DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Richard_Synapse wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:23 am The blend is between the two filters, it is not between filter, effect and filter. If you treat the filter effect as being part of F1, it becomes easier to understand the filter balance.
I *really* think these explanations need to be in the manual - or, even better, somehow made clear on the synth´s GUI visually (I´ve been doing synthesis for some 30 years and still have to actively *remember* the way Dune does that, because I don´t find that to be very intuitive. Maybe that´s just me, though :hihi:).

epiphaneia wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:51 am I *really* think these explanations need to be in the manual - or, even better, somehow made clear on the synth´s GUI visually (I´ve been doing synthesis for some 30 years and still have to actively *remember* the way Dune does that, because I don´t find that to be very intuitive. Maybe that´s just me, though :hihi:).
True, but this is difficult to visualize, especially in a series cascade. The only way I can think of is how it's done in the Viper manual, so basically what I wrote earlier, just in the form of an image (fwiw the series configuration in Viper works like the new series routing option in Dune 3).

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:12 pm
vurt wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:58 pm poor rich, i bet hes gutted he wont have to deal with you in "after sales care" :hihi:
I've never needed any aftercare support for any computer product in 30 years be that with music software or graphic based... , I'm not TheoM :lol:
Not support, but your constant annoying and disruptive complaining is enough for any developer to shy away from you like the plague.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

To be clear synapse, are you working on correcting the serial filters or are you telling us to live with it as is?

I interpret what he said to mean it is working as designed.
rsp
sound sculptist

Yeah, so THIS - "For the new serial mode, the blend is between F1->FX (balance in leftmost position), F1->FX->F2 (center), F2 (rightmost)." is NOT what's happening. And a better serial filter algorithm for demonstration is F1-F2-FX.

Initial and put filters in serial, push the balance all the way to filter 2, set filter one to a steep cutoff and close it all the way. Where is that signal coming from?, because there should be no signal in filter 2. That's a problem on a 200$ instrument, and it's a big one for synapse. Not sure it's going to get corrected either. That's a shame for synapse and everyone if true. It's not an easy fix. It's going to require some rewrite, and the longer it goes the more embedded it becomes.

Dasheesh wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:52 pm To be clear synapse, are you working on correcting the serial filters or are you telling us to live with it as is?
there is nothing to correct, they are working as they are designed to.

thanx i'm out.

Does anyone know whether it's possible to deactivate a Dune 3 licence on a machine? As far as I can tell there's a limit of three. The old desktop machine is going to turn into a glorified file server – so it's nice to have a spare activation or two in hand just in case a motherboard bursts into flames.

Is it like the AAS system where the activation count gets reset after a few months? Or is it email get a reset or a new activation once the limit has been reached?

Dasheesh wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:13 pm [...] a better serial filter algorithm for demonstration is F1-F2-FX.

Initial[lize Patch] and put filters in serial [like F1>F2>FX], push the balance all the way to filter 2, set filter one to a steep cutoff and close it all the way. Where is that signal coming from?, because there should be no signal in filter 2. [...]
Signal is coming from F2, since you set balance to 100% F2.

If there's a Balance between F1 and F2, then there's an implicit (always present) "hardwired" parallel audio path "above" the final audio path config that sets the relation between F1, F2 and FX sections.

Knowing this, the serial configs only work as "pure serial" if Balance is set 100% to F1.

I think this is easy to understand and more flexible than only having Balance active when the parallel config is chosen, meaning, you can interfere as little or as much as you want in the serial configs by bleeding some signal to F2.

...at least, this is how I understood Dune 3's Filter signal path and never considered this level of (maybe confusing for some) flexibility, a bug but a well thought out design (though again, maybe a bit confusing to some).

Koshdukai wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:20 pm
Dasheesh wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:13 pm [...] a better serial filter algorithm for demonstration is F1-F2-FX.

Initial[lize Patch] and put filters in serial [like F1>F2>FX], push the balance all the way to filter 2, set filter one to a steep cutoff and close it all the way. Where is that signal coming from?, because there should be no signal in filter 2. [...]
Signal is coming from F2, since you set balance to 100% F2.

If there's a Balance between F1 and F2, then there's an implicit (always present) "hardwired" parallel audio path "above" the final audio path config that sets the relation between F1, F2 and FX sections.

Knowing this, the serial configs only work as "pure serial" if Balance is set 100% to F1.

I think this is easy to understand and more flexible than only having Balance active when the parallel config is chosen, meaning, you can interfere as little or as much as you want in the serial configs by bleeding some signal to F2.

...at least, this is how I understood Dune 3's Filter signal path and never considered this level of (maybe confusing for some) flexibility, a bug but a well thought out design (though again, maybe a bit confusing to some).

Except they are not in series. It's just blending the two filters together... so what are the parallel algorithms for?

I'm not going to argue what series filters are. I've just uninstalled and am deciding if I want to stay with dune 2 and reinstall all that or call it a day and move on. It was an impulse buy at this point.

Dasheesh wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:28 pm
Koshdukai wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:20 pm If there's a Balance between F1 and F2, then there's an implicit (always present) "hardwired" parallel audio path "above" the final audio path config that sets the relation between F1, F2 and FX sections.

Except they are not in series. It's just blending the two filters together... so what are the parallel algorithms for?
Set config to parallel: Pure Parallel filters in series with FX.

Set balance 100% to F1 + Serial config: filters in pure series.
Set balance to Center + Serial config: filters in pure series.

Any balance higher than 100% F1 in serial config, you get an hybrid.
Any balance different from Center in serial config, you get an hybrid.

btw, I'm not arguing (or trying to convince anyone of anything).
I'm just trying to explain how Dune 3 is working (at least my understanding of it).
If the extra functionality confuses you, just keep Balance set to 100% F1 Center when not using Parallel.

Edit: Sorry, had to correct my previous sentences after revisiting Dune 3 and confirming what I wrote.
It is indeed a bit confusing, TBH... but more flexible than only having pure series vs parallel :)
Last edited by Koshdukai on Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Koshdukai wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:36 pm

btw, I'm not arguing (or trying to convince anyone of anything).
I'm just trying to explain how Dune 3 is working (at least my understanding of it).
has nothing to do with you and not personal, i'm just very frustrated.

add another algorithm called strait series in which the fx section is bypassed and the filters are actually in series.

problem solved.

Return to “Instruments”