Loomer Architect: A modular MIDI toolkit

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

colin@loomer wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:09 am
lnikj wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:43 am What's the CPU hit like Colin whilst in purely midi generating mode (rather than hosting plugins) ?
Tiny. The big sequencing modules are the most CPU intensive, and on a fairly low spec machine each sequencer used under 0.04% (and I do mean 0.04%, not 4%!)
:o :love: That's amazing !

atukao wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:39 am What significantly distinguishes this as an improvement over Max For Live?
The fact that you don't need Live comes to mind. ;)

Really looking forward to this.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

colin@loomer wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:09 am
lnikj wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:43 am What's the CPU hit like Colin whilst in purely midi generating mode (rather than hosting plugins) ?
Tiny. The big sequencing modules are the most CPU intensive, and on a fairly low spec machine each sequencer used under 0.04% (and I do mean 0.04%, not 4%!)
i am so happy :)
what you don't know only makes you stronger

Max standalone or for Live is a chore to program.

Architect's nodal system resembles Max.

The question remains: in what way is this an improvement over Max?

atukao wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:30 am Max standalone or for Live is a chore to program.

Architect's nodal system resembles Max.

The question remains: in what way is this an improvement over Max?
way cheaper - so it really only has to have similar midi capabilities to be more cost effective as a midi processor
what you don't know only makes you stronger

I don't know Max for Live well enough to really compare them, but I would say:

* Architect has composite data types, such as arrays, maps, tuples. Because of this, stricter type checking can be employed. In fact, there is also a specific module that can handle the type checking for you. You can specify, for example "array[nonnegative integer] or tuple(float, int, string)", and the module will only accept an array of nonnegative integers and 3-tuples with a float, integer, string member, in that order. It also prints helpful error messages when it receives the wrong type so you clearly know where you're going wrong.

* A lot of the modules are vector-based processors. Anyone who has programmed in R will be aware of them, but it reduces the need for looping in a lot of cases, and massively speeds up the processing. Essentially, if you pass two arrays [0, 1, 2, 3, 4] and [-10, 10] to a multiply module, you will produce [0, 10, -20, 30, -40]. The array elements are "recycled" so that the shorter one repeats to match the length of the long-one. This means complicated for- and while- based structures are replaced with clearer, faster, flow based ones.

* MIDI messages have special treatment and so guarantees are made to ensure no hanging note-ons.

* Lots of module that aren't available in Max, (and vice-versa, of course.)
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Also, going into coding mode now so I may not be so active on the forum for a few hours. Thanks.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Thanks for the response; good to know.
colin@loomer wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:36 am I don't know Max for Live well enough to really compare them, but I would say:

* Architect has composite data types, such as arrays, maps, tuples. Because of this, stricter type checking can be employed. In fact, there is also a specific module that can handle the type checking for you. You can specify, for example "array[nonnegative integer] or tuple(float, int, string)", and the module will only accept an array of nonnegative integers and 3-tuples with a float, integer, string member, in that order. It also prints helpful error messages when it receives the wrong type so you clearly know where you're going wrong.

* A lot of the modules are vector-based processors. Anyone who has programmed in R will be aware of them, but it reduces the need for looping in a lot of cases, and massively speeds up the processing. Essentially, if you pass two arrays [0, 1, 2, 3, 4] and [-10, 10] to a multiply module, you will produce [0, 10, -20, 30, -40]. The array elements are "recycled" so that the shorter one repeats to match the length of the long-one. This means complicated for- and while- based structures are replaced with clearer, faster, flow based ones.

* MIDI messages have special treatment and so guarantees are made to ensure no hanging note-ons.

* Lots of module that aren't available in Max, (and vice-versa, of course.)

Re: AU MIDI-FX, it'll be a long time before I risk going to Mojave myself, so that sounds good here:) Thanks again!

atukao wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:30 am The question remains: in what way is this an improvement over Max?
Well, for a lot of people, the fact that it'll run in other DAWs than Live, for one.

plus MAX's plugin hosting is pretty, erm, utilitarian.

Also, MAX doesnt ship with a mixer, timeline, sequencers and automation lanes etc all built-in. And here you've seemingly got a level of modularity that you could do implement M4L but only there, not at the DAW level...

Colin's system also seems to be built around sanity-checking, as well, all that automatic note-off stuff etc. MAX doesnt have anything like that, you'd have to build it yourself.

Sure, MAX could probably be used to do a lot of the same stuff, but I suspect this is going to be more immediate and useable for a lot of people.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

colin@loomer wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:58 am
nilhartman wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:19 amCould you show us a screenshor of how it can also behave like a tracker please ?
I'm afraid the text-based sequencing support had to be bumped for now: it had some conceptual problems that I just wasn't happy with, and I'd rather have it done right than have it just done to list a feature. I know that's likely disappointing for you as you did specifically ask for this, but how about this as a compromise: I'll extend the early-bird discount available to you until the tracker stuff is back in properly, which'll likely be v1.1 or v1.2.
Pretty sure I'll be an early bird no matter what, on day 1 ;)
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

colin@loomer wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:58 am
nilhartman wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:19 amCould you show us a screenshor of how it can also behave like a tracker please ?
I'm afraid the text-based sequencing support had to be bumped for now: it had some conceptual problems that I just wasn't happy with, and I'd rather have it done right than have it just done to list a feature. I know that's likely disappointing for you as you did specifically ask for this, but how about this as a compromise: I'll extend the early-bird discount available to you until the tracker stuff is back in properly, which'll likely be v1.1 or v1.2.
Bummer , seems I won't be leaving Renoise any time soon
WAs also looking forward to the tracker specific modules .

Anyway , congratulations with the new thread !!!
:D
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Ah ah.. in the screenshot showing "plugin hosting" I can already see "Aspect 2" ... :-)
This deserves the start of another thread ;-)

Can't believe I'll live to see this thing... :-)
Really looking forward to give it a try, even though it's grown far above what I initially hoped it to be (more focused on the nodes/code and generative part).
From the screenshots it looks rather busy GUI-wise, will have to see how it feels in actual usage. I never did gel with any other Loomer plugin so far...

How does the Lua scripting work? Is it a node that shows me a code editor in the inspector (that's how it works in SideFX Houdini) or do I have to use an external editor?

Is it possible to sequence generative things? Like playing one node structure for a certain amount of time and then translating to another structure? Overall I'm not into sequencers at all but arranging generative things in time could be interesting.

Best of luck for the final sprint Colin! :tu:

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Yes, the Lua module is just a standard module, which has its own contextual view to can edit Lua scripts. It has syntax colouring. No need for an external editor.

Not sure what you mean by the second question, but if you're asking if the "graph" itself can have sequenced changes, then for now: no, it's fixed. I dabbled with a dynamically changing graph, hit a few snags, and pushed the idea to the "cool, but needs more thoughts" drawer. This actually comes under the general category of async changes, something I will address in a (possibly distant) future iteration.

Return to “Loomer”