DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.1)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

Nice update to the Flexi controller! Thank you!

Nice!!!

Are the A-series of Komplete Kontrol keyboards supported?

To see what these controllers support natively with Ableton Live, please goto https://www.native-instruments.com/file ... t_1218.pdf:

Thanks for all your hard work on this! :)

@Moss

I'm enjoying the new Generic Flexi a lot as it's a huuuuuge step forward (thanks!!!), but if I may I'd like to ask for few more actions added with respect to controling devices:
- toggling visibilit of remotes panel on/off
- toggling visiblity of nested devices for currently selected device
- switching to next/previous device only works on 1st level devices and doesn't work for nested devices: if they're visible next/previous actions should cycle through them too
- moving between devices changes controller focus, but doesn't scroll the chain

Again, huge thanks for working on this!!! :hug: :clap:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Hi Moss,

I'm loving your Push2 implementation and have been using it for over a year now. I'd like to request one teeny tiny enhancement to it, though....

The current REC button on the push only ever toggles the big Rec Arm button up in Bitwig's transport section. I'd really like a setup config option to give us the option of making that REC button *instead* simply toggle "Clip Launcher > Toggle Clip Launcher Overdub" (shortcuts) (or Play > Clip Launcher > Overdub).

Why? To make things more sensible for those of us who primarily record our clips over in the Launcher view. That top Rec Arm button in the transport section does very unwanted things when you're recording into new clips in Launcher view. (Basically, all that button does in Launcher view is transcode everything happening in the Launcher over into the Arranger timeline, which is great when you want to do that but TERRIBLE when you're trying to record a bunch of melody loops or arps or bass riffs, etc. into various clips in the Launcher.)

As it is right now, if I want to rehearse new riffs while I'm playing some backing clips in the Launcher, and then hit one button and start recording immediately at the top of the loop, I can't do it on the Push2. I need TWO buttons on the Push2 right now to toggle Clip Launcher Overdub (Shift + Record). But that means my right hand has to stop playing the rehearsed pattern temporarily, which throws off my groove and timing.

So an option to toggle the behavior of that REC button to suit whether you're recording clips in the Launcher view or over in the Arranger view would be a really sweet enhancement!

Thanks for considering my request!

P.S. In your first response is "why not just press NEW when recording in Launcher view?", the answer is that very often I'll record a full clip in several overdubbing passes. Like, I might record a bassline movement down in the C1 octave range first. Then rehearse some ostinato chord stabs up in the C2 or C3 range and then overdub those into the same clip. And then rehearse some melody/riff/arpeggio up in the C4 or C5 range and then overdub those into the same clip. This is a common technique for coming up with like 10 melodic ideas real fast in a way that also captures the rhythmic pulse of chord changes that would work well with each melody. I do stuff like this all the time in every project and I use those early composition clips as the "seed ideas" for a more fleshed-out arrangement.

Being able to keep my right hand on the pads just looping through my rehearsed riff and simply tap the REC button at the top of the loop is an ideal user workflow for stuff like this. And in Ableton, you could work in exactly this manner in Session view with the Push 2. (One button to effectively toggle clip overdub on/off.)

If the rec button on push toggles clip overdub, how would you toggle the transport rec?

SB-SIX wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:51 am If the rec button on push toggles clip overdub, how would you toggle the transport rec?
The point is that I want an option that very expressly will NOT toggle the transport rec. When I’m working in the Launcher to quickly record many different MIDI clips, I never, ever want to trigger the transport rec. I only want to trigger the clip overdub.

When you are in the Launcher, the transport rec is effectively useless. In fact, it’s far worse than useless, because it will destructively overwrite clips you might already have over in the arranger timeline.

I’m not asking to permanently change the behavior of the REC button on the Push. I’m asking for a user-configurable option to enable us to switch the “mode” of that button to suit whether we are recording clips in Launcher view or recording clips in Arranger view.

We could argue that it’s not Moss’s problem, and that Bitwig should change the current behavior of the transport rec. But I don’t see the Bitwig devs changing their design decision there. So it would be nice to have a user-controlled workaround on the Push.

Ok clear so in session view it should toggle clip overdub, and in arranger view it should toggle transport rec. I can try to make it like this in my fork and compile a version for you so you can play around.

SB-SIX wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:43 pm Ok clear so in session view it should toggle clip overdub, and in arranger view it should toggle transport rec. I can try to make it like this in my fork and compile a version for you so you can play around.
An automatic mode switch like that would work fine too, honestly. If I'm ever at a point where I want to use the transport rec to record what I'm "Playing" realtime in launcher view over into Arranger view, I could always manually click the transport rec in the UI to do that.

That's an incredibly rare use case, though, for me. Usually after I'm done super-looping and setting up scenes in the Launcher view, I simply drag each scene by hand into the Arranger view to create my initial arrangement.

But I'm confused about forks for DrivenByMoss? Moss is very active and constantly updates his controller, so.... why have forks at all? Aren't you always playing catch-up with the latest updates that Moss makes? I mean, I know you can simply keep merging down his latest releases into your branch, but that still means extra integration and bug fixing on top of the enhancements/changes you're making in your branch, doesn't it? Does your branch usually keep pace with Moss's latest branch? He releases new versions at a pretty fast cadence...

Yokai wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:56 pm
SB-SIX wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:43 pm Ok clear so in session view it should toggle clip overdub, and in arranger view it should toggle transport rec. I can try to make it like this in my fork and compile a version for you so you can play around.
An automatic mode switch like that would work fine too, honestly. If I'm ever at a point where I want to use the transport rec to record what I'm "Playing" realtime in launcher view over into Arranger view, I could always manually click the transport rec in the UI to do that.

That's an incredibly rare use case, though, for me. Usually after I'm done super-looping and setting up scenes in the Launcher view, I simply drag each scene by hand into the Arranger view to create my initial arrangement.

But I'm confused about forks for DrivenByMoss? Moss is very active and constantly updates his controller, so.... why have forks at all? Aren't you always playing catch-up with the latest updates that Moss makes? I mean, I know you can simply keep merging down his latest releases into your branch, but that still means extra integration and bug fixing on top of the enhancements/changes you're making in your branch, doesn't it? Does your branch usually keep pace with Moss's latest branch? He releases new versions at a pretty fast cadence...
I made a fork to create a pull request, but moss didn't like it so I'm using my own fork :) My change was to make the top row buttons toggle rec arm instead of having to hold the big rec button down to arm a track. Mainly the same reason, to be able to rec arm with one hand.

Hello,

I have just updated to Bitwig 2.4.3 and I downloaded this script to use with Push 2. I followed the very simple installation instructions but every time now that I add the Push 2 in the controllers pane Bitwig instantly crashes. I have tried numerous options within the controllers pane. I have restarted the computer (Macpbook Pro 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7 running 10.13.6). I have removed the extension and re-downloaded it etc and no matter what I do it ends in a Bitwig crash.

Any thoughts? Thank you in advance for any help on this issue. Best,

Darren

Hi,

As per the above post by Pancycle, I have just bought a Push 2 to replace my Push 1 and again, Bitwig crashes as soon as it detects my Push 2

I have also tried using it with the 2.5 B3 beta of Bitwig and the same this happens.

I installed an older Bitwig extension which I had on a backup drive and it works ok so I think that the problem is the latest extension.

Using a MacBook Pro 2018, os Mojave

Cheers

same here with push 2 moss script vers 5.0 and bitwig 2.4.3 . It crashes . i came back to script vers 4.03

Yokai wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:19 am The current REC button on the push only ever toggles the big Rec Arm button up in Bitwig's transport section. I'd really like a setup config option to give us the option of making that REC button *instead* simply toggle "Clip Launcher > Toggle Clip Launcher Overdub" (shortcuts) (or Play > Clip Launcher > Overdub).
Here you go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bfneno9k9urta ... nsion?dl=0
It works on my push 1, but I believe there is a problem with the current release for push 2 owners so maybe that needs to be fixed first.
In session view, clip overdub is toggled, in arranger view, it behaves like it was. I could add that when pressing shift+rec in session view, it would enable transport rec. This version also has the single-handed rec-arm feature for tracks (first row buttons)

zengel wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:18 am same here with push 2 moss script vers 5.0 and bitwig 2.4.3 . It crashes . i came back to script vers 4.03
Uh, crap, I accidently compiled with Java 11.

Here is the fix: http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Bitw ... s-5.01.zip

Return to “Controller Scripting”