Which host can do this?

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
pottering
KVRian
676 posts since 14 Dec, 2014

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:43 am

Ableton Live's Session View is not only for single Clips, it can be used for arranging parts (that's basically what "Scenes" are for).

You can make a selection and use "Consolidate Time to New Scene". It works over multiple tracks, which makes it very useful for trying out new arrangements.
It will copy (non-destructively) the selected parts of all the selected tracks to a new Scene in Session View.
You easily split the arrangement into "Intro", "Verse","Chorus", etc, or select and pick other kinds of variations and combinations from your arrangement.

https://sonicbloom.net/en/ableton-live- ... es-faster/

Later you can drag the Scenes back, or use Arrangement Record.

Beyond that you can simply add Locators, and then Key or MIDI Assign them. Then you can "play" the locators real-time to test new arrangements. It will follow Global Quantization.

https://sonicbloom.net/en/ableton-live- ... -locators/

Only for single Clips, but useful across different sets and projects: Drag'n'drop Clips into the Browser. It will save them as small ".alc" files that can be re-used in the same or other projects. They have a audio preview, it will fit the BPM if the transport is playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWc_S4q0-VQ

Basically, all the tips you can find on google for "remix stems with Ableton", "prepare your track for live performance with Ableton", etc. , also work for re-arranging your own tracks too.

There is a lot of info out there for "remixing" and "live performance" with Ableton Live.

skank
KVRist
440 posts since 19 Mar, 2004

Re: Which host can do this?

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:18 pm

garryknight wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:56 am
skank wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:14 pm
garryknight wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:28 am
Studio One. You can do this with MIDI parts, audio, song loops, anything that will go on the timeline.
Can you please clarify how?
I’m not at my PC right now, but you open the Browser, go to Files, find the folder in the file tree where you want to copy stuff, and just click and drag. For some operations you’d need to hold down the Alt (Opt) key while dragging, but I don’t remember which, off the top of my head. If it’s a folder you often copy stuff in and out of, you can add the folder as a tab header in the Browser window for quick access. I have one called ‘Scratch’ just for this purpose.

Ask if you have more questions, and I can check the manual later on.
Thanks. So the browser is the panel on the right and I can drag a part from the arranger into it and also drag that same part back k out into the arranger (even on to other midi tracks)?
This isn't what you think.

skank
KVRist

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:22 pm

pljones wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:17 am
MuTools' MuLab's Browser lets you drag'n'drop all sorts of things.
Thanks, TBH I know next to nothing of this DAW, but can check it out

skank
KVRist

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:24 pm

pdxindy wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:42 am
In Bitwig, you can have the clip launcher open at the same time as arranger. So you could drag clips over to the clip launcher for storage as it were.
Thanks, can those clips be drug to any midi track? For instance drag back the keys chord pard to a pad instrument?

skank
KVRist

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:34 pm

pottering wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:43 am
Ableton Live's Session View is not only for single Clips, it can be used for arranging parts (that's basically what "Scenes" are for).

You can make a selection and use "Consolidate Time to New Scene". It works over multiple tracks, which makes it very useful for trying out new arrangements.
It will copy (non-destructively) the selected parts of all the selected tracks to a new Scene in Session View.
You easily split the arrangement into "Intro", "Verse","Chorus", etc, or select and pick other kinds of variations and combinations from your arrangement.

https://sonicbloom.net/en/ableton-live- ... es-faster/

Later you can drag the Scenes back, or use Arrangement Record.

Beyond that you can simply add Locators, and then Key or MIDI Assign them. Then you can "play" the locators real-time to test new arrangements. It will follow Global Quantization.

https://sonicbloom.net/en/ableton-live- ... -locators/

Only for single Clips, but useful across different sets and projects: Drag'n'drop Clips into the Browser. It will save them as small ".alc" files that can be re-used in the same or other projects. They have a audio preview, it will fit the BPM if the transport is playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWc_S4q0-VQ

Basically, all the tips you can find on google for "remix stems with Ableton", "prepare your track for live performance with Ableton", etc. , also work for re-arranging your own tracks too.

There is a lot of info out there for "remixing" and "live performance" with Ableton Live.
Thanks pottering, though this is not quite it. It's rather simpler than what's here, I simply want to be a leader to drag a midi part into a browser and be able to drag that musical midi part back onto any instrument track.

Essentially clip management / arrangement without session view)

skank
KVRist

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:39 pm

aMUSEd wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:35 pm
skank wrote:
andypryce wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:09 am
Protools have playlist side bar for midi and audio. Which ı think is great.
And you do not need to drag and drop. As soon as you create/record a midi or audio, it is in the playlist. and you can drag from that list to anywhere on the arrange page.
Is this what you meant?

Any more info on it (especially video would be great, I'd like to be sure it's what I need.

Just to mention again I need to create parts, drag them somewhere, and be able to drag them back at will to any instrument track.
The 'DAW that must not be named' also has something that works similarly (project bay) - as soon as a track has content it appears there and you can drag out into other tracks to create new instances.
Thanks, though TBH I was a little confused. I don't know the DAW in question, but OK I can try looking from that 'project bay reference

Enrize
KVRist
302 posts since 18 Jan, 2017

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:41 pm

skank wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:24 pm
pdxindy wrote:
In Bitwig, you can have the clip launcher open at the same time as arranger. So you could drag clips over to the clip launcher for storage as it were.
Thanks, can those clips be drug to any midi track? For instance drag back the keys chord pard to a pad instrument?
Sure.

skank
KVRist

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:00 pm

andypryce wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:38 pm
skank wrote:
andypryce wrote:
And you do not need to drag and drop. As soon as you create/record a midi or audio, it is in the playlist. and you can drag from that list to anywhere on the arrange page.
Is this what you meant?

Any more info on it (especially video would be great, I'd like to be sure it's what I need.

Just to mention again I need to create parts, drag them somewhere, and be able to drag them back at will to any instrument track.
Yes but one step less.
You do not have to drag midi parts from the arrangement to the playlist. If a midi is on the arrangement it is also on the playlist already. So you can take it from the playlist and drag it back to any instrument at any bar you like

I just captured the screen so no sound but you will get the idea.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wy7l3sf9g2ksg ... d.mov?dl=0

BTW even if you delete it from the arrangement it stays in the playlist.
Thanks, this seems the closest yet.

pdxindy
KVRAF
14770 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:05 pm

skank wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:24 pm
pdxindy wrote:
Sure, you can drag them any track.

aMUSEd
KVRAF
30496 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:43 pm

skank wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:39 pm
aMUSEd wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:35 pm
skank wrote:
andypryce wrote:
Is this what you meant?

The 'DAW that must not be named' also has something that works similarly (project bay) - as soon as a track has content it appears there and you can drag out into other tracks to create new instances.
Thanks, though TBH I was a little confused. I don't know the DAW in question, but OK I can try looking from that 'project bay reference

Sorry just an 'in' joke - I meant Reaper of course

garryknight
KVRian
1131 posts since 6 Jan, 2015 from London, England

Post Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:19 am

skank wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:18 pm
Thanks. So the browser is the panel on the right and I can drag a part from the arranger into it and also drag that same part back k out into the arranger (even on to other midi tracks)?
Yes, the Browser is the panel that opens up on the right when you click Browse or press one of the Function keys from F5 upwards (or just F9 for Files).

You can drag .MID files from the Arranger to a folder in Files and back again as long as you're dragging onto any Instrument (MIDI) track.

Likewise with .wav (or .aif or .mp3) onto an Audio track.

What I said about holding Alt down for some operations: This is for replacing events in the Arranger. Say you have a lot of events that use the file kick17.wav. You can hold down the Alt key and drag, say, kick49.wav from a folder onto one of the kick17 events and all of them throughout the entire Arranger will change to kick49.wav

One trivial thing I got wrong: My scratch folder isn't called Scratch, but Workspace. But there's nothing special about the name; you can call it what you want. Or not use one.

thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
23500 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:48 am

skank wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:46 am
All I want to do is drag and drop a midi part from the arrange window into a side bar where I can drag it back into the arrange window later.

It's a little like session view, but only for arranging parts.

Which DAW/Host can do this? I am even open separate plugins.

8)
Live has a Clips folder in the sidebar for saving clips (from either view). You can drag them in or back out to where you want them. The midi clips remember the assigned instrument, and can be auditioned in the browser.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”