Sonic Academy new synth!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ANA ANA 2 The Earth & Moon Expansion

gummo wrote:I tried ANA2 well recently.
Small fonts are hard for my eyes, but browsers and designs are wonderful.

Do you plan to add Unison function to the sampler?
It is an easy and very favorite trick for CPU saving. :)
I'll second that.
Not sure if someone mentioned, but internal resampling would be awesome.

gummo wrote:I tried ANA2 well recently.
Small fonts are hard for my eyes, but browsers and designs are wonderful.
I agree about the fonts. For a synth with quite a large GUI, the fonts are way too small sometimes, even fonts that are actually a button that do something, the click area and the font itself are just tiny compared to the overall GUI size. I find it kind of unpleasant. I also don’t like it when the button to open a tab or new screen is in a different spot than the button to close that screen/tab, which happens a lot with ANA 2.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:I also don’t like it when the button to open a tab or new screen is in a different spot than the button to close that screen/tab, which happens a lot with ANA 2.
I agree. I suggested a simple right click (even if reduced to the header area ) to close various popups instead of searching the [X] in the upper-right corner.

sircuit wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:I also don’t like it when the button to open a tab or new screen is in a different spot than the button to close that screen/tab, which happens a lot with ANA 2.
I agree. I suggested a simple right click (even if reduced to the header area ) to close various popups instead of searching the [X] in the upper-right corner.
I'll second that. It's much more natural to click the same place you've clicked to make the tab appear.

Bug or feature? When assigning an LFO to Filter Envelope sustain.

Based on what I hear, if an LFO is modulating the sustain slider, the value is not updated in real time. When a key is pressed, the synth is taking a "snapshot" of the envelope parameters and until the key is released nothing is being changed. Although manually I can change the sustain and hear the effect, via LFO modulation, the result is a random sustain value with each key press (it basically coresponds to LFO's position at the moment of key being pressed).

Same when attemtping to modulate the Mod Env's sustain.

And an option for LFO smoothing would make sense to implement that is, if any development is still happening for this synth.

sircuit wrote:Bug or feature? When assigning an LFO to Filter Envelope sustain.

Based on what I hear, if an LFO is modulating the sustain slider, the value is not updated in real time. When a key is pressed, the synth is taking a "snapshot" of the envelope parameters and until the key is released nothing is being changed. Although manually I can change the sustain and hear the effect, via LFO modulation, the result is a random sustain value with each key press (it basically coresponds to LFO's position at the moment of key being pressed).

Same when attemtping to modulate the Mod Env's sustain.
I've also noticed that today. Just when I was to make something cool. :(
sircuit wrote: if any development is still happening for this synth.
:-|

I've got another question:
How to update to newer version? I tried to install 2.081 on 2.04, but nothing changed, 2.04 is still sitting in my DAW. Do I have to uninstall it first?

Normally it overwrites. Anyway, on windows delete the dll from program files and program files x86 then install the new update. On mac, delete the component and vst then install the update. If you use reaper with custom plugin paths, check all the paths for traces of the plugin - recently someone was having a similat problem, the update was overwriting correctly the opd files at default locations but he was having a custom folder with an old version and reaper was always loading that.

Thanks, it worked. Just removed dll from custom vst location and everything went fine.

One more thing I've noticed - when saving preset with custom waveform from added custom folder, ANA2 asks me if I 'want to copy external samples to the user folder', but nothing gets copied. Then, when I use the same waveform again, it asks again.
It would be very convenient if it would save waveform and don't ask again.
When waveform is already copied by hand into one of premade folders for user's waves, there is no more copy message.

you seem to have problems with what's called "permissions". (installer unable to overwrite files, now ana unable to write folders). if running daw as administrator doesnt work, you must identify all ana folders and google how to get ownership of a folder and do it manually

With reinstall/update version, this is not the case with my other plugins. They always overwrite.

Tried running Reaper as admin or granting all permissions to user for whole content directory. Still no waveform is getting copied. Maybe I didn't set something right yet, but I'd rather know if somebody could or couldn't reproduce similar behavior on Windows (8).

I feel not a lot of people talk about this synth on KvR but I find it incredible! Great sound, very easy to program, and quite deep. And right now, all just for $100. I have Serum and Avenger, but think I'll be using Ana 2 quite a lot going forward (I find it nicer to work with than Serum already and a little more immediate to program compared to Avenger, which is my favorite synth right now).

They really nailed the filters in ANA: get a clean saw, adjust Roly and you’re done. Although they still have to work out some ergonomy details, this one is in my quick access shortlist along Falcon, Transfuser and Alchemy.

Serum is good to have for it’s wavetable manipulation capabilities - even to create new tables to be further used with ANA. Avenger still too buggy on mac and lately more windows users started to complain about so if you can use it, tou’re in luck

sircuit wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:00 am They really nailed the filters in ANA: get a clean saw, adjust Roly and you’re done. Although they still have to work out some ergonomy details, this one is in my quick access shortlist along Falcon, Transfuser and Alchemy.

Serum is good to have for it’s wavetable manipulation capabilities - even to create new tables to be further used with ANA. Avenger still too buggy on mac and lately more windows users started to complain about so if you can use it, tou’re in luck
They really did nail the filters in this one. i played it when it came out, bought it that night. If i use wavetables - its this or dune 3 now. Serum doesn't get used that much. And yes, avenger just sits on my hard drive. I find it mostly unusable, which sucks.
I think the thing with ana2 is - its fun and quick to use. Combined with the awesome filters - great synth.

For the record, i also get weird stuff happening when i use the LFOs to modulate FX parameters. Doesnt like it at all.
Or for example, if i use the LFO to modulate the depth of the Graphic LFO. Doesn't seem to like that one bit.

Other than that, my request would be - turn the sample layers into multi sample layers. Done

Agreed on the ease of use. And there is more:

I wrote the soundtrack for a retro videogame this weekend (I were in a contest: make a videogame in 48 hours). I decided to go half Chiptune, half Synthwave. Considering how little time we had, I went for ANA 2 for the entire Synthwave palette due to its interface, so fast to program any sound with it.

It delivered that classic Synthwave sound with almost no effort.

If you are curious, have a listen: everything Synthwave is ANA 2, four tracks (downmixed here) produced in just six hours with no presets. ANA 2 user experience at its best:

https://soundcloud.com/ignoranceisstrength/dont-panic
MAN FROM SPACE
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/135uz9UwHtdXZgiFyAc3oz
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/manfromspace

GumRoad (FREE Ableton racks and synth presets): https://gumroad.com/manfromspace

nachenko wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:31 pm Agreed on the ease of use. And there is more:

I wrote the soundtrack for a retro videogame this weekend (I were in a contest: make a videogame in 48 hours). I decided to go half Chiptune, half Synthwave. Considering how little time we had, I went for ANA 2 for the entire Synthwave palette due to its interface, so fast to program any sound with it.

It delivered that classic Synthwave sound with almost no effort.

If you are curious, have a listen: everything Synthwave is ANA 2, four tracks (downmixed here) produced in just six hours with no presets. ANA 2 user experience at its best:

https://soundcloud.com/ignoranceisstrength/dont-panic
Very nice work! You got ANA sounding super nice. Awesome!

Return to “Instruments”