Cherry Audio Voltage modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Voltage Modular Core + Electro Drums Voltage Modular Ignite Voltage Modular Nucleus

lnikj wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:57 am @lickle_emu

You will find copious beginners tutorials for VCV Rack on Youtube. For the basic building blocks of synths you will find you can translate and apply them directly in VM. Just search Youtube for 'VCV beginner' - pretty much everything in the first 20 hits you will be able to use with VM.

You'll be up and running in no time :)
Thank you! This is much appreciated :)

sacer wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:36 pm
lickle_emu wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:51 am Thank you for taking the time to write this.

As sound quality is very important to me, would you say that Softube Modular rates higher in this regard?
you can try out the demos of each, i think you can't compare these modulars. The softube modular has much bether sound quality and reaches the original modeled hardware racks. If i play the doepfer from a friend, i can't hear any difference in behaviour. But on the other hand the softube modules need a very accurate cpu with a high frequency, because it doesn't support multi core.
The preset browser and workflow are not as good as voltage modular and voltage modular offers much more racks. Voltage modular sounds more than a cheap digital, steril synth compared to softube.
Softube has an equal quality like u-he VA synths.
It's like if you compare quality with quantity, so on voltage you can combine much more modules for crazy stuff and on softube you have also endless posibilities, if you dive deeper in their expansions like 4ms, intellijel and mutable instruments.
If you expand softube with other modules, it can become very expensive, but as a beginner you have enough to explore with the core library.
On voltage modular the core library doesn't offer a real analog sound, the psp and vult expansions sound bether, but can't reach the softube standard.
Both modular systems have their advantages, can't wait to combine them with bitwig 3
Thanks again for your thoughtful and detailed reply. It is much appreciated.

Perhaps I am getting ahead of myself with all this thought as to which one sounds better, as I will obviously need to demo both for myself when I have a spare afternoon.

Softube had registered on my radar before, but I recall reading others say that it can get expensive quickly, which pretty much ended my investigation.

As a fellow Bitwig user, how can you see this incorporating in your workflow? Isn't Bitwig 3 essentially going to offer the same thing here?

lickle_emu wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:20 pm As a fellow Bitwig user, how can you see this incorporating in your workflow? Isn't Bitwig 3 essentially going to offer the same thing here?
The coming Bitwig stuff looks incredible, but it won't have that Eurorack look and feel that is so enjoyable to patch. It looks more like Audulus, Oscillot in Max for Live or Beap in Max. That's not to say it won't be great and I'll probably start using Bitwig when it comes out.

sacer wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:38 am voltage Modular has the best workflow, but if you need real modular sound, than you could also start with softube modular, the basic set is cheaper and has not so many modules, but you can concentrate more to basic stuff and enhance modules, after you're more advanced.
On the other hand, chery voltage modular has more than 100 modules and can be very confusing beginners
What kind of advice is this? He would be spending money on something that will limit him severely for the future, just for the sake of starting small? And then what? Would he throw that away, and buy Voltage Modular then? Or buy new modules for SM (the very few that are available), at a price of around $50 EACH? He can start small with Voltage Modular too. What does more can certainly do less.

To stick to the basics he will just have to concentrate on the basics. When he wants to grow, he has all the potential already at his disposal.
Fernando (FMR)

The Voltage modular Ignite starter package is 50 bucks.
https://store.cherryaudio.com/bundles/v ... lar-ignite

Dillinger wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:30 am
bite_me wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:37 pm Perhaps it´s my old Computer, but the specs are ok.
(Win7x64pro, quad i5, 20 Gb Ram)
When using the plugin host with a synth (TAL Sampler) wired via the soft MIDI cable,
I get some nasty performance cracklings. In Standalone Mode and in Bitwig.
When using VST efx I don´t have any problems or issues.
Every Note produces a big CPU spike and Chords result in heavy distortion @ 256ms.
I have experienced the same issue on my test system, win10 i7 8700k 32gb ram, quadro graphics, rme interface 64 samples, did not change the latency on the hosting module within VM, test run inside of Live and Reaper.
:tu:

RME (UC) here as Audiointerface, too.
The average bored guy

Hi all.

For those who were asking about learning how to use Voltage Modular (or modulars in general), we have a pretty thorough general user guide here:

https://docs.cherryaudio.com/voltage-modular-user-guide

... and quick vid that demonstrates setting up VM:

https://youtu.be/RhtujoppHwg

Of course folks are entitled to their opinion, but we've made a tremendous effort to make VM the easiest to use virtual modular on the market. It seems like misleading advice to recommend that new users learn on a harder-to-operate platform.

thx for the doc :) !!!

Okay, can somebody explain to me what's going on?

I just opened up my DAW and loaded Voltage Modular and I get a screen to login. I do and nothing is there. Everything is now downloading (142 modules) as if it's for the first time.

What is causing this? Is it because I downloaded and installed the latest update? And if so, am I going to have to do this every time there is an update?

wagtunes wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:03 pm Okay, can somebody explain to me what's going on?

I just opened up my DAW and loaded Voltage Modular and I get a screen to login. I do and nothing is there. Everything is now downloading (142 modules) as if it's for the first time.

What is causing this? Is it because I downloaded and installed the latest update? And if so, am I going to have to do this every time there is an update?
It's the newest update. It's mentioned somewhere that it would happen with this particular update. I read it earlier today.

Weren't you on V.1.2.1 already ?

Is there a new one?!

Some modules (sometimes many) are updated as well, though getting them *ALL* updated is strange.
Last edited by Koshdukai on Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Koshdukai wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:35 am Weren't you on V.1.2.1 already ?

Is there a new one?!
I downloaded it but never actually used it since updating. Today was the first day I opened the plugin.

wagtunes wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:36 am
Koshdukai wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:35 am Weren't you on V.1.2.1 already ?

Is there a new one?!
I downloaded it but never actually used it since updating. Today was the first day I opened the plugin.
AH! That explains it then. So... you're finally using "the latest" of everything you paid for :)

Speaking of "latest"...

Just started dabbling with VM Designer a bit more seriously.
Needed a simple stereo mixer with INs at the bottom and OUTs at the top, so I made one.

While testing, I just realized that there's no plug size restrictions, which is kinda weird'n'odd to me.
Then, I realized that the MIDI plug already has at least 2 sizes being used, which, again, gives an odd look to the rack.

I'm used to Reason's standard plug sizes, so this is uncharted territory to me and... it feels weird :P

fmr wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:12 pm
sacer wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:38 am voltage Modular has the best workflow, but if you need real modular sound, than you could also start with softube modular, the basic set is cheaper and has not so many modules, but you can concentrate more to basic stuff and enhance modules, after you're more advanced.
On the other hand, chery voltage modular has more than 100 modules and can be very confusing beginners
What kind of advice is this? He would be spending money on something that will limit him severely for the future, just for the sake of starting small? And then what? Would he throw that away, and buy Voltage Modular then? Or buy new modules for SM (the very few that are available), at a price of around $50 EACH? He can start small with Voltage Modular too. What does more can certainly do less.

To stick to the basics he will just have to concentrate on the basics. When he wants to grow, he has all the potential already at his disposal.

The sound quality of voltage moudular can also limit, the amount of modules is not everything to consider. The softube basic system offers a lot of possibilities. If he gets more advanced and familiar he can add a new modules on sale for $20 - $30.
I have softube modular and i am very happy with it. My friend has a real modular with doepfer and mutable intruments modules and i can't hear a difference, but for me it is more comfortabe without real cables.
If i play with voltage modular the sound doesn't give me same feeling like on real eurorack, the sound has nothing special. So I feel more limited with 100 VM modules compared to 30 SM modules, that's why he should demo both.

Return to “Instruments”