Access Virus snow VST replacement.

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
layzer
KVRAF
6111 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:42 pm

chk071 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:49 am
The DA converters of the Virus already will give you a different sound as if you'd run it via USB audio over your computer.
What about the length of the copper tracing on the circuit board going from the DAC to the
outputs? thats also going to give a different sound as well.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Glyn Darby
KVRist
127 posts since 22 Apr, 2008 from Waltham-st-Lawrence.

Re: Access Virus snow VST replacement.

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:55 pm

fsciarra62 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:37 pm
Ehm... Glyn...
I apologize. I missed your reply that you have already got Hive: good choice for me...
I’ve complemented with Presswerk and ColourCopy as effects... Presswerk is not only a compressor and ColourCopy has many flavours to taste.
Try them...
Best regards and sorry again.
Fabrizio
No worries Fabrizio,
It was a hard choice as they are all great but Hive just edged it for me and thanks for the heads up on the other Uhe stuff.

Cheers,
Glyn.

recursive one
KVRAF
3847 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:13 pm

Glyn Darby wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:14 pm
As an out and out replacement for my snow as most have said it would be hard to pin it on any one of them exactly but as a replacement for it I have opted for the Uhe Hive.
Cool :)

Interesting choice, among the other synths mentioned in this thread I'd say Hive is the least similar to Virus in terms or sound or features. Afaik Urs never particularly liked Virus and never thought it was worth being emulated or being used as a reference.

But Hive it's cool in it's own right. Some nice sounds in this demo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUwhpI_0OuY

I guess it mostly comes down to the included wavetable content but I like the approach of limiting the available options to those that are easy to use and sound good.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Elektronisch
KVRAF
2669 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:18 pm

recursive one wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:13 pm
Glyn Darby wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:14 pm
As an out and out replacement for my snow as most have said it would be hard to pin it on any one of them exactly but as a replacement for it I have opted for the Uhe Hive.
Cool :)

Interesting choice, among the other synths mentioned in this thread I'd say Hive is the least similar to Virus in terms or sound or features. Afaik Urs never particularly liked Virus and never thought it was worth being emulated or being used as a reference.

But Hive it's cool in it's own right. Some nice sounds in this demo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUwhpI_0OuY

I guess it mostly comes down to the included wavetable content but I like the approach of limiting the available options to those that are easy to use and sound good.
I actually disagree there, you can get "virusy" sound with it :-)

And i dont remember Urs saying he never liked virus :-)

recursive one
KVRAF
3847 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Post Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:13 am

Elektronisch wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:18 pm
I actually disagree there, you can get "virusy" sound with it :-)

And i dont remember Urs saying he never liked virus :-)
Well, you can get some "virusy" sounds with pretty much anything :) Virus is a very deep and versatile synth, no wonder different people appreciate different sounds and diferent qualities of it.

For me the crucial Virus features are
- "pos tri" FM
- some of the distortions with their specific character
- pre-filter distortion/ratecrush
- global unison with phase offset
- formant complex
- vowel filter
- phaser with its specific "virusy" sound
- the hypersaw :oops:
This defines my choice of "virus replacement" synths but I can see how it may be different to someone else.

Urs did say something about Virus in the Zebra 3 thread and maybe some other threads too, I don't exactly remember.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

izonin
KVRian
1176 posts since 27 Oct, 2009

Post Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:15 am

Urs and the head of Access are good friends, so for him cloning the Virus is a no-no.

Viper is at the moment the top emulation, but the hardware still sounds a tiny bit cleaner/neater. You can definitely hear a difference when the filter is less than 50% open. They use different filter algos, Viper being ZDF.

chk071
KVRAF
18522 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:53 am

izonin wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:15 am
Urs and the head of Access are good friends, so for him cloning the Virus is a no-no.
I doubt that it was about cloning the Virus. Didn't Howard Scarr make a Virus soundset for Zebra?
izonin wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:15 am
Viper is at the moment the top emulation, but the hardware still sounds a tiny bit cleaner/neater. You can definitely hear a difference when the filter is less than 50% open. They use different filter algos, Viper being ZDF.
ZDF doesn't say much about the filter. It's just a technique to get a better filter response. You can create a completely similar Virus filter with a ZDF, or without a ZDF design. And, of course it's different algorithms, otherwise Adam would have to face a potential law suit. :D

izonin
KVRian
1176 posts since 27 Oct, 2009

Post Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:11 am

chk071 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:53 am
ZDF doesn't say much about the filter. It's just a technique to get a better filter response. You can create a completely similar Virus filter with a ZDF, or without a ZDF design. And, of course it's different algorithms, otherwise Adam would have to face a potential law suit. :D
ZDF have different transient response than 1-sample Delay Feedback. This is something you can hear (if you listen closely).

cytospur
KVRian
1140 posts since 26 Jun, 2002 from London, UK

Post Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:16 am

izonin wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:11 am
chk071 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:53 am
ZDF have different transient response than 1-sample Delay Feedback. This is something you can hear (if you listen closely).
That depends on the sample rate. The higher the rate the more negligible the difference becomes.
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

adamtrance
KVRian
715 posts since 29 Sep, 2004

Post Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:00 pm

The difference in the filter is the emulation accuracy and not the slope difference. If the virus filter set at 50% is lets say at 467.43 Hz then maybe the viper at 50% is at 469.83 Hz. Its just these tiny differences you hear. It would cost too much CPU to accurately 100% model everything to microscopic levels, I can only estimate their code because obviously only Access knows what algo they used, I can only create something thats similar but close enough.
http://www.adamszabo.com/ - Synths, soundsets and music

AnX
KVRAF
3798 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Post Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:24 pm

Viper is def the closest, but is missing some stuff.
there is nothing that is a true 100% feature emu.

Return to “Instruments”