Tech Preview: Hive Wavetables

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

nichttuntun wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:34 pm Hi...thank you U-he. HIVE made a great improvement with the new update. The Wavetables make it far more versatile in sound-options and I like that very much. Keep up the great work :)
Have a great christmas-time.

P.S.
I am looking forward to try out the new spring reverb beta / thank you for that one too :)
Indeed, the addition of wavetables is very nice! That spring reverb is awesome too. Will be getting that one. :tu:

I got some more questions. I really like to see more LFOs and am option to modulate one OSC with OSC two. Will my "dream" come true one day? Have a great time all.

nichttuntun wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:27 pm I got some more questions. I really like to see more LFOs and am option to modulate one OSC with OSC two. Will my "dream" come true one day? Have a great time all.
Current plan: Hive 2.0 will feature two Buchla-style "function generators". Those are simple envelopes with adjustable Attack and Decay rate which can cycle and thus be LFOs. Just two knobs each, a mode selector and an optional input source.

I think it makes a lot of sense to add so-called West Coast modules to Hive. These promote "gamification" of music making and synthesis, and I think that a playful approach matches Hive's design for simplicity quite well.

Would those just be linear slopes for A/D, or? :) Or I assume you'd slope them through the mod matrix, but what if you want to slope A differently to D?

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:09 pm Would those just be linear slopes for A/D, or? :) Or I assume you'd slope them through the mod matrix, but what if you want to slope A differently to D?
Two knobs, two destinations to MATH them out.

(I've planned this as a sneaky package to show people how simple Maths is... it doesn't need much once you have & understand a ModMatrix)

(also: Twangström has it, nobody complained, nobody's head exploded)

Ahhh, so it's recursive-like modulation like on Virus, where you change slopes by modulating say env attack by env attack. Well that's neat & simple way to go about it.

Urs wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:38 pm
nichttuntun wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:27 pm I got some more questions. I really like to see more LFOs and am option to modulate one OSC with OSC two. Will my "dream" come true one day? Have a great time all.
Current plan: Hive 2.0 will feature two Buchla-style "function generators". Those are simple envelopes with adjustable Attack and Decay rate which can cycle and thus be LFOs. Just two knobs each, a mode selector and an optional input source.

I think it makes a lot of sense to add so-called West Coast modules to Hive. These promote "gamification" of music making and synthesis, and I think that a playful approach matches Hive's design for simplicity quite well.
Hi Urs. Thank you for your information. That is a great thing to me. Great news. I screwed a cool presets today and totally ran out of modulation sources and so I couldn't bring the presets onto the next level. Looking forward for more features. :) cheers

Is it possible to do wavefolding on a sinewave using uhm scripting?

How would I get started?

Yeah should be possible. It's just math. :P

EvilDragon wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:49 pm Yeah should be possible. It's just math. :P
Yeah I imagined so, but don't know how to do this. I need to understand more about the math behind wavefolding and then learn how to do this in the UHM script.
Wavefolding can be done in WaveEdit for example, but isn't by far as nice as the hardware unit I got. I love how my Toppobrillo Triple Wave Folder eurorack module sound. A manual is available (http://www.toppobrillo.com/TWF/images/T ... manual.pdf) and it shows one example in a picture how a sine wave is folded (first time), but it doesn't really explain the maths in detail and I have no idea right now how to translate into math expression. I don't think I'll ever get close to the real thing in software but I HAVE to try it in Hive. :)

cnt wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:43 am Is it possible to do wavefolding on a sinewave using uhm scripting?

How would I get started?
One simple way is to use the envelope, like this:

Code: Select all

0   1    2    3   4           

1   /\    /\    /\
   /  \  /  \  /  \
  /    \/    \/    \
0/      
and in the script, go like this

Wave target=aux1 "sin( 2 * pi * phase)"
Wave "env( abs( aux1 * (1 + table * 3) ) )"
Wave "select( aux1 > 0, x, -x )"
What it does is, it runs the sine wave "sin( 2 * pi * phase)" rectified "abs( aux1 ... )" through the envelope, with rising "fold level" through the frames "... * (1 + table * 3)" . Then flips the result if the rectified version was negative before "select( aux1 > 0, x, -x )".

(take with grain of salt as I'm typing this out of my head, and I'm gobsmacked I forgot to add a sign() function)

an even simpler method... make a bipolar triangle envelope, like this

0     1    2
1   /\
   /  \
0 /    \      
        \    /
         \  /
-1        \/         
then, run the folded sine several times

Wave "sin( 2 * pi * phase)"

Wave "env( 1 + x * 0.5 * (1 + table ) )"
^^ that's pretty much the method the Toppobrillo is using. Each stage alone is a simple folder, but cascading stages results in heavy folding.

or maybe, use a sine straight instead of an envelope...

Urs wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:04 pm (also: Twangström has it, nobody complained, nobody's head exploded)
How do you know, it's literally impossible to complain without a head?
...jeez, you smart people

Return to “u-he”