Cherry Audio Voltage modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Voltage Modular Core + Electro Drums Voltage Modular Ignite Voltage Modular Nucleus

lickle_emu wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:55 pm Hello everybody, I have just heard of this software via a thread over on the Bitwig forum and am definitely intrigued.

Would more experienced folk say that Voltage Modular is suitable for people like myself who have no prior experience with modular synthesis, but who are looking to dip their toes?
assuming you know the basic architecture of a synth, modular isn't too difficult, so long as you start small and basic.
connect oscillator to filter to output, make a noise "woohoo!" youre on your way.
adding tone shapers and such to the basic sound creation device, your oscillator :)

once you know your ins from your outs, your golden.
make your basic sound as above, then add modulation and more stages, amp envelope/fx and so on.

to begin with, stick with the basic program alone, don't be tempted by all the extra modules, keep them for when your more able to decide if you need them or not :tu:

depends also what you are expecting from the modular, are you looking to build synths to play like other vsts? if so, modular isn't that exciting imo, theres easier ways to do that ;)
however, if youre looking to add some unusual layers, pads with lots of motion, soundscapes all that kind of thing, then modular will shine :)

yeah, you can do bread and butter :shrug:
but why would you? :hihi:

and if you do decide to go for it, dan himself seems very helpful and id imagine the users will throw a hint or two to help you through :tu:

future-bit wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:37 am Cherry Audio made a revolution in the world of modular synths. This is the most affordable, simple and convenient modular.

I am afraid to imagine what will happen next. Because for several months Cherry Audio did more than other developers.

So that I personally would like - a simple drum sampler. Of course, I can now use any vst, but I would like a module from Cherry.
Stand by. :hihi:

cherryDan wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:31 pm
simmo75 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:24 pm Still note D1 on all my midi controllers does not work with Voltage Modular but works fine in everything else.
Please check the MIDI tab in Voltage Modular and see if you've accidentally mapped D1 to control a performance knob or other parameter. If you did, the D1 key will control that parameter instead of sounding.

- Dan @ Cherry Audio
Thanks Dan!
That was the problem... user error :tu:

wagtunes wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:09 pm
lickle_emu wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:55 pm Hello everybody, I have just heard of this software via a thread over on the Bitwig forum and am definitely intrigued.

Would more experienced folk say that Voltage Modular is suitable for people like myself who have no prior experience with modular synthesis, but who are looking to dip their toes?
Let me put it this way, it is the easiest of all the fully modular synths to program. But if you have no prior experience with modular synthesis, there is going to be a learning curve. There is no way around it. Some of the modules you will look at and have no idea what to do with them. Just take it slow and you'll eventually get there.
Thanks, Wagtunes. I look forward to giving it a test drive and seeing where the journey goes.

Perhaps it´s my old Computer, but the specs are ok.
(Win7x64pro, quad i5, 20 Gb Ram)
When using the plugin host with a synth (TAL Sampler) wired via the soft MIDI cable,
I get some nasty performance cracklings. In Standalone Mode and in Bitwig.
When using VST efx I don´t have any problems or issues.
Every Note produces a big CPU spike and Chords result in heavy distortion @ 256ms.
The average bored guy

I love VM! Great job! The best software modular out there. I do have one feature request. I would love to have mouse wheel support. Thanks.

Roodillon wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:06 am I love VM! Great job! The best software modular out there. I do have one feature request. I would love to have mouse wheel support. Thanks.
I'm not sure what you mean. There is mouse wheel support. What doesn't your mouse do that you want it to do? Mine does everything I need it to do.

bite_me wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:37 pm Perhaps it´s my old Computer, but the specs are ok.
(Win7x64pro, quad i5, 20 Gb Ram)
When using the plugin host with a synth (TAL Sampler) wired via the soft MIDI cable,
I get some nasty performance cracklings. In Standalone Mode and in Bitwig.
When using VST efx I don´t have any problems or issues.
Every Note produces a big CPU spike and Chords result in heavy distortion @ 256ms.
I have experienced the same issue on my test system, win10 i7 8700k 32gb ram, quadro graphics, rme interface 64 samples, did not change the latency on the hosting module within VM, test run inside of Live and Reaper.

you can learn it qucikly, if you start with the basics like oscilators + mixer + filter + amp and combine your gate, pitch and trigger out with adsr envelopes to control the filter and amp according to your midi keyboard. Then you also understand deeper the basic structure of an analog synth. After these basics you can start expermients with other filter, osc or sequencing envelopes etc. If you can handle voltage modular, you also will understand reaktor blocks, which is very difficult for beginners compared to voltage modular, because you have so much more routings and don't see what could be connectet. Chery voltage Modular has the best workflow, but if you need real modular sound, than you could also start with softube modular, the basic set is cheaper and has not so many modules, but you can concentrate more to basic stuff and enhance modules, after you're more advanced.
On the other hand, chery voltage modular has more than 100 modules and can be very confusing beginners

Thank you for taking the time to write this.

As sound quality is very important to me, would you say that Softube Modular rates higher in this regard?

@lickle_emu

You will find copious beginners tutorials for VCV Rack on Youtube. For the basic building blocks of synths you will find you can translate and apply them directly in VM. Just search Youtube for 'VCV beginner' - pretty much everything in the first 20 hits you will be able to use with VM.

You'll be up and running in no time :)

lickle_emu wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:51 am Thank you for taking the time to write this.

As sound quality is very important to me, would you say that Softube Modular rates higher in this regard?
you can try out the demos of each, i think you can't compare these modulars. The softube modular has much bether sound quality and reaches the original modeled hardware racks. If i play the doepfer from a friend, i can't hear any difference in behaviour. But on the other hand the softube modules need a very accurate cpu with a high frequency, because it doesn't support multi core.
The preset browser and workflow are not as good as voltage modular and voltage modular offers much more racks. Voltage modular sounds more than a cheap digital, steril synth compared to softube.
Softube has an equal quality like u-he VA synths.
It's like if you compare quality with quantity, so on voltage you can combine much more modules for crazy stuff and on softube you have also endless posibilities, if you dive deeper in their expansions like 4ms, intellijel and mutable instruments.
If you expand softube with other modules, it can become very expensive, but as a beginner you have enough to explore with the core library.
On voltage modular the core library doesn't offer a real analog sound, the psp and vult expansions sound bether, but can't reach the softube standard.
Both modular systems have their advantages, can't wait to combine them with bitwig 3

sacer wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:36 pm
lickle_emu wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:51 am Thank you for taking the time to write this.

you can try out the demos of each, i think you can't compare these modulars. The softube modular has much bether sound quality and reaches the original modeled hardware racks. If i play the doepfer from a friend, i can't hear any difference in behaviour. But on the other hand the softube modules need a very accurate cpu with a high frequency, because it doesn't support multi core.
The preset browser and workflow are not as good as voltage modular and voltage modular offers much more racks. Voltage modular sounds more than a cheap digital, steril synth compared to softube.
Softube has an equal quality like u-he VA synths.
It's like if you compare quality with quantity, so on voltage you can combine much more modules for crazy stuff and on softube you have also endless posibilities, if you dive deeper in their expansions like 4ms, intellijel and mutable instruments.
If you expand softube with other modules, it can become very expensive, but as a beginner you have enough to explore with the core library.
On voltage modular the core library doesn't offer a real analog sound, the psp and vult expansions sound bether, but can't reach the softube standard.
Both modular systems have their advantages, can't wait to combine them with bitwig 3
+1

I have one request for VM and that is upping the sound quality.

When talking about sound quality are you referring to voltage modulars overall sample rate or specific modules whose coding just isn’t doing it for you?

Personally I wasn’t crazy about the sound coming out of the modules until I ditched the VM filter for the VM20 and vult offerings. I think the super oscillator sounds great and I get excited everytime I load it up.

For this reason I haven’t played around with the polyphonic side as the poly filter and oscillator don’t do much for me. I also find it a bit tedious to set up with the seperate set of polyphonic wiring and limited modules.

I don’t use the VM effects like reverb and delay because I wasn’t wowed by them either but that goes for most built in synth effects. It’s hard to compete with my dedicated effects vsts who have whole companies resources doing development.

Looking forward to any and all offerings from Vult and whatever more modular-y modules that come out perhaps replicating some staples like Maths. I’d like some Roland filter types both mono and polyphonic and some sort of crazy 32 step MSEG module!

Host modules looks AWESOME!! I held off for a bit (bought roland cloud for a year, saved for a Deep mind)

BUT, with Bitwig 3's new modular environment, Deep Mind 12 on the way and host modules....its time to grab Voltage i think!!!!! So excited about the interplay possibilities.

For those that were dubiuos of voltage at first, i hope they have come round now. I think we should give Cherry audio at least a bit of credit for the constant development that has occured recently.
This is going to rock in Bitwig 3....

Return to “Instruments”