MIDI controller mapping OB6/Prophet-6/X-Touch Mini/... to RePro, Diva, Hive and others - for Reaper only

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I created a Reaper MIDI Mapper "plugin" and related RePro and Diva midiassign files, which give you the following functions:

- Mapping of nearly all OB6 parameters
- Relative and Fine knob modes
- Various special mappings, e.g. OB6 Pan Spread to RePro-5's eight Oscillator Pan "Tweaks", and Detune+Unison affecting various Diva parameters
- Shift function (to control the third oscillator in Diva with the oscillator 1 knobs, control more FX parameters, etc.)

How is it done?
- The Reaper MIDI plugin, written in the JSFX language, maps OB6 NRPN parameters to CC parameters. It scales them and applies special logic e.g. for LFO and VCO shapes
- It uses the channels and controller modes and types in the u-he products' MIDI assignment table

How to use it?
- You need the Reaper DAW. If you do not have it: it is good value, and there is a 30-day demo version available
- Backup your RePro and Diva midiassign.txt files. They are in the same folder as the Preferences.txt files, see the RePro/Diva User Guides.
- Put the midiassign files provided here in their place
- Put the Mapper file provided here in Reapers Effects folder. To find it, use Reaper's menu: Options / Show Reaper Resource path.
- In Reaper, add the Mapper before the RePro or Diva plugins in your track ("Add FX to Track", Subfolder JS, use Filter for "OB6")
- The mapper has a slider, to select which VST you want to control (RePro-1, RePro-5, Diva, Generic)

Usage Notes
- The Relative and Fine control modes are selected with the Arpeggiator Octaves knob on the OB6:
1 = normal mode
2 = relative mode
3 = fine mode (relative+fine)
- The Shift function is accessed with the Arpeggiator On/off Switch on the OB6
- When you begin to use the mapper, it does not know the initial state of the OB6 buttons. Therefore, in some cases the first press of the button is without effect
- For further details, see the attached file "Details for each VST"

Thanks
- I was able to provide the Relative and Fine modes, because u-he offers a) channels and b) different controller modes and types in their MIDI assign tables. I needed the different channels also because of the large number of different CCs.
- And I was also very happy that Reaper offers the possibility to write your own MIDI plugins using a (relatively) simple script language. For anyone interested in this, I can recommend the page: https://www.admiralbumblebee.com/music/ ... ratch.html as an introduction.

Greetings from Lübeck, Germany
Edo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by evg on Sun May 16, 2021 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

just noticed, I forgot one step in "How to use it?":
- Switch the OB6 to transmit NRPN instead of CC. Press:
"Globals", "Param Xmit / 5", increment/decrement so the display shows "nr". Press "Globals" two more times.

Sweet sweet love to the OB-6 ! Appreciate your work man! Thanx for sharing!
I gave it a try and installed everything. Loaded a track with the JS plug and Diva and set the input of the track to OB-6. I can ofcourse play the presets with the OB-6 but turning knobs is not doing anything in Diva. Any hints? Ofcourse I also replaced the midi assign file.

Ok, I got it working! My mistake!
Why didn't you map the master output of Repro-1 to the master volume of OB-6?

nr1killabee wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:36 pm Sweet sweet love to the OB-6 ! Appreciate your work man! Thanx for sharing!
I gave it a try and installed everything. Loaded a track with the JS plug and Diva and set the input of the track to OB-6. I can ofcourse play the presets with the OB-6 but turning knobs is not doing anything in Diva. Any hints? Ofcourse I also replaced the midi assign file.

Ok, I got it working! My mistake!
Why didn't you map the master output of Repro-1 to the master volume of OB-6?

what did you do ?
for me repro works great but with diva no luck !?

Glad you got the stuff working (most of it) and enjoy it!

Regarding mapping of OB6 master volume or OB6 program volume: I decided to use the program volume, because the Diva/Repro volume is stored as part of the preset (program). The master volume would be suitable to control the track volume in the DAW, in my opinion. But you can easily change it, of course.

Regarding Diva problems: I think I forgot to mention that you have to choose the softsynth (Repro-1 or 5 or Diva or "Generic") with the slider in the Mapper plugin. Although: that only changes details in the behavior. Cutoff etc. should work always.
Does the (very long) MIDI mapping table show in the VST?
Sometimes I got confused when I had the "shift" (Arp On) button on and had forgotten about that.

Don't know if this is useful for you, but for me it was helpful to put the MIDI Logger JSFX before and after my MIDI Mapper, to analyze problems.
You could check whether the mapper passes CC values or not.

evg wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:58 pm

Regarding Diva problems: I think I forgot to mention that you have to choose the softsynth (Repro-1 or 5 or Diva or "Generic") with the slider in the Mapper plugin. Although: that only changes details in the behavior. Cutoff etc. should work always.
Does the (very long) MIDI mapping table show in the VST?
Sometimes I got confused when I had the "shift" (Arp On) button on and had forgotten about that.

Don't know if this is useful for you, but for me it was helpful to put the MIDI Logger JSFX before and after my MIDI Mapper, to analyze problems.
You could check whether the mapper passes CC values or not.
yes i put it on diva.
the midi mapping table is full 1-421
Arp is off
midi logger shows movement when i turn the knobs

its somehow strange because the 2 repro synths work great !

For me they worked all 3. But as he said, you have to select the correct plugin in the mapper and you have to copy the midiassign file to the correct location. I had to do a windows search first to discover that I had 2 folders with diva, maybe you have a similar problem?
Last edited by nr1killabee on Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nr1killabee wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:39 am For me they worked all 3. But as he said, you have to select the correct plugin in the mapper and you have to copy the midiassign file to the correct location. I had to do a windows search first to discorver that I had 2 folders with diva, maybe you have a similar problem?

i selceted the correct plugin and i only have one diva folder :pray:

Hi wanne,
someone on this forum (German)
https://www.sequencer.de/synthesizer/th ... 27/page-31
has the same problem. In case you're not the same person and not German-speaking:
- maybe a problem with some versions of Diva? Mine is 1.4.3
- I noticed that the VST3-version of Diva does not work correctly with the relative and fine modes
- sounds silly, but it could happen that you position the MIDI plugin _after_ the Diva plugin in Reaper's "Track FX".

What kind of movement does the MIDI Logger show? It should be just CCs (second hexadecimal value is the CC number and is different for each knob), not NRPNs (they are alway sent as four CCs, with second value 63, then 62, the 06, then 26).
If you get it working, tell us how ;-)
Best regards,
Edo

brief update:
I added Hive and some non u-he synths as mapping targets. Mapper scripts and MIDI assignment files attached in this thread (sorry, in German): https://www.sequencer.de/synthesizer/th ... 27/page-32
Edo

Thanks!
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

I have switched to a different, much more elegant technology now: I use the free ReaLearn plugin in Reaper, instead of hand-coded JSFX, and everything is based on a standard set of parameters for analog synths that I defined. Controller and VST Mappings can be combined in any way.

Currently available controller presets (Controller Mappings):
- Behringer X-Touch Mini (8 Encoders, 16 buttons)
- Midiplus X2 to X6 mini
- Sequential OB6
- Sequental Prophet-6

Currently available VST presets (Main Mappings):
- u-he Repro (1 and 5)
- u-he Hive
- u-he Diva
- TAL J-8
- TAL U-No-LX
- TAL BaseLine 101
- Sonicprojects OP-X Pro II

- Dexed (with a completely different parameter set - DX instead of SY)

ReaLearn SY is available via ReaPack from repository https://github.com/vonglan/reaper-packa ... /index.xml . For documentation, and for direct file download, go here: https://github.com/vonglan/realearn-sy-presets

Return to “u-he”