Logic Pro X alternative

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I’m very happy with Ableton Live on Mac
Sweet child in time...

beely wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:42 pm Just to weigh on on some of the comments above:

Logic doesn't need to be "rewritten", it's always had a modern codebase (it's usually the first of the large apps to support forward-looking changes - PPC -> Intel, 32 -> 64 Bits etc etc). It just needs work bit by bit to update some of the old legacy stuff, which is happening (not as fast as some would like of course).
I agree to a degree. I'm wary of Apple for all the same reasons I'm wary of NI.
They support certain things quite well, and kill off others. Look at the suite around Logic Studio, all gone, Soundiver, WaveBurner, Soundtrack Pro, all gone. The slash and burn policy is real. Now I don't think Logic is going anywhere, but I also seriously doubt, (and this isn't an Apple/Logic thing, all DAWs have this issue to a degree), that legacy issues that aren't universally whined about get addressed. Most Logic users are not up in arms about Logic not addressing AUi's by port, not supporting or campaigning for MIDI out from AUi's, and are annoyed but not threatening to leave en mass over legacy GUI's recoded for resizing like the EXS24 the ES1 :o etc. Logic gets features to match Cubase and Pro Tools, their traditional competition, but like the rest, legacy areas that aren't that great tend to get addressed last in line. :?

As someone who has switched to different DAWs for fun or for a feature I wanted, I'm interested in the differences between them. If I had the money and time I would try to compile a current list of the main differences good and bad between the 10 or so major DAWs out there. It's not just for trivial reasons. I spent years trying to use Maschine like a drum machine VSTi in various DAWs, and literally depending on the update, NI break or fix Maschine's ability to change dynamically it's time signature along with the DAW. Since it doesn't natively support multiple time signatures in it's timeline it's a real headache for me to work with, despite having some amazing features and UX experience if you can accept it's limitations. Some DAWs react pretty heavily to VSTi's like Maschine, MPC2 etc. with their ability to host VSTi's. Some do this better than others, same with rewire, some get a CPU hit from it, others do not.

[edit] What I'm getting at is they all do essentially the same thing, but some tasks are easier in certain DAWs, and some are extensive workarounds. What you accept or need isn't always clear up front, at least in my experience.[/edit]

I really have no clue why I should have an alternative to Logic Pro... :roll:

Because the world could end tomorrow.

;)

martinjuenke wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:22 pm I really have no clue why I should have an alternative to Logic Pro... :roll:
because I might not have time to learn software when apple inexplicably drops it in two weeks

Ploki wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:39 pm

because I might not have time to learn software when apple inexplicably drops it in two weeks
In that scenario would it just stop working ?

dellboy wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:06 pm

In that scenario would it just stop working ?
In a "my computer just broke and the new ones only support 10.15 which logic doesn't support anymore" it would yes.

i just think apple's communication and attitude towards its professional base is crappy.

Since LPX is out, the updates are awesome and rapid. When you look at first X version you can easily call the latest one 11. I see no sign it is going away.On the contrary I am seeing a serious update in a few months.

andypryce wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:51 pm Since LPX is out, the updates are awesome and rapid. When you look at first X version you can easily call the latest one 11. I see no sign it is going away.On the contrary I am seeing a serious update in a few months.
Would love GUI updates to Ultrabeat and EXS24 tho.. I got everything I need in Logic otherwise :tu:

don't forget delay designer

martinjuenke wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:22 pm I really have no clue why I should have an alternative to Logic Pro... :roll:
Sorry, that‘s BS and you know it...

That is just not going to happen. It is a baseless concern.

It is true for a while Apple stopped prioritizing their pro stuff. At the time there was speculation they might drop it, but if they were considering that, that is no longer the case. Logic has had an amazing amount of development the past few years.

martinjuenke wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:03 pm
Sorry, that‘s BS and you know it...
yeah sorry didn't drink enough coffee yet.
the reason why i started this thread is because every mac since 2017 has had audio issues, and while they're not prevalent via Firewire, they happen on both my 13" and Mini when using built in interface, and apple has largely ignored this for ages.

so i was thinking about a windows machine and that's why i was looking at potential alternatives

andypryce wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:51 pm Since LPX is out, the updates are awesome and rapid. When you look at first X version you can easily call the latest one 11. I see no sign it is going away.On the contrary I am seeing a serious update in a few months.
The past few years with Logic have been so impressive. The changelogs are meters long! :tu:

Yeah yeah it was, i agree, and i;m super happy with it.
the Macs however, were less impressive

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”