BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (Apple M1 ready, 4K)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BlueARP

https://youtu.be/SByOBJQtohk
First one in the series. Hope you will find it useful. Feedbacks are welcomed :tu:

I think it's great, thank you so much for making this.
It's detailed enough to cover some of the features that are not obvious or self-explanatory, but still not too complicated.

graywolf2004 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:10 am I think it's great, thank you so much for making this.
It's detailed enough to cover some of the features that are not obvious or self-explanatory, but still not too complicated.
Thanks a lot master :) appreciate your encouraging.

Here's part 2 of the series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyDqdmLh9CQ

Merry Christmas & happy new year to all :party:

phreaque wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:14 am https://youtu.be/SByOBJQtohk
First one in the series. Hope you will find it useful. Feedbacks are welcomed :tu:
Great Video! Also the kick drum at the start is thumping! Is that form a specific Sample Pack/CD?

bluedabadee wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:47 am Great Video! Also the kick drum at the start is thumping! Is that form a specific Sample Pack/CD?
Thanks mate, glad you liked it. I make the sample packs along with Spire presets and they are all distributed via Reveal-Sound. Link here.

graywolf2004 wrote: As for scalable GUI - will be hard cause I have lots of pixel-precise elements. So scaling up the picture is the only relatively fast option. Just in case - which resolution do you use? I'm on fullHD 1920x1080 and the current size is large enough.
If I could upvote this feature I'm in.
I'm using big 4k monitor, on which default sized Bluarp is too small. I would need something about 150%.
Since I use Reaper DAW, I'm exploiting its bridging feature. Once vst is bridged and its gui is not embeded into reaper's gui container, BluArp is scaled by Windows OS.
this method however has two weaknesses.
1. BlueArp GUI is slightly blurred (this is how Win10 does that)
2. not embeded Vst GUI causes opening of container window anyway, in addiion this container has a few minor glitches once not filled in by gui.

Various plugin developers went different ways:
- recognizing hidpi awarenes
- providing flexible scalling by stretching a plugin border/corner (then container is aware about this change)
- providing scale selector (ie from 100 to 200% with step of 10)
- providing skins for several sizes

Hope one of those methods is feasible for you to be implemented.

And using this occassion, I would ask for a behavior I recently spotted in Reaper. If playback is stopped, Bluarp plays aprox 6 steps more after I release a key. It makes impossible to restart sequence by pressing a key again.
If Reaper is in play mode (even paused), the plugin breakes sequence being played imediately (as expected).
It does't seem correct. is it the plugin or daw issue?
I'm using most recent version of both

with regards

Very versatile plugin and the best free arpeggiator/sequencer out there,congrats!.The only feature that i miss is to divide the speed per step,e.g if the main speed is 1/16,to be able to change the speed of a step to 1/32.I hope we see an update in the future with this included :) Keep up the hard work!

phreaque wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:56 am
graywolf2004 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:10 am I think it's great, thank you so much for making this.
Thanks a lot master :) appreciate your encouraging.

Here's part 2 of the series:
Thank you for your work. You even covered some things that are not described in the manual )

maxym.srpl wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:11 pm And using this occassion, I would ask for a behavior I recently spotted in Reaper. If playback is stopped, Bluarp plays aprox 6 steps more after I release a key. It makes impossible to restart sequence by pressing a key again.
If Reaper is in play mode (even paused), the plugin breakes sequence being played imediately (as expected).
with regards
Depends on setting "restart on" (beat or key). When restart on = beat and host is stopped, as soon as you press a key bluearp starts it's "fake beat clock" to mimic host playing. When you release all keys, it stops the clock after a while (around 1 sec). I think this is 6 extra steps you are talking about. When host is playing, bluearp's step is hardwired to host song position.
When restart on = key, it should restart the sequence immediately on new key pressed and stop immediately when all keys are released. Does it follow this logic?

graywolf2004 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:48 am Thank you for your work. You even covered some things that are not described in the manual )
My pleasure :) hope that would help users

graywolf2004 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:55 am
maxym.srpl wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:11 pm And using this occassion, I would ask for a behavior I recently spotted in Reaper. If playback is stopped, Bluarp plays aprox 6 steps more after I release a key. It makes impossible to restart sequence by pressing a key again.
with regards
Depends on setting "restart on" (beat or key). When restart on = beat and host is stopped, as soon as you press a key bluearp starts it's "fake beat clock" to mimic host playing. When you release all keys, it stops the clock after a while (around 1 sec). I think this is 6 extra steps you are talking about. When host is playing, bluearp's step is hardwired to host song position.
When restart on = key, it should restart the sequence immediately on new key pressed and stop immediately when all keys are released. Does it follow this logic?
Yeah, I forgot to mention the obvious: behavior reported by me takes place regardless chosen "restart on" mode. even if I chose "key" or "1st key" it releases with some delay if DAW is in stop mode.
I'll do some more tests incl emty project or different methods of bridging the plugin.
It looks like a bug, but it might comes from DAW too.
I noticed the issue recently. I'm sure it behaved correctly in the past. But both the plugin and Reaper have beed updated multiple times since then.

If already not said so, BlueArp is fantastic piece of software. Thank you.

MXM

I can confirm it happens in empty project, regardless it is running in native or bridging mode.
Reaper v5.965 - December 19 2018
BlueArp 64bit v2.2.7

Maybe it's something in Reaper settings but I don't know what to check out.

Same here in Logic Pro X 10.4.4, BlueArp 64bit v2.2.7.
When Logic is not playing: independently of the setting "restart on" you have to wait one second after releasing the last key until you can restart the arp. pattern from the beginning. Otherwise the pattern is picked up from current step indicated by the LEDs below the matrix editor.

maxym.srpl, ulit
ulit wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:21 pm Same here in Logic Pro X 10.4.4, BlueArp 64bit v2.2.7.
When Logic is not playing: independently of the setting "restart on" you have to wait one second after releasing the last key until you can restart the arp. pattern from the beginning. Otherwise the pattern is picked up from current step indicated by the LEDs below the matrix editor.
I think it's fixed in v2.2.8, I will likely upload ot few hours later (it I don't find any critical bugs).
I think at some point I messed up my initial ligic a little bit. The fix was simple.
BlueARP should restart the sequencer immedialtelly in "restart on = key" mode, whether your host is playing or not. It will work only if you release all the keys first and then press new one. If you play legato, it will keep advancing the steps until you release all the keys.
With "restart on = 1st key or beat" I kept this logic with 1 extra second of sequencer running, because it better mimics how it works when host is playing.

Update: BlueARP v2.2.8 (Windows, OSX)
http://graywolf2004.net/wp/?page_id=35

Main changes:
1. Likely fixed bug mentioned before with restart=key
2. Added names for program chains
3. Did a lot of fine tuning with the core engine
4. "Next chain" setting for program chains - finally tested and works as expected

Return to “Instruments”