Best & Most Authentic Reggae Dub Delay and Reverb Plugins

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Greetings KVR family,

With so many viable options out there, I'm curious to know what your guys feedback on the best sounding and most authentic "reggae dub" style tube delay and spring reverb VST plugins?

As for hardware units, my understanding is the Roland RE-20 is the defacto dub delay unit used back in the golden days. Can anyone confirm this? If true, which VST plugin best emulates this sound? The Audio-Thing Space Echo VST plugin comes pretty close aesthetically.

Anyways, would love to hear your feedback, thanks!

Spring Reverb - Check out u-he's new Twangstrom spring verb, it's very tasty. There's also PSP Springbox, and Aegean does one called Spirit Reverb which is nae bad.

Delay - there are many (not sure about tubed versions...). Analogic Delay by Interrupter (32 bit only emulation of Logic's delay), it has a real nice vibe, also u-he (again) ColourCopy is a really really cool, as is TAL-Dub-X (there are free early versions of this too).

AudioThing's OuterSpace, tape delay and reverb combined, and reasonably close to those Roland units.

Softube Time and Tone series has both a tube delay and a spring verb

addi wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:33 pm Roland RE-201
FTFY

neverbeeninariot wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:45 pm Spring Reverb - Check out u-he's new Twangstrom spring verb, it's very tasty. There's also PSP Springbox, and Aegean does one called Spirit Reverb which is nae bad.

Delay - there are many (not sure about tubed versions...). Analogic Delay by Interrupter (32 bit only emulation of Logic's delay), it has a real nice vibe, also u-he (again) ColourCopy is a really really cool, as is TAL-Dub-X (there are free early versions of this too).

AudioThing's OuterSpace, tape delay and reverb combined, and reasonably close to those Roland units.
There's also Mod Machine's "Modnetic" which is another take on the RE-201.

RE-20 is a modern digital pedal emulating the original Roland RE-201 tape delay. For vst I have and enjoy Surreal Machines Modnetic, which is modeled after the RE-501 successor to the RE-201 that also included chorus and reverb. Modnetic also includes a phaser and impulse responses for the RE-501 reverb and other spring and non-spring reverbs, and they sound great to me -- good one stop for dub, among other fantastic plugs like those mentioned above.

One thing about the RE-201 is it was mono, and Modnetic's stereo options are limited (though not absent) so I also like Valhalla's Ubermod for stereo control plus vintage-y vibes -- although it's capable of so much more.

Finally, NI's Replika XT has tape and analog settings that can definitely do dub, with lots of stereo control. No spring 'verb there though.

You ask for tube delay but reference a tape delay. :)

Anyway, for those dirty, runaway feedback delay things, my goto is ArcDev ET-301. I think it's "inspired by" (as in, not a strict emulation of) some hardware unit, but I'm not sure which.

NastyDLA is highly regarded as well.

GSi made a Space Echo clone too.

Full Bucket Brigade is nice for dirty analog style delay as well.

Not sure about spring verbs as I don't really use them, but you might try certain guitar amp sims. I know of at least one Fender amp that had spring verb built in.

Last edited by The Noodlist on Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:05 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Best & Most Authentic Reggae Dub Delay and Reverb Plugins
Last edited by sqigls on Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Audiothing Outer Space is what you're looking for.

It's a fantastic RE-20/RE-201 emulation. This demo video demonstrates (briefly) usage on a reggae drum loop around 1:20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv5Up5LLxMI

There was an older video on YouTube that spent a lot more time on a Reggae style vocal with the plugin, but I can't seem to find it.

funky lime wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:29 pm You ask for tube delay but reference a tape delay. :)

Anyway, for those dirty, runaway feedback delay things, my goto is ArcDev ET-301. I think it's "inspired by" (as in, not a strict emulation of) some hardware unit, but I'm not sure which.

NastyDLA is highly regarded as well.

GSi made a Space Echo clone too.

Full Bucket Brigade is nice for dirty analog style delay as well.

Not sure about spring verbs as I don't really use them, but you might try certain guitar amp sims. I know of at least one Fender amp that had spring verb built in.
This. :phones:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Audio Damage Dubstation 2 is also very nice
More BPM please

Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Aha, found the Outer Space demo video I was looking for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA9la61vOVs

Return to “Effects”