new work: Niveau Quatre, & now Niveau Cinq 1st mvmnt

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

not able to download or hear
what you don't know only makes you stronger

Well, it plays from the link here.

chrome blocks it, Firefox lets it through :shrug:

Chrome here, it plays the embed and right-click save as. Odd.

lovely calm vibe - wide open spaces, rolling grasslands, clear sky evening

quintessential wabi-sabi ...
scary good ...

Thank you.

... this took forever

Such delicate details. Stunning work. There is a cymbal swell near the beginning that sounds a little unnatural (it's the decay more than the onset) but other than that, I can't fault it at all. I would love to work on this kind of stuff!
Thanks for sharing!

Yeah, I have to look at the release there. It's kind of perfunctory.

Thanks, Justin. and particularly for the notification of that; one of those things where I con myself I'm done with that bit.
In fact it was simply that the note wasn't long enough.

The penultimate bar I struggled with for days. I was about to just delete that one as well, one of those you have this idea you're married to but it is to the detriment. But in terms of the time, it was right. I subtracted a number of notes in the lick, this arpeggio, and placed one part ahead of the others by a beat. I used the Bowed Chamber Bowls in Glassworks, a very synthetic instrument now against the alto and bass flutes, and it's a pretty weird effect but I think it happens.

&, glad you dug it, Greg

I'm just now getting wabi-sabi.
I don't have thoughts when I make the things, I just act. That could be it.
Last edited by jancivil on Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Now with a little more percussion. Not likely to gild the lily any more than this.
I'm sure little niggles with the mix will happen. Particularly w. the percussion, and placement. Looking for more back to front, etc.

It's called this rather than 'Level Four' because the French word Niveau suggests making it to that level, like 'plateau' but I think it says more.

Now w. visualizer

https://youtu.be/5mEPiH50wcM
edit: fine tuned, Dec 26
... Jan 2, 5, 16, noticed botched vid titles edit 19

gwyne sound better from the mp3 [original post], tho
Last edited by jancivil on Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Excellent! The percussion is subtle and works perfectly.

I am thinking some of these articulations on the ROLI Seaboard probably couldn't be done on the original acoustic instruments. It's like when watching a movie and you notice this must be CGI. Not necessarily a bad thing.

That is seriously great.
Only deception, the end leaves you there waiting for Niveau 4 seconde partie, or Niveau 5, or whatever you'd call it.
Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, there are certainly electronic phenomena coming off the Equator patch I went with rather than tamped down in favor of naturalism.

It's a learning curve, when I would enable Note Expression in Nuendo, some wild shit would happen so for most of it I treated it monophonically.
I had a happening sound and I was improvising and had a flow, so I didn't stop to go back into the patch design, the answer was to deal with the controllers in their lanes. /EDIT: today I made some small improvements doing “Convert to Note Expression”, you can do and then decide against.

I'm probably going to continue on with this template/workflow but I want to deal with pitch bend polyphonically, so I'm going to get back into the patch and sculpt it for that response. Technically I don't know why it behaved so differently, other than evidently the CC74 (slide, vertical slide) did more in the patch, and as though it was more sensitive. I wasn't doing a lot of that, and some by accident.

Changes reflected in last upload down to polyphonic MPE editing of the part.

thanks guys
Last edited by jancivil on Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Music Cafe”