Zero Latency Limiter plugin?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

InsertNameHere wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:07 am I already have studio quality plugin limiters that I use, but I'm looking for a zero latency limiter more as protection when playing virtual instruments in a live setting. Any suggestions? PSP just came out with one, and I might just go with that unless convinced otherwise.
Zero-delay (brick-wall) limiter is a sort of clipper!

InsertNameHere wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:07 am ... zero latency limiter more as protection when playing virtual instruments in a live setting...
having no clue as to what limiter lives inside your DAW
LIVE10; it's native limiter has a 0ms latency setting
and it's designed for a "live setting"
8)
peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Unlimited? Freebie

acousticglue wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:44 pm Unlimited? Freebie
One of my favorite limiters, but it has 120 samples of latency so I don't think it serves the purpose of this thread.

AFAIK actual zero latency limiting does not exist - physically impossible. You can have low latency or clippers tho.

Liero wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:41 pm AFAIK actual zero latency limiting does not exist - physically impossible. You can have low latency or clippers tho.
In the past Loudmax was a 0 latency limiter (like up to version 1.22 or 1.23), I don't know why it has latency added now.

heavymetalmixer wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:56 pm
Liero wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:41 pm AFAIK actual zero latency limiting does not exist - physically impossible. You can have low latency or clippers tho.
In the past Loudmax was a 0 latency limiter (like up to version 1.22 or 1.23), I don't know why it has latency added now.
The most likely reason is that it actually had latency, it just didn't report it.

Go with a clipper on your main out. It will at least protect your circuitry. That being said there are lot’s of limiters with no latency, they just can’t have look-ahead processing. It’s as simple as that.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

I've been searching for it too.

So far I found the Steinberg Brickwall Limiter (Cubase Stock Limiter) 1.0ms

Third-party plugins include:
Waves L2 and L3 Ultra are the lowest under 48000Hz sample rate, at 1.3ms.
IK Multimedia TR-5 Brickwall Limiter comes in second, at 1.6 ms

X limit from SSL is zero latency and very good

ywshuo wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:38 am I've been searching for it too.

So far I found the Steinberg Brickwall Limiter (Cubase Stock Limiter) 1.0ms

Third-party plugins include:
Waves L2 and L3 Ultra are the lowest under 48000Hz sample rate, at 1.3ms.
IK Multimedia TR-5 Brickwall Limiter comes in second, at 1.6 ms
This basically.

Though Logic's Limiter/Advanced Limiter don't occur additional latency. If you turn off Lookahead and Oversampling if possible that will usually reduce limiter's latency footprint

Voxengo EBusLim, 0.5ms

Klanghelm DC8C https://klanghelm.com/contents/products/DC8C.html does have a limiter mode and you can set it to 0 latency. At least that's what is reported back to my DAW.

"zero latency brick-wall limiting" is on the list of features.

In general, it's a really great compressor plugin!
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

Apogee Soft Limit.

Well.. sorta.

One can think of a clipper with an instant attack and instant release. If you want zero latency, then your limiter has to have an instant attack (in the same sense as a clipper), but it can still have a longer release.

So in terms of the waveform, it essentially clips on one side, but it can still preserve the waveform on the other side after the strongest peak. The most important consequence in practice is that if the signal exceeds the threshold for more than just a single isolated peak, then this sort of limiter can still sometimes pass some of the waveform as long as there is a higher peak first to trigger the GR.

Return to “Effects”