Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

planetearth wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:54 pm I haven't stumbled across any bugs, but I know that when this was originally made "open source" a few months ago, people were talking about fixing some things, making the GUI bigger, and maybe making an OSX version. Since then, I haven't heard much about it, so I'm not sure how much was done. A quick check on the Github page shows many outstanding bugs, with some as recent as earlier this week.
What would be a viable OSX version? OSX Standalone (.app)? or do VST2,VST3,AU work for you? if so, please check https://kzantow.github.io/surge/ for the newest build - ignore the dropbox + slack drops thrown all over the KVR forums.

About making the GUI bigger: baconpaul was working on adding zoom and SVG so the zoomed versions don't become pixelated (instead responsive) , and this was making some progress, and might still do, anyone can pick up the baton on that and take it further. it was working on AudioUnit, but not 100% compatible with Logic's resizing methods. but for this to be a proper opensource project, we need zoom to ALSO work on Windows,Linux, VST2,VST3 and AudioUnit - but there might be some progress with a Linux build in the future. Windows seems to be the one lacking the most focus, maybe we need to find someone who would be interested in building and fixing Windows-specific bugs.

The GitHub page will continue showing outstanding bugs, some as recent as today, as long as there are bugs left to fix - some of them are major, some are quick to fix. That's part and parcel of a project like this being picked up, dusted off and people trying to make it work. Bugreports are awesome! Especially if they're informative and not "yeah so uh stuf sux" like the regular forum posts around the internets, YKWIM.
planetearth wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:54 pm I was only asking because if the installer and associated files were put into a Dropbox folder, they're no longer really available to anyone who was using Github to keep up with the synth. That's why I was asking if this was going to be a separate fork of the project. Now that Vember Audio's site is gone, the Github repository is going to become more difficult to find. And if this "NKS-ready" version (for want of a better way to describe it, since no one assigned it a version number) is only available via Dropbox--and only if you find the link here on KVR--it could be more difficult for others to find out what's going on.
the thing is that when guys like z.prime or aMUSEd come in and do some dropbox/slack drops, then that's on them - and the files, as you mentioned, are static and stuck in time

i've tried to chase them and suggest that they link to https://kzantow.github.io/surge/ - but with little or no success thus far. as long as everyone is just doing their own thang and just throwing whatever-version out there, people will stay confused.

the best is to actually report the bugs to the github repo and chase them. and to be verbose about them.

there will be a changes-log, but as long as at least z.prime+aMUSEd seem to (in two separate threads) be posting their "hold my beer, I'll build this for you" solutions, there will be much confusion.

I think it'd be cool if the NKS thing was integrated into the GitHub, but I have no idea how to build, create or test NKS, I don't have NKS gear. So this would require either assistance from aMUSEd or someone else who is github-savvy to come in and go "this is how you create a commandline builder of NKS files".

MattmaN wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:53 am Any word on a Energyxt gui fix for windows vst2?
There's a ticket for it: https://github.com/kurasu/surge/issues/190

Is EnergyXT free or does it require purchasing? did you create this ticket on github?

Neopneumokok wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:41 am Do you know how to import your own wavetables? My Surge keeps crashing when I drag & drop a wav sample into the oscillator window.
query: is Surge supposed to support "drag'n'drop wav sample into oscillator window"? Is that in the documentation? I haven't read the original documentation, so I really wouldn't know. Is that how Surge1.5 did it?

esaruoho wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:50 am
planetearth wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:54 pm I was only asking because if the installer and associated files were put into a Dropbox folder, they're no longer really available to anyone who was using Github to keep up with the synth. That's why I was asking if this was going to be a separate fork of the project. Now that Vember Audio's site is gone, the Github repository is going to become more difficult to find. And if this "NKS-ready" version (for want of a better way to describe it, since no one assigned it a version number) is only available via Dropbox--and only if you find the link here on KVR--it could be more difficult for others to find out what's going on.
the thing is that when guys like z.prime or aMUSEd come in and do some dropbox/slack drops, then that's on them - and the files, as you mentioned, are static and stuck in time

i've tried to chase them and suggest that they link to https://kzantow.github.io/surge/ - but with little or no success thus far. as long as everyone is just doing their own thang and just throwing whatever-version out there, people will stay confused.

the best is to actually report the bugs to the github repo and chase them. and to be verbose about them.

there will be a changes-log, but as long as at least z.prime+aMUSEd seem to (in two separate threads) be posting their "hold my beer, I'll build this for you" solutions, there will be much confusion.

I think it'd be cool if the NKS thing was integrated into the GitHub, but I have no idea how to build, create or test NKS, I don't have NKS gear. So this would require either assistance from aMUSEd or someone else who is github-savvy to come in and go "this is how you create a commandline builder of NKS files".
As I said above several times now this is not a seperate coded version of the plugin, just some support files adding integration for NI hardware. It would be nice if it was integrated into the installers at some point but I have no idea how you would do that. NI provide those tools to official NKS partners via a SDK but user developed NKS versions have tended to be just created manually (often as in this case collaboratively between members of the NI user forums), no coding, no command lines, just saving files, taking screenshots, creating database entries. I have also said I have no problem with a link going on Github to the NKS files, but I'm not on Github myself and wouldn't know how to create a command-line convertor.

esaruoho wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:50 am
planetearth wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:54 pm I haven't stumbled across any bugs, but I know that when this was originally made "open source" a few months ago, people were talking about fixing some things, making the GUI bigger, and maybe making an OSX version. Since then, I haven't heard much about it, so I'm not sure how much was done. A quick check on the Github page shows many outstanding bugs, with some as recent as earlier this week.
What would be a viable OSX version? OSX Standalone (.app)? or do VST2,VST3,AU work for you? if so, please check https://kzantow.github.io/surge/ for the newest build - ignore the dropbox + slack drops thrown all over the KVR forums.

About making the GUI bigger: baconpaul was working on adding zoom and SVG so the zoomed versions don't become pixelated (instead responsive) , and this was making some progress, and might still do, anyone can pick up the baton on that and take it further. it was working on AudioUnit, but not 100% compatible with Logic's resizing methods. but for this to be a proper opensource project, we need zoom to ALSO work on Windows,Linux, VST2,VST3 and AudioUnit - but there might be some progress with a Linux build in the future. Windows seems to be the one lacking the most focus, maybe we need to find someone who would be interested in building and fixing Windows-specific bugs.

The GitHub page will continue showing outstanding bugs, some as recent as today, as long as there are bugs left to fix - some of them are major, some are quick to fix. That's part and parcel of a project like this being picked up, dusted off and people trying to make it work. Bugreports are awesome! Especially if they're informative and not "yeah so uh stuf sux" like the regular forum posts around the internets, YKWIM.

I haven't signed up for a github account yet so I cannot make bug reports there. However just pointing out an issue on Macos (Sierra here) - when I launch Surge VST or AU, I get an error 'Surge is not properly installed - unable to open configuration.xml from ~/Library/Application Support/Surge'

I think ~ means the user location? Because these files seem to be in the system location (main Library/Application Support folder rather than the user folder). So maybe the installer isn't putting them in the right place?

moshimoshi wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:42 pm
I haven't signed up for a github account yet so I cannot make bug reports there. However just pointing out an issue on Macos (Sierra here) - when I launch Surge VST or AU, I get an error 'Surge is not properly installed - unable to open configuration.xml from ~/Library/Application Support/Surge'

I think ~ means the user location? Because these files seem to be in the system location (main Library/Application Support folder rather than the user folder). So maybe the installer isn't putting them in the right place?
Looks like it.
You can easily fix that by moving the files to your user folder. Then you will have presets & wavetables & effects working.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:08 pm I don't get it why the 32 bit version isn't available .
It was on his website for years .... just a pointer to that download is all it takes .
C'mon claes
hi gentleclockdivider

there's a ticket out there requesting for 32bit windows+macos versions.
it's here
https://github.com/kurasu/surge/issues/ ... -451136253

basically we need someone to help with the commandline stuff required to build the 32bits!

NothanUmber wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:08 pm Ok, have also built the 32 bit installer:
http://fstrixner.de/files/Surge/Surge-1 ... -Setup.exe
hi, do you have instructions or a script that creates the 32bit build? kzantow would appreciate some help with that.
https://github.com/kurasu/surge/issues/ ... -451136253

ENV1 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:57 pm
layzer wrote:no go. i get some error about entry point not found in shell32 or something using the v1.6 dll.... ah well, i guess i'll stick to v1.5.
Thats an XP incompatibility then. It works fine (see note below) in Win7. Its also perfectly safe to move the .dll and/or the .vst3 to your desired location, the only thing thats important is to leave the resources in local appdata because the plugin absolutely expects them there. (Otherwise it will throw an error message and then start with only 'Classic' available in the oscillators, and of course no presets.)

Note: So far it starts fine and seems to work fine, (more testing required to be sure), but what i can already say is that in 99% of the cases it crashes the host upon removal or upon exiting the host with it still running. Not a good sign, but only tested with VSTHost so far. Will do some more checking tomorrow.
could you post your modifications to http://github.com/kurasu/surge/issues/new ?

fceramic wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:27 pm Would love a Mac installer. This was one of my first vst instruments!
automated 64-bit builds for macOS (AU,VST2,VST3), Windows (VST2,VST3) at https://kzantow.github.io/surge/

Ingonator wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:44 am At the moment i see two things that should be improved IMO:
- drop-down menu for wavetables that also includes the sub-folders where the tables are stored
At the moment yu have to flip through all the wavetables wit hteh up/down buttons if you search for a speciaific one which is a bit annoying.
newer build shows a dropdownmenu. check it out

acYm wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:55 pm the automation parameters for the B part seem to be bugged. they're all mis-assigned. for example f1 cutoff registers as LFO2 Delay.
logged this at https://github.com/kurasu/surge/issues/193 (related ticket pointing to other scene B issues)

c_voltage wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:01 pm Folks, i never used Surge, how to open list of wavetables (during wavetable mode in osc) for choose wave manually from list ? It is possible ? I found just how to switch wavetables only via left\right arrows. (64bit Win surge vst2 latest version)
rightmousebutton works now in newer builds.
bad bug has been fixeded.

Delta Sign wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:37 pm Usually via right click, but right click menus don't seem to work at the moment.
they work now

mutantdog wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:04 pm Is anyone from the gitHub community in this thread? It might be a good idea for someone to post the requests from here over there.
no, it is a goddamn bad idea. i've been trying to do it, and when they ask for further elaborations, i need to then ask here, and pray and hope that the original reporters, will respond back - then get like two or three words back from them, paste that into the ticket. it's better if people just register to github and verbosely post the issues they are having and explain what doesn't work.

otherwise there'll just be these slaves going back'n'forth and noone really being the wiser about what is going on with surge.

Return to “Instruments”