lkjb Luftikus release

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
v1o
KVRian
1403 posts since 2 Oct, 2004

Post Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:37 pm

Halonmusic wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:20 am
v1o wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:05 pm
Halonmusic wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:47 pm
You shure its Abandonware? lkjb is still active.
Of course. It’s been six years since the last release.
Since the release of Luftikus you mean? Well maybe it is abandoned, but as u said lkjb is still active.
Yes since the last point release.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o
KVRian
1403 posts since 2 Oct, 2004

Re: lkjb Luftikus release

Post Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:01 pm

enroe wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:52 pm
v1o wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:04 am
This is now abandonware so I won’t even bother trying it.
Ha yeah.

The criterion "abandonware" would be important for a complex
software with lots of bugs, but not for a simple VST-eq.

This eq has no obvious bugs - is rock solid - and thus didn't need
to have changed anything.

What you said is like owning a Neumann U67-Microphone
and devalueing it as "abandonware". Or do you also think
of Roland TR909 as "abandonware"? :hihi:
Hardware is different from software but it still needs maintenance e.g. repairs and replacing parts that become faulty over time. Software needs to be constantly updated to bring it up to the latest development frameworks and the latest operating system updates. This EQ hasn’t been updated in six years and there has been no word from the developer about the development status or the future roadmap for Luftikus in all this time. So we don’t know that for example if there ever is an OS update or (even a DAW update) that breaks Luftikus, whether that will ever get corrected, since it appears like development has come to a hault.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Halonmusic
KVRAF
1892 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Re: lkjb Luftikus release

Post Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:41 pm

escalona wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:44 pm
Halonmusic wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:20 am
v1o wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:05 pm
Halonmusic wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:47 pm
You shure its Abandonware? lkjb is still active.
Of course. It’s been six years since the last release.
Since the release of Luftikus you mean? Well maybe it is abandoned, but as u said lkjb is still active.
I honestly would have loved it if I had found this plugin before I spent money on the maag4. It even uses slightly less resources than the maag4 and it sounds exactly the same (I'd even say more open in the top end).
I feel you man. Maybe you can sell it?

SoundPorn
KVRist
481 posts since 24 Jul, 2018

Re: lkjb Luftikus release

Post Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:38 am

It's a 64 bit vst that works fine without issue or bugs. So what is he going to update?
You want a future roadmap for a free plugin? What does this even mean?
Maybe this is a MAC thing since I'm a PC user I never have concerns about software that works perfectly fine needing to be updated.

Question should be does it work. If yes then whats the problem?
v1o wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:01 pm
enroe wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:52 pm
v1o wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:04 am
This is now abandonware so I won’t even bother trying it.
Ha yeah.

The criterion "abandonware" would be important for a complex
software with lots of bugs, but not for a simple VST-eq.

This eq has no obvious bugs - is rock solid - and thus didn't need
to have changed anything.

What you said is like owning a Neumann U67-Microphone
and devalueing it as "abandonware". Or do you also think
of Roland TR909 as "abandonware"? :hihi:
Hardware is different from software but it still needs maintenance e.g. repairs and replacing parts that become faulty over time. Software needs to be constantly updated to bring it up to the latest development frameworks and the latest operating system updates. This EQ hasn’t been updated in six years and there has been no word from the developer about the development status or the future roadmap for Luftikus in all this time. So we don’t know that for example if there ever is an OS update or (even a DAW update) that breaks Luftikus, whether that will ever get corrected, since it appears like development has come to a hault.

Spitfire31
KVRAF
2812 posts since 18 May, 2003 from Sweden

Re: lkjb Luftikus release

Post Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:58 am

SoundPorn wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:38 am
It's a 64 bit vst that works fine without issue or bugs. So what is he going to update?
You want a future roadmap for a free plugin? What does this even mean?
Maybe this is a MAC thing since I'm a PC user I never have concerns about software that works perfectly fine needing to be updated.

Question should be does it work. If yes then whats the problem?
THIS! :tu:

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Halonmusic
KVRAF
1892 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Re: lkjb Luftikus release

Post Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:01 am

I agree with @SoundPorn

v1o
KVRian
1403 posts since 2 Oct, 2004

Re: lkjb Luftikus release

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:01 pm

SoundPorn wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:38 am
It's a 64 bit vst that works fine without issue or bugs. So what is he going to update?
You want a future roadmap for a free plugin? What does this even mean?
Maybe this is a MAC thing since I'm a PC user I never have concerns about software that works perfectly fine needing to be updated.

Question should be does it work. If yes then whats the problem?
v1o wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:01 pm
enroe wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:52 pm
v1o wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:04 am
This is now abandonware so I won’t even bother trying it.
Ha yeah.

The criterion "abandonware" would be important for a complex
software with lots of bugs, but not for a simple VST-eq.

This eq has no obvious bugs - is rock solid - and thus didn't need
to have changed anything.

What you said is like owning a Neumann U67-Microphone
and devalueing it as "abandonware". Or do you also think
of Roland TR909 as "abandonware"? :hihi:
Hardware is different from software but it still needs maintenance e.g. repairs and replacing parts that become faulty over time. Software needs to be constantly updated to bring it up to the latest development frameworks and the latest operating system updates. This EQ hasn’t been updated in six years and there has been no word from the developer about the development status or the future roadmap for Luftikus in all this time. So we don’t know that for example if there ever is an OS update or (even a DAW update) that breaks Luftikus, whether that will ever get corrected, since it appears like development has come to a hault.
You missed the point. The question is will it work in future? I don't want to have issues with old projects not working when I update my DAW and OS. The developer has gone silent, has he committed to further development and maintenance?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Spitfire31
KVRAF
2812 posts since 18 May, 2003 from Sweden

Re: lkjb Luftikus release

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:16 pm

v1o wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:01 pm
I don't want to have issues with old projects not working when I update my DAW and OS. The developer has gone silent, has he committed to further development and maintenance?
Maybe you shouldn't act like a cheapskate, then, and use freeware in important (?) projects?

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

imrae
KVRian
530 posts since 2 Jul, 2010

Re: lkjb Luftikus release

Post Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:22 am

It's not about being cheap, there is no paid replacement for Luftikus. The Maag EQ4 plugin lacks auto-gain which is really significant on an EQ with such broad bands.

funky lime
KVRian
1235 posts since 17 Sep, 2002

Re: lkjb Luftikus release

Post Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:14 pm

v1o wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:01 pm
You missed the point. The question is will it work in future? I don't want to have issues with old projects not working when I update my DAW and OS. The developer has gone silent, has he committed to further development and maintenance?

Are Muzys and Orion Platinum still updated?

v1o
KVRian
1403 posts since 2 Oct, 2004

Re: lkjb Luftikus release

Post Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:24 am

funky lime wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:14 pm
v1o wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:01 pm
You missed the point. The question is will it work in future? I don't want to have issues with old projects not working when I update my DAW and OS. The developer has gone silent, has he committed to further development and maintenance?

Are Muzys and Orion Platinum still updated?
They are discontinued now. My sig is ten years old.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

User avatar
Russell Grand
KVRAF
1663 posts since 22 May, 2017

Re: lkjb Luftikus release

Post Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:28 am

imrae wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:22 am
It's not about being cheap, there is no paid replacement for Luftikus. The Maag EQ4 plugin lacks auto-gain which is really significant on an EQ with such broad bands.
I agree, nothing is quite like Luftikus. It's still my favorite EQ.

lkjb
KVRist
111 posts since 13 Oct, 2012

Re: lkjb Luftikus release

Post Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:36 am

Luftikus isn't abandoned but as mentioned, there were no recent updates since it seams to work. The plugin's features are rather concise giving no real demand to being extended which would be another reason to release an update.

Even if I would abandon it (no plans to do so in the near or intermediate future) someone else could take over since it's open source. The DSP isn't complicated and the plugin uses JUCE which I think is one of the most common Frameworks used for plugin development.

Of course, since I do this only as a hobby I don't actively look for bugs or host/OS compatibility issues but rely on user reports. So if Apply breaks something once again in the future you will probably have to wait longer for a fix than by a commercial developer. But it is very likely that there will be a fix.

Spitfire31
KVRAF
2812 posts since 18 May, 2003 from Sweden

Re: lkjb Luftikus release

Post Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:44 am

lkjb wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:36 am
Luftikus isn't abandoned but as mentioned, there were no recent updates since it seams to work. The plugin's features are rather concise giving no real demand to being extended which would be another reason to release an update.

Even if I would abandon it (no plans to do so in the near or intermediate future) someone else could take over since it's open source. The DSP isn't complicated and the plugin uses JUCE which I think is one of the most common Frameworks used for plugin development.

Of course, since I do this only as a hobby I don't actively look for bugs or host/OS compatibility issues but rely on user reports. So if Apply breaks something once again in the future you will probably have to wait longer for a fix than by a commercial developer. But it is very likely that there will be a fix.
Thank you for the plug and for the heads up! :tu: :clap:

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

enroe
KVRian
906 posts since 19 Mar, 2008 from germany

Re: lkjb Luftikus release

Post Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:26 pm

lkjb wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:36 am
Luftikus isn't abandoned but as mentioned, there were no recent updates since it seems to work. The plugin's features are rather concise giving no real demand to being extended which would be another reason to release an update.
That is the best that can be said about a plugin at all!

Luftikus is fantastic - and I guess it will stay so in the
next 10 years.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Return to “Effects”