u-he Hive 1.2 - free update - adds wavetables and more

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

Yes, deriving complex modulations from multiple simple modules is often a lot more fun than "drawing" some really long envelope/LFO shape.

Bazille doesn't have super complex multi-stage envelopes either, but it can still do things like this, for example:
https://soundcloud.com/deltasign/u-he-b ... d-organism

That's just one held note with a little bit of modwheel automation to bring in the second "layer" after some time. The layers are also interacting with each other, instead of just being completely separate.

Urs wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:46 pm
recursive one wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:38 pm
Urs wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:23 pmI think it's about economy on the DAW side. Fewer MIDI tracks, fewer channels to manage.

Sounds like a good job for a plug-in like Xlutop Chainer.
Maybe it makes sense in case of "lite" DAW versions with restricted amount of channels, but for me this kind of "economy" feels like a workflow nightmare. One daw channel for one melodic part with its own notes, its own automation and processing is optimal.
I guess it depends on how people prefer to work. I wouldn't know, I never layer sounds and I hardly make music these days.
On the other hand, having multiple sequencers acting as modulation sources within one synth/layer to control different things may be very useful.
Yep, absolutely. Working on that as we speak! 8)
with different (free) timing available?
in my modular i love having the 3 sequencers firing off at their own tempos
1 controlling pitch for osc 1 filter freq for filter 2 and res for filter 3
then the second controlling pitch for osc2 and so on

nice for building moving soundscapes to play guitar over :tu:

tony10000 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:20 am
pdxindy wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:25 am
tony10000 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:08 pm You certainly can do chords, but I wish you would replace the sub oscillator knob with a pull down menu with preset values. That is one thing that really drives me crazy about Hive's GUI. Trying to enter a value like a 5th (7 semi-tones) is an exercise in frustration with a mouse, even when using the shift key. I can't even enter a numerical value on the keyboard. I really don't see any use for having detune values other than integers anyway.
I don't want a pull down menu. I often want slightly off tune values.

Also, I find it no trouble to enter a value of a 5th or 7th... don't use the shift key, just drag with the mouse. It moves in .2 increments. You cannot miss a 5th. Maybe there is something wrong with your mouse?
It works fine if you want to put your mouse in slow mode. But I like to keep my pointer speed in fast or normal mode to confine mouse movement. In those modes, it over and undershoots constantly. Very annoying! I really don't like mousing around for those kind of tasks. I would rather have a pull down or direct numerical entry. Much easier and functionally more elegant.
Funny how people can have different experiences. My mouse is set on the fast side and I have no trouble going right to the value I want.

Delta Sign wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:53 pm Yes, deriving complex modulations from multiple simple modules is often a lot more fun than "drawing" some really long envelope/LFO shape.

Bazille doesn't have super complex multi-stage envelopes either, but it can still do things like this, for example:
After becoming proficient with Bazille, I lost interest in complex multi-stage envelopes. They are too static. You can change speed, but the basic shape is fixed.

I find the simpler tools in Bazille give me more interesting and organic results. You can edit them fluidly and also modulate the shape itself over time in ways that are not possible with the single complex MSEG.

Of course, you CAN dial in 5th or 7th without having a submenu for the oscillator, where you can dial it in for unison. You can also get rid of the oscillator unison, and detune 4 oscillators against each other. Or, develop a synth with 9 oscillators, so you have the same as with one oscillator. :) It's just that it's a lot more work (and a lot of additional bloat to get to the same result). And, it can also be a creative way to do complex sounds using only one oscillator. I surely sometimes make use of it, when the synth allows it (as does Spire). I really wouldn't so easily dismiss it, especially when you didn't try it yourself. There's some cool stuff possible with it, with just one oscillator. Now imagine you can do it with ALL oscillators on top of that.

I also think that you shouldn't see it as a either/or thing. It won't replace anything, it will add something. It's also not like a wavetable with chords. You have full control over the detuning of the various voices.

vurt wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:09 pmwith different (free) timing available?
Not yet sure if free timing leads to timing issues for when tight is requested. Atm I'm aiming for a given set of fixed and tightly synced timings.

If I can't make timing free, I'm open to the idea of using any of the resulting sequences as waveforms in the LFOs, thus allowing for any sort of timing (but not expecting to stay in sync for an hour or two).

(but of course, each of the 4 sequences will have their own choice of timing/tempo)

cool.
it's the interplay between the overlapping timings i enjoy
and obviously i understand the choice for strict timing being the most savvy from a developer choice :) it's the more likely request from the majority, and only oddballs like me looking to ignore timing :hihi:

vurt wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:15 pm cool.
and obviously i understand the choice for strict timing being the most savvy from a developer choice :) it's the more likely request from the majority, and only oddballs like me looking to ignore timing :hihi:
Eh he he :hihi:

If all goes well, you can do all sorts of crazy trigger-here-sample-there things. Even if the quad sequencer has strict timing, you can extract all sorts of odd timings from it.

I don't know currently if I'm more excited about sneaking modular experience into Hive or preparing a new modular performance video :clown:

(also, happy for you that you enjoy the eurocrack experience!)

Urs wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:55 pm
vurt wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:15 pm cool.
Eh he he :hihi:

If all goes well, you can do all sorts of crazy trigger-here-sample-there things. Even if the quad sequencer has strict timing, you can extract all sorts of odd timings from it.
fingers crossed then :hihi:
I don't know currently if I'm more excited about sneaking modular experience into Hive or preparing a new modular performance video :clown:
well, surely good to be excited by many things :D
will there be more footage of cvlization yet?
or is this more performance for fun than demo?
(also, happy for you that you enjoy the eurocrack experience!)
yup. loving it. 8)
no complaints from me.
my neighbours on the other hand... :hihi:

vurt wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:49 pmwill there be more footage of cvlization yet?
I can not imagine doing another modular tune, fun or not, without CVilization in it. Word is, the assembly guys have finally gotten around to do the remaining 9 pre-series boards, but our hardware guys have also changes some drivers, so the software needs to be reworked again, or parts of it. I just learned that today, it's a never ending experience...

Urs wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:20 pm
vurt wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:49 pmwill there be more footage of cvlization yet?
I can not imagine doing another modular tune, fun or not, without CVilization in it.
just wasn't sure if you had one up and running yet :hihi:
Word is, the assembly guys have finally gotten around to do the remaining 9 pre-series boards, but our hardware guys have also changes some drivers, so the software needs to be reworked again, or parts of it. I just learned that today, it's a never ending experience...
well, it takes time to get things right :tu:
sure it will be worth the wait 8)

vurt wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:14 pmjust wasn't sure if you had one up and running yet :hihi:
Yeah, one. But that's on a developer table, hooked up to some geeky stuff.

Urs wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:38 pm I'm sneaking in my utterly simplified take on Make Noise Maths. Just 4 knobs and 4 drop downs (as of now...), properly labelled. You won't notice these unless you look carefully.
This sounds suspiciously similar to CVilization.
Urs wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:38 pm I'm furthermore trying (!) to sneak in a single (!) 8-step baby version of what's called "Performer" in Massive, or "Stepper" (I think?) in Spire. Only, this one produces 4 individual control signals at once. It's like, while you only have very few steps to edit (extensively edit - including ratchets and smoothly morphing shapes!), you can make 4 different selections of these steps and run them parallel at different speeds and order. That's what I'm working on, and so far I'm very happy. I think it's going to be the fastest way to playfully create complex modulations (or just additional envelopes/LFOs) in any such synth. We just really, really, really have to make sure it fits Hive and does exactly what we need.
Sequencing insanity. So sneaky.
Urs wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:38 pm I can't wait to show you guys... but because we're really sneaky, we won't have screenshots until after the current sale runs out... gotta oblige to some of those dreadful marketing rules :oops:
*waits for screenshots* :)
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

Tangent: generative MIDI apps (or inclusion in apps) and polyrhythmic tools are a growing segment on the iOS platform, where layering within synths is few and far between - and if present, is based more on the limits of screen size, currently, because of CPU-sensitivity. The platform at the moment lends itself to more streamlined UI. Bram Bos's Rozeta Suite is phenomenally useful, for example - a suite because each tool is individual and can be combined, or not. Less is more.

In reading through this thread with an interest toward Hive 2, I read much about the philosophy behind Hive, it resonated with me given that I've made several tracks using just my iPhone, or a combination of PC+iPhone (because it's possible, so why not! :D ).

Had a testdrive today with the new features in 1.2, including writing my first wavetable scripts - what a ride.

I must say that Hive quickly grows on me again. It was the first UHE synth I bought back in 2015, when I hardly knew what I was doing, and you could say that there where times that I regretted that decision, especially after buying Zebra and Diva. But learning a few things in the last three years, it seems that I matured into using a "simple" synth. There is far more to it than meets the eye at first, especially with the new 1.2 features... all sounds (including drums) in the following track are Hive 1.2

https://soundcloud.com/zabong/second-coming-mix-123

Return to “Instruments”