Cytomic "The Scream" stomp box distortion plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Scream

bmanic wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:57 am
Architeuthis wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:38 am quality > quantity
Very true.. but it's the most common excuse for a perfectionist and a common curse. Having said that, there usually is a correlation but not always.
Originally I spent a bunch of time automating the solving of circuits to handle all the filters I wanted to do in The Drop. I hacked them together to start with, I was interested in the outcome more than making the tools elegant and extendable, and eventually grew out of them. The last 8 months or so was re-visiting them and doing them properly, which I've now done!

So I am guilty in being a bit of a perfectionist in some respects, but I can still compromise to get something finished, and then re-visit it later. In fact I view The Glue a bit like that, that was the best I could do at the time, and I made some good compromises, and got a good result, but I know I can do better - the same quality with lower cpu, and a new higher quality mode. In fact that's perhaps my issue, I keep on re-doing things! I re-did the GUI for The Glue, re-did the entire interface for The Drop, I re-did my internal solver, and am going to re-do the DSP for The Glue, I'm stuck in groundhog day making incremental improvements to things :dog:

:tu:
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

Call it The Glue 2.0. Boom. New product.

andy-cytomic wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:13 pm
bmanic wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:57 am
Architeuthis wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:38 am quality > quantity
Very true.. but it's the most common excuse for a perfectionist and a common curse. Having said that, there usually is a correlation but not always.
Originally I spent a bunch of time automating the solving of circuits to handle all the filters I wanted to do in The Drop. I hacked them together to start with, I was interested in the outcome more than making the tools elegant and extendable, and eventually grew out of them. The last 8 months or so was re-visiting them and doing them properly, which I've now done!

So I am guilty in being a bit of a perfectionist in some respects, but I can still compromise to get something finished, and then re-visit it later. In fact I view The Glue a bit like that, that was the best I could do at the time, and I made some good compromises, and got a good result, but I know I can do better - the same quality with lower cpu, and a new higher quality mode. In fact that's perhaps my issue, I keep on re-doing things! I re-did the GUI for The Glue, re-did the entire interface for The Drop, I re-did my internal solver, and am going to re-do the DSP for The Glue, I'm stuck in groundhog day making incremental improvements to things :dog:

:tu:
My reply to Architeuthis was kind of my own internal dialogue as it really hit home. I have the perfectionism trait (also sometimes called stubbornness) and I can clearly see how important it is to remind oneself sometimes that quantity doesn't equal quality or rather that one doesn't necessarily negate the other. I do a lot of things all the time, yet I feel like I get nothing really done and I'm definitely never ever completely happy with the end results as they could always be better. :hihi:

So yeah, I've learned to kind of recognize the patterns in people that "suffer" from the same personality trait.

I'd never trade my quirk for the opposite extreme though. :)

Cheers!
bM
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:57 pm
My reply to Architeuthis was kind of my own internal dialogue as it really hit home. I have the perfectionism trait (also sometimes called stubbornness) and I can clearly see how important it is to remind oneself sometimes that quantity doesn't equal quality or rather that one doesn't necessarily negate the other. I do a lot of things all the time, yet I feel like I get nothing really done and I'm definitely never ever completely happy with the end results as they could always be better. :hihi:

So yeah, I've learned to kind of recognize the patterns in people that "suffer" from the same personality trait.

I'd never trade my quirk for the opposite extreme though. :)

Cheers!
bM
I agree that being able to spend large amounts of focussed time on one task is a useful skill, and pretty essential in lots of areas, and something I would not change about myself either!

For me it's very important to constantly be mindful of the big picture goals, and not waste time on fine details too early on, the time for those is near the end of a project, not at the start!

In terms of creativity in general (not really DSP and programming as much), I really love the first show in the Netflix series Abstract, which is on the illustrator Christoph Niemann. He talks about the creative process and how it's impossible to come up with creative ideas on demand, and how he never came up with anything groundbreaking on a deadline. The best you can ever do is give your ideas the opportunity to come by making the conditions right, and then put in solid hours trying things out.

This reminds me of the analogy of a growing a flower. You can't just reach your hand into the ground and pull one out. You have to create the conditions for it to happen, and then be patient and give it time. You prepare the soil in a place that will receive the right amount of light, plant the seed at the right depth, and water it consistently. One day it will hopefully pop through and start to flourish, but only if it is given enough time with the right conditions.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:54 pm Call it The Glue 2.0. Boom. New product.
:tu: :phones:

If I buy Glue now do I get the update? All I need to know

andy-cytomic wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:10 am
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:54 pm Call it The Glue 2.0. Boom. New product.
:tu: :phones:
The SuperGlue :party:

Merely posting here so i can follow cytomic goins on.

nrosko wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:27 pm Merely posting here so i can follow cytomic goins on.
Clearly of course you can do that.
But just letting you know this newer kvr forum allows subscribing or bookmarking without having to actually post something.

rsp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sound sculptist

Ah cheers, that's helpful.

nrosko wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:28 pm Ah cheers, that's helpful.
just a heads up... to access the bookmarked threads you have to go to User Control Panel -> Manage Bookmarks.

they sorta get buried in not the most obvious place.

i still find posting in a topic the easiest way to follow it. :shrug:

You just subscribe to the thread - you've always been able to do that.
No need to post, and you get your notifications however you set up in your forum settings.

Look down at the bottom of this page - by the wrench.
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

:D Acousticglue wants a free The Glue since its name was stolen from the hence mentioned moniker

acousticglue wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:43 am If I buy Glue now do I get the update? All I need to know

Yes, all updates are free (and sorry I missed this post earlier).

Hi

Is it possible to have an asymmetrical distortion mod for The Scream ? I don't have any knowledge programming wise...

thanks

Return to “Effects”