Eventide Instant Phaser Mk II released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

perfumer wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:35 am Eventide wanted to make a flanger and made a phaser, that's how inept they were.
At first glance one might invoke Poe's Law for this comment, but after reading other posts of this fella, it seems to be Dunning–Kruger effect so intense that it bends space-time.

must be a BLAST at parties

Pingafuego wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:46 am Is it included with Anthology XI?
Its a free upgrade for owners of BOTH Anthology X and Anthology XI.

perfumer wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:35 am
plexuss wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:06 am
electro wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:41 pm What about the Audiodamage Phase Three?
Phase 3 is also very nice. The thing is there are many different phaser approaches/sounds out there I don't think there is just one phaser to beat them all. In terms of the specific phasing that Instant Mk2 creates, it's the best only because it's the only phaser (I know of) that sounds the way it does. Same with Phase 3, although the Phase 3 sound is used in other phasers too. I don't think of Instant Mk2 as a go-to phaser only because it has a unique sound that wont be appropriate in all cases. :phones:
Eventide wanted to make a flanger and made a phaser, that's how inept they were. So how good could that be? Certainly not 'the best', whatever that is.

...and the flanger came out on the second try. They read up a little, looked at the competition, thought a bit harder - et voila!
Well they invented the phaser in the process. Sometimes the best inventions are by accident.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:28 pm Well they invented the phaser in the process. Sometimes the best inventions are by accident.
Univibe predates Instant Phaser by more than a few years. Eventide folks most definitely knew what they were doing back then (and ever since), they made studio quality rackmount phaser, they didn't stumble upon it.

This is a really great analog style phaser. I probably tested it a whole minute before buying lol. Not very versatile sound wise but it is good when its good. Great sound, GUI and intro price. ($30.99 at everyplugin.com)

Any idea how long this enticing $37 intro price will last? Thanks.

Till Feb 28th, still a bit of time :)

mcbpete wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:39 pm Till Feb 28th, still a bit of time :)
Awesome, thanks! :tu:

Regarding "jerky" LFO, I've checked schematic of original machine and it is a smart little thing.
LFO is actually square LFO going into fixed low pass filter. When LFO speed increase, output waveform resembles triangle wave more and more, with decreasing amplitude as LFO frequency increases. When LFO speed decrease, output waveform resembles square wave more and more. Thing is that sweep rate (when output is swept) is roughly constant and independent of LFO frequency. With LFO frequency in lower range, you get upward sweep then pause than downward sweep then pause again.
With effects such as phasers, choruses and flangers, amount of perceived detune is proportional to sweep rate. This means that with usual LFO modulator scheme, detune amount increase when you increase LFO frequency, and vice versa. OTOH, folks at Eventide probably figured out sweet spot for detune amount, and than made LFO scheme such that detune amount is constant regardless of LFO speed.

EDIT: one big correction, schematic was for BPC-101 phaser expansion card for Instant Flanger, not for PS-101, I haven't found PS-101 schematic, but it would not be surprised that they've used similar scheme.

urosh wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:43 pm
v1o wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:28 pm Well they invented the phaser in the process. Sometimes the best inventions are by accident.
Univibe predates Instant Phaser by more than a few years. Eventide folks most definitely knew what they were doing back then (and ever since), they made studio quality rackmount phaser, they didn't stumble upon it.
On the Youtube 'making of' video, they said there were the first pro audio effects box to simulate this effect.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:19 pm On the Youtube 'making of' video, they said there were the first pro audio effects box to simulate this effect.
Pro audio yes, as in studio grade rackmount box, but phaser existed already in guitar FX land.

mixtur.se wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:48 pm Hi Guys

I decided to put all my plugins to the test before buying this, you´ll find all the examples here:
https://groovetools.blogspot.com/2019/0 ... otout.html

Tested:
Softube Fix Phaser
Native Instruments Phasis
Eventide Instant Phaser Mk II
Bluecat Phaser
Waves MetaFlanger
Cubase stock Phaser
Great test, thanks!
Phasemistress is my fav, on my wishlist,
followed by Metaflanger which I have.
Don't see the need for the extra watery Eventide Instant Phaser Mk II. But I agree with others that on some occasions it might work very well.

Sequent wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:03 pm I too only heard about it here on KVR. I suppose the email from Eventide is forthcoming. I decided to poke around on the Eventide site before jumping on a purchase.
A bit late, but yep looks like they've finally sent the mail out for this about an hour ago...

I wanted to use Instant Phaser with a slow modulation but with a regular triangle wave. I worked out two ways to do it: 1) using Voltage Modular and the plugin host module, modulate "manual" with an LFO, or 2) using a 1khz sine wave through a tremelo (goodhertz) and into the side-chain, on envelope mode. Both work pretty well can also modulate the phaser with other waveforms. :phones:

Return to “Effects”