Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

c_voltage wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:58 pm Damn, for developer need was just share already compiled normal version with just removed protection (why not, since already shared even sources) I understand that it sounds impudent lol, but otherwise it seems these problems will have no end.
two options:
1. share old versions because everyone wants old versions because they work
2. fix new versions so there are newer versions with better features, better functionality, can be used 32-bit 64-bit on macos, windows, linux, and even surge-related regular-surge-bugs get fixed.

i pick option number 2.

if you find any issues with Surge, just report them to http://github.com/kurasu/surge/issues and open a new ticket. that way the current devs that are helping with the opensource project Surge will be able to fix them eventually, and that way everyone has a better, newer, more functional Surge.

why look back?

layzer wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:41 am
ZeePok wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:55 pm IMO, until Claeys himself says otherwise there can be no sharing of 1.5.2.
shame, because 1.5 appears to be the most stable as of now. :scared:
stable how? i mean, what kinds of bugs have you bumped into with the github builds?
Last edited by esaruoho on Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZeePok wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:30 pm Agree! 1.5 is still the best, tried it yesterday and everything works :tu:!
TBH I don't see what 'improvements' 1.6 is bringing. So far all it brought is bugs and broken features! :shrug:
could you clarify which things don't work in 1.6 that work in 1.5. this would be more helpful than saying "full of bugs, broken features"!.

ZeePok wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:38 pm I just observed that an experimental version was OS'ed and not the stable version before it! And the experimental version has some bugs and broken features. :shrug:
you COULD always take some time and actually spell out what the "some bugs" and "broken features" actually are.

otherwise we're in the dreaded territory of "my computer doesn't work!!!!" "what do you mean!" "nothing shows up on the screen!!" ... then 5 months later it turns out the monitor was not plugged in and not turned on.

chk071 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:53 pm TBH, when i saw that this is Open Source'd, i expected… nothing. Because i know the way it often goes with free Open Source projects. I know them from Linux and the Windows world. It'll be abandoned all along after a while. Not because i'm a pessimist, but, because i know what happens with most of these small Open Source projects.
well, looking at how much progress has been made since you wrote this in October and the state in January, we're in pretty good shape.

- no more swedish comments in the code
- builds 64-bit AU/VST2/VST3 macOS, 64-bit VST2/VST3 Windows
- Linux VST2 opens up a blank window and crashes
- MPE now works
- rightmousebutton and other smaller issues bug
- functioning installers available for windows+macos
- talk of people trying to find ways of getting 32bit versions built for windows+mac
- and a lot of code-sweeping/cleaning going on.

but yeah, judging by what people wrote on this forum, which was mostly "gimme gimme installers" followed by "this sux, many bugs, haha lol" ad nauseaum, who cares, huh?

pc999 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:49 am It is nice to know that people are working on this, I hope we can get it on Linux soon!

I cant help with code, but I could help translate it, if we ever get there.
translate it into what, though?

MattmaN wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:04 am
esaruoho wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:23 pm
MattmaN wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:08 am No GUI in EnergyXT. Would this be an easy fix?
which version do you need for energyxt? .vst2, .vst3, .component? windows? mac?
Windows vst2 :)
please be more precise. 64bit or 32bit.

aMUSEd wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:03 pm The NKS files can't have a version number as they are not a version of the plugin, just additional support files to integrate it into the NI hardware ecosystem. There is no source code etc to add either. I've nothing against this going up on Github though but I don't personally have an account or know how to use it and me not being able to access it on Github is going to make it harder for me to update. Maybe a link could be placed on Github to the NKS files, just as one may make links to things like third party banks etc, consider it more like that than as a new 'fork' in the codebase.
what i don't understand about the NKS file is this:
you shared two dropbox files. does one of them contain a VST2, VST3 or AudioUnit static version of Surge, or are these _additional files_ in _addition_ to Surge having to be installed. if they are additional files, then that's a different ballgame altogether.

even if you don't know how to post files on github, you could respond to conversations, it is as easy or as hard as KVRforums here. just pick an issue and write away, after registering and logging in. there really is no friction. whilst there is way more friction when you write here, i copypaste your stuff there, they ask me something there, i copypaste that to you here, you read it here, i copypaste your response there ad nauseaum.

MattmaN wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:53 am Any word on a Energyxt gui fix for windows vst2?
can you be more specific. which windows? 32bit? 64bit? which EnergyXT version?

esaruoho wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:35 pm
aMUSEd wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:03 pm The NKS files can't have a version number as they are not a version of the plugin, just additional support files to integrate it into the NI hardware ecosystem. There is no source code etc to add either. I've nothing against this going up on Github though but I don't personally have an account or know how to use it and me not being able to access it on Github is going to make it harder for me to update. Maybe a link could be placed on Github to the NKS files, just as one may make links to things like third party banks etc, consider it more like that than as a new 'fork' in the codebase.
what i don't understand about the NKS file is this:
you shared two dropbox files. does one of them contain a VST2, VST3 or AudioUnit static version of Surge, or are these _additional files_ in _addition_ to Surge having to be installed. if they are additional files, then that's a different ballgame altogether.

even if you don't know how to post files on github, you could respond to conversations, it is as easy or as hard as KVRforums here. just pick an issue and write away, after registering and logging in. there really is no friction. whilst there is way more friction when you write here, i copypaste your stuff there, they ask me something there, i copypaste that to you here, you read it here, i copypaste your response there ad nauseaum.
No there are no plugins in the Dropbox link (I only posted the one link though) - these are just support files to integrate it into NI Hardware.

Yes I suppose I could sign up for Github, it just didn't seem a big issue really, I find the actual site a nightmare to navigate and prefer to hang out here.

esaruoho wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:28 pm
pc999 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:49 am It is nice to know that people are working on this, I hope we can get it on Linux soon!

I cant help with code, but I could help translate it, if we ever get there.
translate it into what, though?
To portuguese (from english).

Anyone got Surge working properly in Logic Pro X 10.4.3. Im on Sierra OSX. Can get Surge to authorize but when it opens I get this message:

Unable to open configuration.xml from ~/Library/Application Support/Surge

shapeshifter wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:24 pm Anyone got Surge working properly in Logic Pro X 10.4.3. Im on Sierra OSX. Can get Surge to authorize but when it opens I get this message:

Unable to open configuration.xml from ~/Library/Application Support/Surge
The folder it is looking for is in /Library/App...... instead of /Users/your_user/Library/App....
Just copy it.

Is it possible to increase UI just a little bit?
yzcoruhT

esaruoho wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:26 pm but yeah, judging by what people wrote on this forum, which was mostly "gimme gimme installers" followed by "this sux, many bugs, haha lol" ad nauseaum, who cares, huh?
Any estimates when we will see a fully working, stable version then?

Thing is, i doubt that you, or anyone else is working full time on this. So, it will develop the same way many small open source projects develop. Well, for now, i guess everyone can be happy that this is alive. Which can't be said for many, many small open source projects out there.

Return to “Instruments”