Newbie question on midi tracks

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm checking out different hosts to use with Max and stumbled on Mutools....how do I get each midi tracks to sound simultaneously? I'm sure it's something obvious but I haven't found it yet. :D For example, in Ableton, it's the Ctrl + Arm Session Recording button for each track you want to play/record at once.
Ableton Live 10 / Push

I'd love to help but your question does not make sense to me.

If you like Max you will love the modularity of MuLab. I'd say if modular and unlimited possibilities is what you want, then your search is over. :wink:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

You should be able to set this up by selecting "Midi Input Channel Targets" from the "Projects" menu and then selecting specific target modules and channels rather than the default "Focused Module" and "Focused Channel".

Calum wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:21 pm You should be able to set this up by selecting "Midi Input Channel Targets" from the "Projects" menu and then selecting specific target modules and channels rather than the default "Focused Module" and "Focused Channel".
Ok thanks. :tu: I haven't read the manual yet so that's obviously one issue. :hihi: It's probably something really simple I'm not doing. :D

I also didn't describe what I"m trying to do...I'm triggering the software instruments in MuTools with LoopMIDI....

A quick test by configuring the Input Channel Targets (screenshot) below didn't fix the issue. There was no drop down box to put a Target Channel # in. I don't think it's on the Max side of things but I'm not 100% either. (I attached screenshot of max patch as well). The other DAW's Iv'e played with I select loopMIDI as Input on each track, arm it and I'm ready to roll...but again, I need to RTFM. :P

Also, I do like the sound of their software instruments....MuLab might be a good pairing with Max.

*FWIW, for the Target Channels I did type in and save the number 1 and 2 for each channel. That didn't work though...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ableton Live 10 / Push

If you click on the Focused Channel and move your mouse to the right, you can scroll through the channel numbers (or you can double-click on Focused Channel and key in the channel number), but I just checked and I am not sure that is necessary. With the Midi Input Channel Targets set up exactly as in your screen shot, I can monitor and record multi midi inputs into separate Mulab tracks, simultaneously (each of the midi feeds is assigned a midi channel before it reaches Mulab). I'm afraid I'm out of my depth with how this would work with MAX.

If you click on the Focused Channel and move your mouse to the right, you can scroll through the channel numbers
Oh! :clown: That was easy. :hihi: Thanks.....yeah, I'm still not hearing both tracks. I am going to use something other than Max and see if I get different results. Thanks so much for helping out though. :tu:
Ableton Live 10 / Push

Are you sending on different MIDI Channels from MAX? Can you put a MIDI Monitor just before the MAX MIDI Out to show the MIDI Event stream?

Also, have you set up Mulab's MIDI Inputs to receive from LoopBE? (Mulab -> MIDI Set Up, then make sure the Input Ports include LoopBE. Note that all input ports get merged to a single MIDI Input.)

Yay! When you mentioned about a MIDI Monitor (I'm fairly new to Max) I remember a tutorial that had a small app to tell you what channels were "working". I noticed it showed just midi channel 1 when I added it to the patch. So I googled...etc..and it looks like I have to add more than one noteout object in this case if I want more trigger more than one instrument. I've never had to do that so I learn something today. :lol:

Regardless, it's playing both instruments now and it sounds great too. I'm not even sure if this is the way you are suppose to do it but it's working. Thanks...this is a really nice application, gonna spend some time with it to see how they work together. :tu:

yes, all of the other settings were right beforehand....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ableton Live 10 / Push

Just to make sure.... Are you aware that MuLab ships with the MUX framework? You can use it to build your own synths and effects and route them however you want. I am not sure you need Max at all (thinking that you are new to Max as well).

All synths and effects you see in MuLab were built using this framework.
Go MuLab!

Ha, yes....very new to Max (under 10 weeks or so :D)....as far as the MUX framework and the ability to patch synths, effects, etc?...I wasn't aware of how deep it went but I prefer this easier approach to patching up synths and they sound very nice too!...I may have to ditch Max and go with MuLab/Mux...will need to give it some serious thought, I really like this.
Ableton Live 10 / Push

zklaus wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:43 am Ha, yes....very new to Max (under 10 weeks or so :D)....as far as the MUX framework and the ability to patch synths, effects, etc?...I wasn't aware of how deep it went but I prefer this easier approach to patching up synths and they sound very nice too!...I may have to ditch Max and go with MuLab/Mux...will need to give it some serious thought, I really like this.
:) As you see in the video on Temperance that I published here: viewtopic.php?f=79&t=483718&start=90 it is a very straightforward framework. In fact, you can click the MUX view button on any synth or effect to see how it was made (and to change it if you wish).
Go MuLab!

Nice video! And sweet sounding synth you built there. :tu:
Ableton Live 10 / Push

zklaus wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:40 pm Nice video! And sweet sounding synth you built there. :tu:
Thanks! ...and you can soon create your own and share them with us through MuLub. :wink:
Go MuLab!

Return to “MUTOOLS”