres)
8%
Your Music Sucks. Please Stop Making It
30%

Total votes: 174

RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:00 pm
vurt wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:49 pm yep ac box.
first amp under components/amps :tu:
I might combine this (on a different guitar obviously) with the Amplitude and see how they two sound together panned left and right.
worth a try :tu:
i don't have amplitude so cant comment on that :P

in gr though i tend to stick to the orange citrus thing, i like orange amps 8)

vurt wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:04 pm
wagtunes wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:00 pm
vurt wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:49 pm yep ac box.
first amp under components/amps :tu:
I might combine this (on a different guitar obviously) with the Amplitude and see how they two sound together panned left and right.
worth a try :tu:
i don't have amplitude so cant comment on that :P

in gr though i tend to stick to the orange citrus thing, i like orange amps 8)
Yeah well I'd still give anything to sound like Brian May. :lol:

revolving door:

i can relate, having dealt with some dodgy gf in my past.
this was a nice catchy tune, nothing sticks out productionwise
except for the wobbling old tape player effect, but
it added to that 80's experience even more. well done wags! :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:35 am revolving door:

i can relate, having dealt with some dodgy gf in my past.
this was a nice catchy tune, nothing sticks out productionwise
except for the wobbling old tape player effect, but
it added to that 80's experience even more. well done wags! :tu:
Thanks for the listen Layzer. Off to check out your latest.

First time I've listened to your work. Fun stuff, wobbly recorder and all ! I loved the vibe and mix, I'll be coming back for more of your music.

Best,

dp

StudioDave wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:59 am First time I've listened to your work. Fun stuff, wobbly recorder and all ! I loved the vibe and mix, I'll be coming back for more of your music.

Best,

dp
Well, thanks. But some of the earlier stuff might make you cringe.

wagtunes wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:41 pm
StudioDave wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:59 am ... I'll be coming back for more...
I know the feeling. I recently threw out boxes of discs, tapes, and scores accumulated over the past 40+ years. I was ruthless about it and have no regrets, most of it was indeed highly cringeworthy. :)

dp

StudioDave wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:48 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:41 pm
StudioDave wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:59 am ... I'll be coming back for more...
I know the feeling. I recently threw out boxes of discs, tapes, and scores accumulated over the past 40+ years. I was ruthless about it and have no regrets, most of it was indeed highly cringeworthy. :)

dp
So then you're like as old as I am. That tends to make things worse. LOL.

I just listened to Revolving Door. The vocals remind me of Russell Mael of the Sparks. Excellent composition with plenty of New Wave flavor. Could have been a hit.

I did think there was slightly too much reverb on the vocals. I also thought the tape effect was overdone.

Good stuff! 8)

Frantz wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:03 am I just listened to Revolving Door. The vocals remind me of Russell Mael of the Sparks. Excellent composition with plenty of New Wave flavor. Could have been a hit.

I did think there was slightly too much reverb on the vocals. I also thought the tape effect was overdone.

Good stuff! 8)
OMG, Russell Mael. You should hear me when I do my impersonation of him. It's almost dead on the money. I have a few tunes I've done in tribute to Sparks. I'll try to see if I can dig some out. They're not the best recordings but the vocals are insane.

And yes, possibly too much reverb. I was on the fence with this one whether to record it "in your face" or "in the woods" and went for the latter. But I can see how it could seem overdone. The tape effect was overdone intentionally. I just love that sound. And of course being a big Phil Spector fan, I tend to get carried away with reverb from time to time.

Sparks. LMAO. One of my all time favorite groups. Propaganda is a classic. There has never been a group like them since.

Yes, I love Sparks too. Their quirky brilliance is unique.

Check out this song from their new album. They are still going strong after something like 50 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5jtqCo43WM

Is that you singing wags?

ghettosynth wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:27 am Is that you singing wags?
Yes, that's me singing.

wagtunes wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:49 am
Yes, that's me singing.
Then you've been way too hard on yourself. Your voice isn't a superstar voice, not many of us have that, but it's perfectly fine for the tasks that you are throwing at it.

There's a video making the rounds on facebook, it's been pulled from youtube it seems, of Bernard Sumner (new order) trying to sing Blue Monday live in the studio. Point blank, dude can't sing, but he managed to make records. I think that there have been more than a few pop artists who've found themselves in a similar position, you have to just work with your strengths. Your voice is fine for any number of styles, you should sing more often on your music, it sounds far more authentic than vocaloid.

ghettosynth wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:30 pm
wagtunes wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:49 am
Yes, that's me singing.
Then you've been way too hard on yourself. Your voice isn't a superstar voice, not many of us have that, but it's perfectly fine for the tasks that you are throwing at it.

There's a video making the rounds on facebook, it's been pulled from youtube it seems, of Bernard Sumner (new order) trying to sing Blue Monday live in the studio. Point blank, dude can't sing, but he managed to make records. I think that there have been more than a few pop artists who've found themselves in a similar position, you have to just work with your strengths. Your voice is fine for any number of styles, you should sing more often on your music, it sounds far more authentic than vocaloid.
I'm well aware that there's a lot of studio magic that goes into making some of these singers sound as good as they do. Believe me, I'm not comparing myself to them. I'm talking about people who can really sing. We all know who they are. The ones who can either belt out a song or have voices like velvet. I'm not them. I ain't ever gonna be them. Yeah, I can carry a tune. Within a certain range I even sound "decent". But my goal was never to be a singer. It was to be a songwriter. Burt Bacharach has one of the worst voices I've ever heard.

I'll take his career and voice any day of the week, thank you.

But then I'm not Burt Bacharach either.

Return to “Music Cafe”