BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (OSX MIDI-FX is out)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
phreaque
KVRian
794 posts since 17 Jul, 2007 from Baghdad-Iq

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:14 pm

https://youtu.be/SByOBJQtohk
First one in the series. Hope you will find it useful. Feedbacks are welcomed :tu:
Phreaque Modi

User avatar
graywolf2004
KVRist
485 posts since 15 Apr, 2012 from Moscow, Russia

Re: BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (OSX MIDI-FX is out)

Post Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:10 am

I think it's great, thank you so much for making this.
It's detailed enough to cover some of the features that are not obvious or self-explanatory, but still not too complicated.

User avatar
phreaque
KVRian
794 posts since 17 Jul, 2007 from Baghdad-Iq

Re: BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (OSX MIDI-FX is out)

Post Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:56 pm

graywolf2004 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:10 am
I think it's great, thank you so much for making this.
It's detailed enough to cover some of the features that are not obvious or self-explanatory, but still not too complicated.
Thanks a lot master :) appreciate your encouraging.

Here's part 2 of the series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyDqdmLh9CQ

Merry Christmas & happy new year to all :party:
Phreaque Modi

bluedabadee
KVRer
1 posts since 1 Jan, 2019

Re: BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (OSX MIDI-FX is out)

Post Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:47 pm

phreaque wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:14 pm
https://youtu.be/SByOBJQtohk
First one in the series. Hope you will find it useful. Feedbacks are welcomed :tu:
Great Video! Also the kick drum at the start is thumping! Is that form a specific Sample Pack/CD?

User avatar
phreaque
KVRian
794 posts since 17 Jul, 2007 from Baghdad-Iq

Re: BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (OSX MIDI-FX is out)

Post Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:53 am

bluedabadee wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:47 pm
Great Video! Also the kick drum at the start is thumping! Is that form a specific Sample Pack/CD?
Thanks mate, glad you liked it. I make the sample packs along with Spire presets and they are all distributed via Reveal-Sound. Link here.
Phreaque Modi

maxym.srpl
KVRer
7 posts since 16 Jul, 2018

Re: BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (OSX MIDI-FX is out)

Post Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:11 pm

graywolf2004 wrote: As for scalable GUI - will be hard cause I have lots of pixel-precise elements. So scaling up the picture is the only relatively fast option. Just in case - which resolution do you use? I'm on fullHD 1920x1080 and the current size is large enough.
If I could upvote this feature I'm in.
I'm using big 4k monitor, on which default sized Bluarp is too small. I would need something about 150%.
Since I use Reaper DAW, I'm exploiting its bridging feature. Once vst is bridged and its gui is not embeded into reaper's gui container, BluArp is scaled by Windows OS.
this method however has two weaknesses.
1. BlueArp GUI is slightly blurred (this is how Win10 does that)
2. not embeded Vst GUI causes opening of container window anyway, in addiion this container has a few minor glitches once not filled in by gui.

Various plugin developers went different ways:
- recognizing hidpi awarenes
- providing flexible scalling by stretching a plugin border/corner (then container is aware about this change)
- providing scale selector (ie from 100 to 200% with step of 10)
- providing skins for several sizes

Hope one of those methods is feasible for you to be implemented.

And using this occassion, I would ask for a behavior I recently spotted in Reaper. If playback is stopped, Bluarp plays aprox 6 steps more after I release a key. It makes impossible to restart sequence by pressing a key again.
If Reaper is in play mode (even paused), the plugin breakes sequence being played imediately (as expected).
It does't seem correct. is it the plugin or daw issue?
I'm using most recent version of both

with regards

Organoid
KVRer
2 posts since 2 Feb, 2018

Re: BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (OSX MIDI-FX is out)

Post Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:27 am

Very versatile plugin and the best free arpeggiator/sequencer out there,congrats!.The only feature that i miss is to divide the speed per step,e.g if the main speed is 1/16,to be able to change the speed of a step to 1/32.I hope we see an update in the future with this included :) Keep up the hard work!

User avatar
graywolf2004
KVRist
485 posts since 15 Apr, 2012 from Moscow, Russia

Re: BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (OSX MIDI-FX is out)

Post Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:48 pm

phreaque wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:56 pm
graywolf2004 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:10 am
I think it's great, thank you so much for making this.
It's detailed enough to cover some of the features that are not obvious or self-explanatory, but still not too complicated.
Thanks a lot master :) appreciate your encouraging.

Here's part 2 of the series:
Thank you for your work. You even covered some things that are not described in the manual )

User avatar
graywolf2004
KVRist
485 posts since 15 Apr, 2012 from Moscow, Russia

Re: BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (OSX MIDI-FX is out)

Post Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:55 pm

maxym.srpl wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:11 pm
And using this occassion, I would ask for a behavior I recently spotted in Reaper. If playback is stopped, Bluarp plays aprox 6 steps more after I release a key. It makes impossible to restart sequence by pressing a key again.
If Reaper is in play mode (even paused), the plugin breakes sequence being played imediately (as expected).
It does't seem correct. is it the plugin or daw issue?
I'm using most recent version of both
with regards
Depends on setting "restart on" (beat or key). When restart on = beat and host is stopped, as soon as you press a key bluearp starts it's "fake beat clock" to mimic host playing. When you release all keys, it stops the clock after a while (around 1 sec). I think this is 6 extra steps you are talking about. When host is playing, bluearp's step is hardwired to host song position.
When restart on = key, it should restart the sequence immediately on new key pressed and stop immediately when all keys are released. Does it follow this logic?

User avatar
phreaque
KVRian
794 posts since 17 Jul, 2007 from Baghdad-Iq

Re: BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (OSX MIDI-FX is out)

Post Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:43 am

graywolf2004 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:48 pm
Thank you for your work. You even covered some things that are not described in the manual )
My pleasure :) hope that would help users
Phreaque Modi

maxym.srpl
KVRer
7 posts since 16 Jul, 2018

Re: BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (OSX MIDI-FX is out)

Post Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:17 am

graywolf2004 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:55 pm
maxym.srpl wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:11 pm
And using this occassion, I would ask for a behavior I recently spotted in Reaper. If playback is stopped, Bluarp plays aprox 6 steps more after I release a key. It makes impossible to restart sequence by pressing a key again.
If Reaper is in play mode (even paused), the plugin breakes sequence being played imediately (as expected).
It does't seem correct. is it the plugin or daw issue?
I'm using most recent version of both
with regards
Depends on setting "restart on" (beat or key). When restart on = beat and host is stopped, as soon as you press a key bluearp starts it's "fake beat clock" to mimic host playing. When you release all keys, it stops the clock after a while (around 1 sec). I think this is 6 extra steps you are talking about. When host is playing, bluearp's step is hardwired to host song position.
When restart on = key, it should restart the sequence immediately on new key pressed and stop immediately when all keys are released. Does it follow this logic?
Yeah, I forgot to mention the obvious: behavior reported by me takes place regardless chosen "restart on" mode. even if I chose "key" or "1st key" it releases with some delay if DAW is in stop mode.
I'll do some more tests incl emty project or different methods of bridging the plugin.
It looks like a bug, but it might comes from DAW too.
I noticed the issue recently. I'm sure it behaved correctly in the past. But both the plugin and Reaper have beed updated multiple times since then.

If already not said so, BlueArp is fantastic piece of software. Thank you.

MXM

maxym.srpl
KVRer
7 posts since 16 Jul, 2018

Re: BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (OSX MIDI-FX is out)

Post Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:51 am

I can confirm it happens in empty project, regardless it is running in native or bridging mode.
Reaper v5.965 - December 19 2018
BlueArp 64bit v2.2.7

Maybe it's something in Reaper settings but I don't know what to check out.

ulit
KVRer
3 posts since 21 Dec, 2017

Re: BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (OSX MIDI-FX is out)

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:21 pm

Same here in Logic Pro X 10.4.4, BlueArp 64bit v2.2.7.
When Logic is not playing: independently of the setting "restart on" you have to wait one second after releasing the last key until you can restart the arp. pattern from the beginning. Otherwise the pattern is picked up from current step indicated by the LEDs below the matrix editor.

User avatar
graywolf2004
KVRist
485 posts since 15 Apr, 2012 from Moscow, Russia

Re: BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (OSX MIDI-FX is out)

Post Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:53 am

maxym.srpl, ulit
ulit wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:21 pm
Same here in Logic Pro X 10.4.4, BlueArp 64bit v2.2.7.
When Logic is not playing: independently of the setting "restart on" you have to wait one second after releasing the last key until you can restart the arp. pattern from the beginning. Otherwise the pattern is picked up from current step indicated by the LEDs below the matrix editor.
I think it's fixed in v2.2.8, I will likely upload ot few hours later (it I don't find any critical bugs).
I think at some point I messed up my initial ligic a little bit. The fix was simple.
BlueARP should restart the sequencer immedialtelly in "restart on = key" mode, whether your host is playing or not. It will work only if you release all the keys first and then press new one. If you play legato, it will keep advancing the steps until you release all the keys.
With "restart on = 1st key or beat" I kept this logic with 1 extra second of sequencer running, because it better mimics how it works when host is playing.

User avatar
graywolf2004
KVRist
485 posts since 15 Apr, 2012 from Moscow, Russia

Re: BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (OSX MIDI-FX is out)

Post Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:15 pm

Update: BlueARP v2.2.8 (Windows, OSX)
http://graywolf2004.net/wp/?page_id=35

Main changes:
1. Likely fixed bug mentioned before with restart=key
2. Added names for program chains
3. Did a lot of fine tuning with the core engine
4. "Next chain" setting for program chains - finally tested and works as expected

Return to “Instruments”