DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.1)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

I guess you are on Mac? You have to ask Bitwig about the current state of this problem.

Independently of this problem, always save your work! Hitting Ctrl+S is really fast.
Thanks for the info! I definitely save my work, unfortunately saving isn't a useful workaround in this case - I'd need to remember press Ctrl+S every 5 minutes (that's a lot in a 12 hour writing session - 100 times every day, doesn't sound like a nice writing session to me) which is a real workflow killer. We all know that frequent crashes every session are a workflow killer, and the main reason I use Bitwig and Push 2 = workflow boost.

Also Bitwig's Project Recovery after crash is broken, it resets many VST instrument and FX settings and forgets things like cue markers and a few other project settings (I've reported these to Bitwig). Push 2 is impractical to use on a mac with Bitwig right now, until this crash bug has been resolved.

I reached out to Bitwig, and will see if we have any further updates!
http://www.youtube.com/reflekshun
Music Producer / Audio Engineer

Hi, I am using lp pro with the drivenbymoss script; in a piece to be played live I do need to record audio out for each instrument (to avoid messing up with record automation on-off) so I have added several audio tracks (like tracks 1-6); now the problem is:

if by mistake I select the audio track, the launchpad won't keep sending notes to the corresponding midi track, if I press "NOTE" nothing happens. However I've only one track with input from the launchpad, so the behaviour I want is that note always work, and if possible also the colour stays the same.

To clarify: I know I could select the corresponding midi track but this harms workflow, as I have the audio track clips on tracks 1-6 so some instruments are on tracks 9-16, which means I have to switch the window twice, once to select the input track, then to start recording in the audio track. Almost impossible to do it live with no mistakes.

vincenzoml wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:07 am Hi, I am using lp pro with the drivenbymoss script; in a piece to be played live I do need to record audio out for each instrument (to avoid messing up with record automation on-off) so I have added several audio tracks (like tracks 1-6); now the problem is:

if by mistake I select the audio track, the launchpad won't keep sending notes to the corresponding midi track, if I press "NOTE" nothing happens. However I've only one track with input from the launchpad, so the behaviour I want is that note always work, and if possible also the colour stays the same.

To clarify: I know I could select the corresponding midi track but this harms workflow, as I have the audio track clips on tracks 1-6 so some instruments are on tracks 9-16, which means I have to switch the window twice, once to select the input track, then to start recording in the audio track. Almost impossible to do it live with no mistakes.
I guess the safest thing would be to use a 2nd controller. Another idea is to use an instrument selector instead of individual tracks for your instruments. Then you have in sum only 7 tracks. The selector also has the advantage of needing less resources and you can trigger the selection of an instrument with a clip.

moss wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:55 am I guess the safest thing would be to use a 2nd controller. Another idea is to use an instrument selector instead of individual tracks for your instruments. Then you have in sum only 7 tracks. The selector also has the advantage of needing less resources and you can trigger the selection of an instrument with a clip.
Hi Jurgen, thanks for your reply.

Although it can be a very good idea to keep a muted track with all instruments -- that could be the 1st track -- instrument selector is not viable since I have one controller per instrument. So the launchpad is the controller of a specific instrument. Also, by doing this, I can't add a midi clip to test different sounds. I would really prefer to leave instruments on tracks 9-16 but send notes to them anyway (simplest possible patch is let the note button work anyway even if the selected track is audio, then bitwig takes care of routing).

So to clarify: my question is how can I bind the notes mode of the launchpad to a specific track, as I do with "standard" non-modal controllers, so that when I press the "note" key notes pass through and go to the tracks that have launchpad as an input? I can understand this leaves the colour undetermined, but on the other hand it's a quite standard idea, to bind a controller without permitting it to go to other tracks.

vincenzoml wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:05 am So to clarify: my question is how can I bind the notes mode of the launchpad to a specific track, as I do with "standard" non-modal controllers, so that when I press the "note" key notes pass through and go to the tracks that have launchpad as an input? I can understand this leaves the colour undetermined, but on the other hand it's a quite standard idea, to bind a controller without permitting it to go to other tracks.
If I understand you correctly, you are already using multiple controllers and you want the Launchpad to control exactly 1 instrument and not change track when you change it on one of the other controllers, right?
If this is the case, you can simply pin the launchpad to the instrument track. Go to the IO pane on the right in Bitwig, locate the Cursor Track of the Launchpad extension and pin it. Also see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPjdhBtNNP0

Dear Jurgen,

thanks for replying so quickly; I have already pinned my launchpad. But that only binds the faders, not the notes unfortunately. I've observed the same behaviour with the AKAI apc 25. So this does not address my need.

Unrelated question: why are there three controllers in my IO/Section? See attached screenshot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vincenzoml wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:51 am thanks for replying so quickly; I have already pinned my launchpad. But that only binds the faders, not the notes unfortunately. I've observed the same behaviour with the AKAI apc 25. So this does not address my need.
You are right, play input is independent from that.
What you need to do:
1) Select the Launchpad as an input for the specific instrument channel
2) Disable "auto rec arm" in the settings (because this will turn off your Launchpad channel everytime you switch chanels)
3) Enable Monitor Input or Rec arm on the Launchpads Instrument channel
vincenzoml wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:51 am Unrelated question: why are there three controllers in my IO/Section? See attached screenshot.
There are actually 4. You get an entry for each extension you install.

Hi Moss
its your favorite NON Musician again

Today I felt a bit musical so I turned on all my gear
and started to twiddle knobs on the MatrixBrute
and thought that sound would be good uusing on the Arturia keystep
but as soon as I plugged it in the Platform icon m+ stopped working
the display stays on but none of the faders work
iv tried changing usb ports but its always the same I cant seem to have both plugged in at the same time
is there any reason you can think of that is casing this conflict
this only happens with the keystep all my other controllers play nice with the mixer

any help much appreciated

cheers
kev
BWS 5.0.6,Spark LE, V Collection 9.2 BS1 & BS PRO, KS & KS pro keylab 25, Axiom pro 49,Behringer UMC1820,LPP ProFx8 v2 Icon m+, KRK 10/3,win 10 pro,i7 5820k 4ghz ,16G ddr 4 1TB NVMe.M2 msi x99a sli + NV GF Gt710, Matrix Brute Roland TR8S

turbo_kev wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:34 pm Today I felt a bit musical so I turned on all my gear
and started to twiddle knobs on the MatrixBrute
and thought that sound would be good uusing on the Arturia keystep
but as soon as I plugged it in the Platform icon m+ stopped working
the display stays on but none of the faders work
iv tried changing usb ports but its always the same I cant seem to have both plugged in at the same time
is there any reason you can think of that is casing this conflict
this only happens with the keystep all my other controllers play nice with the mixer
All the usual USB trouble shooting:
- Replace cable
- directly plugin into computer (no usb-hub)
- try a different port

DrivenByMoss 5.10 is released!
  • Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol 1 S25, S49, S61, S88 1.1
    • New: Improved displayed scale colors. Only the root note is now displayed in the track color. All other notes are colored in white. Played note are in green or red if recording. Furthermore, sequenced notes are also displayed in green.
    • New: If a track with a drum device is selected the keyboard LEDs display the according slot colors.
    • New: Keyboard range is displayed on screen and display if changed.
    • New: SHIFT+BACK - Toggles monitor on the selected track.
    • New: SHIFT+ENTER - Toggles rec arm on the selected track.
  • Generic Flexi 2.1
    • New: Added command: "Device: Parameters"
  • Generic Utilities 1.0 added (AutoColor)

Dear Jurgen,

I am starting to suspect there's a bug in v. 5 of your script, since we both appear to be convinced that with auto-arm disabled, the launchpad should send notes, but it does not. My "auto arm" is disabled both for audio and for midi tracks. The only track having the launchpad as input is rec-armed, and monitoring is enabled. Furthermore, auto-monitoring is disabled. But when I open the project, and the launchpad session window is on tracks 1-8 (sessions -- that is, rows -- 1-8, also), the NOTE button *does not do anything*. So I can't switch to notes / scales and play.
vincenzoml wrote: ↑Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:51 am
Unrelated question: why are there three controllers in my IO/Section? See attached screenshot.
There are actually 4. You get an entry for each extension you install.
No :) I see what you mean, but I want to ask: "why are there three controllers *for the launchpad* in my IO section" (see screenshot), that is, I have one controller for APC25, one for K-BOARD, one for generic, but *three* for novation launchpad! Why is that? Seems like I have 24 faders in the launchpad?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vincenzoml wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:47 pm My "auto arm" is disabled both for audio and for midi tracks. The only track having the launchpad as input is rec-armed, and monitoring is enabled. Furthermore, auto-monitoring is disabled. But when I open the project, and the launchpad session window is on tracks 1-8 (sessions -- that is, rows -- 1-8, also), the NOTE button *does not do anything*. So I can't switch to notes / scales and play.
Sorry, no idea what is going on on your system. I just gave it a try and had no problem making this work (Launchpad Pro, Push 2, Komplete Mk2, icon QCon). Maybe you can do a video?
vincenzoml wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:47 pm No :) I see what you mean, but I want to ask: "why are there three controllers *for the launchpad* in my IO section" (see screenshot), that is, I have one controller for APC25, one for K-BOARD, one for generic, but *three* for novation launchpad! Why is that? Seems like I have 24 faders in the launchpad?
Ah, I see. These are 3 cursor devices, you get a description if you have with the mouse over it. The first is for checking if a drum device is on the track, the second is the actual cursor device and the third is necessary for implementing the 64 drum mode.

Generic Flexi 2.1 !!
Thanks Moss !!
VST Mappings for Bitwig
--Bitwig 5/ Live10 Suite/ Maschine/ HP X360 8Core--

Would the Maschine Micro script work withe the MK3? The are somewhat similar?

moss wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:07 am
jsterne wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:20 pm One other question. I can't seem to get User mode working. I have Numerology set up to run in user mode on Live, but I can't seem to get it happening with Bitwig and Push 2. Thx.
See my previous answer about Remote Controls. Either use those or do an individual mapping either with e.g. my Generic Flexi extension or use the direct mapping feature of Bitwig (learn and assign a midi controller to any element in Bitwig).
Thanks for all your replies (and for Flexi mode, which I used to get my MIDI Fighter Twister working). One last go-around. In Live, Numerology has a custom script that runs on Push in user mode. So the scripting work is already done there. You install it in Numerology standalone, and then open Live, hit user mode, and it just runs in Push if you've got a Numerology VST on a track. I take it this is not possible in Bitwig unless I do the mapping myself through the Flexi?

Return to “Controller Scripting”