Feature(s) which keep MuLab from being your primary DAW?

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For those who use a variety of DAWs I'm wondering what keeps you from using MU as your primary DAW?
I'm stoked about almost everything MuLab can do (I especially love its clean sound) but there's one item which keeps me composing more with FL Studio and Tracktion over MU and that has to do with Racks. Sometimes I want a sound to only be 50% affected by an effect. In those other DAWs - in the effects / mixer strip - one can control how much of a signal goes through an effect. You can adjust the amount via a knob next to the effect in a FL mixer strip or in the Plugin Rack dialog box in Tracktion. The only way to do that now in MU is to use a Send to a completely different Rack which houses the effect -- not very efficient.

So, out of curiosity, I wonder what others see as their main issue in using other DAWs over MU.
"Music is directly tied to the technology of a culture."
"Modular gear is the craft beer of music."

I've dropped other DAWs and now just use MuLab because its design helps me stay in my creative zone. I don't want to lose that experience, just to have another feature (that I can often make in MuLab).
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

I really Like Mulab for creation using midi input or the piano roll. It is by far the most fun of anything I have used. But for audio or mixing There are features that steer me elsewhere.

Having to calculate and offset tracks manually for PDC is cumbersome.
No VST3. not a huge deal but there are compressors that I use that require vst3 in order to use the sidechain.
The take system for audio recording is not fluid for me. This is mainly due to having used Reaper for years and have settled into that workflow. Mulab may very well be able to accomplish the exact same thing I just haven taken the time to figure it out.

As stated in many other threads.......There is no need to use only one DAW if you can have the beast of all worlds.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

sdv wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:38 am Sometimes I want a sound to only be 50% affected by an effect. In those other DAWs - in the effects / mixer strip - one can control how much of a signal goes through an effect. You can adjust the amount via a knob next to the effect in a FL mixer strip or in the Plugin Rack dialog box in Tracktion. The only way to do that now in MU is to use a Send to a completely different Rack which houses the effect -- not very efficient.
You could also setup a MUX patch instead of creating a new rack with a send. Cleaner mixing desk while providing same functionality.
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

Here's a Rack with insert balance:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mn1sY ... oPSXcDxJV6

@sdv - is that the kind of thing you meant?
Last edited by pljones on Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pljones wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:51 pm Here's a Rack with insert balance:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mn1sY ... oPSXcDxJV6

@sdv - is that the kind of thing you meant?
I tried to download the plug but keep getting an "Could not load preset file." I'm using MuLab 7.7.4.

That MUX preset was saved with the M8 test version, which is not yet publicly available.

Oops! Sorry, I'll do it again.

mutools wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:04 am That MUX preset was saved with the M8 test version, which is not yet publicly available.
Awwww, shuckey-duckey!

OK, I think (Google-willing) the link should now get a V7 version of the plug-in.

pljones wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:13 pm OK, I think (Google-willing) the link should now get a V7 version of the plug-in.
Thanks for putting this together! It pretty much works the way I want -- I switched the balance knobs to after the effect and it's close to what I'm looking for. Don't know why I didn't think of it as it's a pretty simple solution. Another win for MUX! One step closer to using MuLab full-time.

Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:06 pm The take system for audio recording is not fluid for me. This is mainly due to having used Reaper for years and have settled into that workflow.
With MuLab one can record takes directly into the composer but it's a bit cumbersome and requires some configuration. Many times I'm just creating stems in MuLab and then I have to open the take in a third party editor (usually Audacity) so that I can save the audio as its own file. I've gotten lazy with FL Studio as one can just drop a recorder (Edison plug-in) in an effect slot on any track and start recording directly into it and then save the stem or drop the take in the composer.

But, wait! What I discovered is that when I make an audio recording inside MuLab the program automatically saves that recording in a separate project folder. How is it that I'm just now noticing this? Makes my life much easier!
Last edited by sdv on Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I would consider Mulab/Reaper my Main Daw. They are the perfect comlement to each other. Justin wanted a better way to record his band. Jo wanted a better Midi Sequencer.
One day I will reconfigure the mouse modifoers so that that do the same thing in both. The Rewire option is cool but I usually just render stems and import. If I had 2 monitors I would be in heaven.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

I seem to have *a lot* of problems with multiple projects being open at the same time. Tracks from different projects just randomly start playing to the beat of their own drummer.

Return to “MUTOOLS”