I'm a foley artist, ask me to make free stuff!

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Some foley classics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCFQFgLQJvM
Shane Sanders wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:14 pm The sound of one hand clapping!

;-)
One of my friends in high school was so skinny and flexible, he could flap his arm and get his fingers to slap the wrist of the same arm, making a clapping sound.

also this... might be helpful..

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=257099

just saying bruh! :-)...

Also wind blowing through objects...

You could download XOXOS wind foley
VST from the link above, then load
an Impulse Response VST plugin with
the hundreds of impulse out there
including inside stuff (or make an IR)
and that should do it..

Heri Mkocha

Shane Sanders wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:14 pm The sound of one hand clapping!
That's called slapping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDneKa9nFts

Keep your pimp hand strong, people. ;-)

Dan95363 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:24 pm For sure, although I'm still on the high school grind so time isn't really on my hands like that if y'know what I mean.
Record your high school then! Kids in a cafeteria ambience. Class bell and people shuffling books and grabbing their bags. People opening and closing their locker door. The sound of people doing whatever in gym class. School band tuning their instruments. Sprots teams practicing.

Just be conscious of recording individuals' speech where they can be identified, and check your local laws regarding such recordings (legality, consent, etc.).

highkoo wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:02 pm A random special kind of sound I am obsessed with using and have a hard time finding;

Various types of chains.
Being dragged. Kicked. Hanging. Slid(?) around.
On clean or dirty surfaces; cement, metal, wood.

Maybe other small resonant metal bits too, but I think the sameness and connectedness of the many links in a chain is a part of why its a special sound...

A niche market for sure! :hihi:
I don't really have access to chains right now sorry... You can check out the metal/plastic foley pack on my website though (free oc)

harryupbabble wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:24 pm What instruments do you have? If you have a bass guitar, how about sampling ALL the notes of that bass?
That would fall under the category of sampler instruments, which isn't what I'm really offering... this is more for sound effects. Great free synths that come to mind however are TyrellN6, Synth1, and SQ8L.

yellowmix wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:51 pm
Dan95363 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:24 pm For sure, although I'm still on the high school grind so time isn't really on my hands like that if y'know what I mean.
Record your high school then!
No haha. Recording conversation and random things that people don't agree to or know about isn't okay in my book, although I could definitely see it yielding interesting results...

P.S. Sorry for turning a few of these requests - I'm still interest in ideas though, keep them coming!

glass breaking

deastman wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:26 pm A ukulele salesman riding a stubborn zebra which slips, tumbling down a flight of stairs until they both land at the bottom in a tub of lime jello.
You cant whip that up in Synth1..?
ImageImageImageImage

Dan95363 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:16 pm
harryupbabble wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:24 pm What instruments do you have? If you have a bass guitar, how about sampling ALL the notes of that bass?
That would fall under the category of sampler instruments, which isn't what I'm really offering... this is more for sound effects. Great free synths that come to mind however are TyrellN6, Synth1, and SQ8L.
Ooops, sorry. I just looked up the definition of the word foley. I understand now.

Still, wouldn't it be nice to have a software that totally isolates any instrument from any band's music and then sample that one particular instrument, note for note?

It would probably be illegal to do that but is the technology even possible? It would be a challenge to any developer's skill, eh?
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

jancivil wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:13 am glass breaking
You got it brotha. Ice makes the same sound, and there's plenty of that available right now!

glass smashing can be rather musical, and impactful.
Your recordings so far sound very clean and present so... thanks in advance

walking in snow?
the woods (cracking twigs and such)
street sounds (kids playing in distance/traffic/ice cream vans)
hitting stuff with a stick! bins/fences/tension cables
same as above but with a pipe!

Falling -Debris, Big stones & Cement- sounds. I love those.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”