Sylenth1 vs Synthmaster One

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
AnX
KVRAF
3813 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Post Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:23 pm

pdxindy wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:54 am
BONES wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:59 pm
Synthmaster One is a far more versatile synth with an excellent reputation and you can get it for half the price of Sylenth 1, making it a total no contest.
Indeed, half the price, far far more versatile sonic landscape and better sound quality. All Sylenth has is a reputation from ancient history...

this

User avatar
pdxindy
KVRAF
14799 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Re: Sylenth1 vs Synthmaster One

Post Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:20 pm

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:02 am
I don't get that whole lack of bottom discussion. S1's volume seems evenly spread across all octaves, i. e. flat. If a synth has more bottom, it will show on analyzers. Then obviously there is some sort of internal equalization going on.
But if you wish to stress the bass, why not use the EQ? I hooked up my sound card's output to my Roland bass combo some time ago, my S1 basses sounded pretty powerful to me :)
It has nothing to do with level...

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12923 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Re: Sylenth1 vs Synthmaster One

Post Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:27 pm

Of course it has. The level/volume/gain of certain frequencies relative to the others'. That's what an EQ is about.

User avatar
pdxindy
KVRAF
14799 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Re: Sylenth1 vs Synthmaster One

Post Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:30 pm

Calandria wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:45 am
Those commonly agreed perceptions are assumptions and you know it :)
Quality, is an inner private experience.
What you are calling quality, I would call whether someone likes it...

Some guitars are built to a higher standard of quality than some other guitars. One individual might like the lower quality guitar better. Whether someone likes something is their own inner experience. That does not mean that all guitars are of the same quality.

User avatar
pdxindy
KVRAF
14799 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Re: Sylenth1 vs Synthmaster One

Post Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:33 pm

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:27 pm
Of course it has. The level/volume/gain of certain frequencies relative to the others'. That's what an EQ is about.
I said nothing about an EQ

The weakness in the low end of Sylenth has nothing to do with the gain of certain frequencies. It's the character/quality of the sound, not the level.

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12923 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Re: Sylenth1 vs Synthmaster One

Post Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:37 pm

pdxindy wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:33 pm
fluffy_little_something wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:27 pm
Of course it has. The level/volume/gain of certain frequencies relative to the others'. That's what an EQ is about.
I said nothing about an EQ

The weakness in the low end of Sylenth has nothing to do with the gain of certain frequencies. It's the character/quality of the sound, not the level.
Character and quality - rather wishy-washy terms to begin with - are not magic, they are just certain level distributions across the frequency range.

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
7555 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: Sylenth1 vs Synthmaster One

Post Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:08 pm

chk071 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:31 am
I agree that Sylenth1's bottom end is a bit weak compared to some more current synths. I'd also agree that Synthmaster (One's) filters are more advanced in regards of analog modelled behavior. The thing is, the sheer perception of sound/tone is rather subjective.
What you are "more into" is a completely different thing to "sound quality". You agree that Sylenth 1 is weak in the bottom end, therefore you agree that it's "sound quality" is not as good as it could be. End of story.

It is completely reasonable to prefer one thing to another but that doesn't prevent you from acknowledging that its sound is objectively not as good as something else. e.g. I think DUNE's sound quality is way better than Thorn's but I'll take Thorn over DUNE every day of the week because I just love playing with it and I get acceptable results, where I hate having to dig into DUNE even though I know I'll probably get even better results from it if I can be arsed. So if someone asked me which has higher quality sound, it would be DUNE every day of the week but if they asked me which one I like more, it would always be Thorn. Why is that such a difficult thing for so many people? Why is it so essential to believe that your favourite thing is also the best?
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, 8GB RAM, Win10), Yamaha AG06, Orion 64 bit, Roli Seaboard Rise 25, Ultranova, Rocket, Pulse 2, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno.

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
7555 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: Sylenth1 vs Synthmaster One

Post Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:14 pm

Calandria wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:37 am
But Sylenth is still legendary in its own right.
And, like all legends, it has only the most tenuous link to fact and reality. It is not really much of a synth at all and I doubt I'd bother installing it if it was free. There is no way I would pay even $20 for it.
fluffy_little_something wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:46 am
Those two synths sound different from each other. Some prefer the sound of S1, while they don't need versatility such as wavetables.
What you mean is they can sound different to one another but for most of the sounds we use most of the time, those differences are irrelevant. People keep saying that Sylenth 1 sound good but nothing I've heard backs that up. Your brass patches, for example, sound lame to my ears. At best I'd say it sounds alright - there are worse sounding synths but there are also better sounding synths. The thing with it is, though, is that the worse sounding synths are all much cheaper than S1 and even some of the better sounding ones will save you plenty. If you only have $200 to spend - and let's be honest, that is serious coin for a plugin, you can by a real, analogue hardware synth for that money (Uno) - you can do much, much better than Sylenth 1.
Calandria wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:45 am
Those commonly agreed perceptions are assumptions and you know it :)Quality, is an inner private experience.
Absolute garbage! Quality is something you can feel, hear, see and touch. Polished mahogany, for example, is of infinitely higher quality than rough-hewn radiata pine in multiple, quantifiable ways. If quality could not be quantified, we could not have "quality control", could we?
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, 8GB RAM, Win10), Yamaha AG06, Orion 64 bit, Roli Seaboard Rise 25, Ultranova, Rocket, Pulse 2, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno.

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12923 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Re: Sylenth1 vs Synthmaster One

Post Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:22 pm

BONES wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:14 pm
fluffy_little_something wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:46 am
Those two synths sound different from each other. Some prefer the sound of S1, while they don't need versatility such as wavetables.
What you mean is they can sound different to one another but for most of the sounds we use most of the time, those differences are irrelevant. People keep saying that Sylenth 1 sound good but nothing I've heard backs that up. Your brass patches, for example, sound lame to my ears. At best I'd say it sounds alright - there are worse sounding synths but there are also better sounding synths. The thing with it is, though, is that the worse sounding synths are all much cheaper than S1 and even some of the better sounding ones will save you plenty. If you only have $200 to spend - and let's be honest, that is serious coin for a plugin, you can by a real, analogue hardware synth for that money (Uno) - you can do much, much better than Sylenth 1.
Indeed, those two or three brass patches I posted weeks ago are lame, but they are not "my" brass patches. I simply recreated those from Diva as best as I could in order to show that there is little difference.

I would not want any hardware at this point, frankly. Too much trouble: cables, just one instance, possible failure and repairs, etc.

I bought it during a sale, for 100 euros or so, which is ok.

kv331
KVRAF
5568 posts since 14 Nov, 2006 from Ankara, Turkey

Re: Sylenth1 vs Synthmaster One

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:36 am

Guys, I uploaded the audio demos of the rest of the new factory presets in SynthMaster One v1.2. I hope these demos will give a clue as to what the synth is capable of, and also will answer those folks who were asking for expansions/new sounds:

https://soundcloud.com/kv331synthmaster ... ne-factory

https://soundcloud.com/kv331synthmaster ... ne-factory

https://soundcloud.com/kv331synthmaster ... ne-factory

https://soundcloud.com/kv331synthmaster ... ne-factory

https://soundcloud.com/kv331synthmaster ... ne-factory

https://soundcloud.com/kv331synthmaster ... ne-factory
Last edited by kv331 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Works at KV331 Audio
SynthMaster voted "Best VST/AU Synth of 2016" by MusicRadar readers
SynthMaster One voted "Best New Virtual Instrument of 2017" by MusicRadar readers

kv331
KVRAF
5568 posts since 14 Nov, 2006 from Ankara, Turkey

Re: Sylenth1 vs Synthmaster One

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:37 am

Deleted
Works at KV331 Audio
SynthMaster voted "Best VST/AU Synth of 2016" by MusicRadar readers
SynthMaster One voted "Best New Virtual Instrument of 2017" by MusicRadar readers

User avatar
martinjuenke
KVRAF
3000 posts since 28 Dec, 2015 from Germany

Re: Sylenth1 vs Synthmaster One

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:55 am

FAT :tu:

Flowing atmospheric music
http://www.sonoryth.bandcamp.com/music

User avatar
zvenx
KVRAF
6935 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from Kingston, Jamaica

Re: Sylenth1 vs Synthmaster One

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:41 am

To Friday!
Sounding good.
rsp
sound sculptist

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
7555 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: Sylenth1 vs Synthmaster One

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:44 pm

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:22 pm
Indeed, those two or three brass patches I posted weeks ago are lame, but they are not "my" brass patches. I simply recreated those from Diva as best as I could in order to show that there is little difference.
So what you wanted to show was that Diva could sound every bit as lame as any other synth. How is that a surprise to anyone? You are basically agreeing with my point the most of the time it doesn't matter which synth you use, that it's only in specific circumstances that one particular synth might do a better job than another.
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, 8GB RAM, Win10), Yamaha AG06, Orion 64 bit, Roli Seaboard Rise 25, Ultranova, Rocket, Pulse 2, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno.

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12923 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Re: Sylenth1 vs Synthmaster One

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:54 pm

BONES wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:44 pm
fluffy_little_something wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:22 pm
Indeed, those two or three brass patches I posted weeks ago are lame, but they are not "my" brass patches. I simply recreated those from Diva as best as I could in order to show that there is little difference.
So what you wanted to show was that Diva could sound every bit as lame as any other synth. How is that a surprise to anyone? You are basically agreeing with my point the most of the time it doesn't matter which synth you use, that it's only in specific circumstances that one particular synth might do a better job than another.
Well, it is no surprise to me, but others keep saying how big the difference is. I don't really hear that, though. The biggest difference I notice is the CPU load :hihi:

Embedded in a song I agree that it doesn't matter much as long as it is a quality synth using the same synthesis type. When comparing synths people often take isolated patches, where of course minor differences are much more striking than in the mix.

Return to “Instruments”